V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
George,
Have a question concerning two of Amsoil's oils. What is the difference in the 20/50 motorcycle oil and the 20/50 series 2000 Racing oil?
I would seem that if you are not using the oil in your primary, the oil without the friction modifiers (series 2000 ) might be better if it does not come in contact with the clutch.
Any comments?

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
Old Chuck said:
George,
Have a question concerning two of Amsoil's oils. What is the difference in the 20/50 motorcycle oil and the 20/50 series 2000 Racing oil?
I would seem that if you are not using the oil in your primary, the oil without the friction modifiers (series 2000 ) might be better if it does not come in contact with the clutch.
Any comments?
I'm not george but if you want to try something different try the ATF Synthetic Universal Transmission Fluid.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Old Chuck said:
George,
Any comments?

I am also not George, but I do believe,before they came out with the "Motocycle oils" they were using this oil! I talked to a dealer rep at 1 of the motorcycle shows in Chicago, and he said it is pretty much the same oil except for the modifiers, but some were afraid to put it in their bikes because it did not say "Motorcycle" on it!
Just do not use it in your primary due to the clutch! Then use the Motocrcycle oil, it has no friction modifiers in it!:cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
bike oil

the old 20-50 works just fine, have used it in many *** bikes with wet clutches and the harley's primary without any problems, if the clutch is slippin :yes: it has got mechanical problems.:yes:

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Old Chuck said:
George,
Any comments?
There is differences with the additive package and the base stocks, but mostly the additive package. I have used the 20w 50 series 2,000 racing oil in my harleys, as well as my metric bikes and never had any clutch issues, but additive chemistry changes occur from year to year and what was good years ago might not be a good idea today. Amsoil, as well as many oil company's today, are using more moly in the oils in place of the more common anti-wear additives due to EPA concerns. With moly in the oil it could give you some clutch issues. If done right though it may not be an issue as I see that Honda uses some moly in their motorcycle oil and apparently don't have problems. Keep in mind with the HD engine you can use anything in the crankcase, but should be more careful with the primary oil.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to George

George,
Thanks for the reply. Have been using Amsoil for some time with no comnplaints. Just thought if the 20/50 Motorcycle and 20/50 racing had the same basic oil additives but the 20/50 Racing did not have the friction modifiers then the 20/50 racing might actually be better IF ONLY used in the engine crankcase. However, if it is an issue of other additives then I see why the motorcycle oil might be better. In any event, Thanks for answering.

·
Registered
81 Posts
George,
Maybe this was covered already and I was not paying attention, But this is not ment to start anything other then a question of your thoughts.
Have you seen the "Motor Oil Study" done, that they tested Mobil 1 for 1 year and then Amsoil for another year? I was wondering your thoughts on this as well as the idea that Amsoil went from a 5W-30 wieght to a 15W-40 wieght?How is that even Possible? I read the artical and I did not understand it too well! They were claiming the oil needed to be changed out, but then they still keeped it in there?????? I do not get that! Then the oil was OK???? This went to both Mobil 1 and Amsoil! They said Amsoil was the only one though, that went out of it's wieght Zone, But that it did very well with the metal count, or something like that! Anyway, I am interested in your thoughts!

Here is the site in question: http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
ahill said:
George,
Maybe this was covered already and I was not paying attention, But this is not ment to start anything other then a question of your thoughts.
Have you seen the "Motor Oil Study" done, that they tested Mobil 1 for 1 year and then Amsoil for another year? I was wondering your thoughts on this as well as the idea that Amsoil went from a 5W-30 wieght to a 15W-40 wieght?How is that even Possible? I read the artical and I did not understand it too well! They were claiming the oil needed to be changed out, but then they still keeped it in there?????? I do not get that! Then the oil was OK???? This went to both Mobil 1 and Amsoil! They said Amsoil was the only one though, that went out of it's wieght Zone, But that it did very well with the metal count, or something like that! Anyway, I am interested in your thoughts!

Here is the site in question: http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html
The test you are talking about went on a few years back. The test they ran did show amsoil's 5w 30 thickening to a 40 weight oil over time, but gave the best over all wear protection according to the lab reports. I didn't like the thickening characteristic of the oil and talked with Amsoil's cheif chemist about it and they did some checking and feel with the new formulation that just came out earlier this year addressed this issue. Even though the oil out performed the Mobil I it is best to stay in grade if for no other reason than fuel economy. Actually a little thicker oil will give better boundry lubrication under heavy loading. As far as your question concerning oils changing thickness grade it happens quite often. For example with motorcycle oil like Harley syn3 the oil usually thins out instead of thickening. Thickening normally occurs from oxidation and nitration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts