V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
710 Posts
wkohn said:
I sell Amsoil and this is what I have been using in my bike.
Summer months
MCV 20W-50 (engine and primary)
SVG 75W-90 (transmission) Might go to 75W-140 this summer

Winter
AME 15W-40 (engine)
MCV 20W-50 (primary)
SVG 75W-90 (transmission)

Mobil 1 works better that the other stuff at the stealer. I case you are low and need to add while out of town.

I used the new 20W50 Amsoil formula in my engine last season with Redline in the Trans. This season I'm going to try all Redline (20W50, MTL & Shockproof Heavy) because I think Redline makes a fantastic product. Prior to making this decision, I was also curious about using either Mobil or Amsoil's SVG 75W140 in my trans.

The following is the response I got back from Mobile regarding the use of their 75W140 gear oil in the Harley transmission: "The Mobil1 75W140 should not be used as this is too viscous of a fluid and will not allow proper protection, performance and shifting chracteristics."

· Premium Member
710 Posts
wkohn said:
Ask Mobil if they put a tackifier in there gear oils. If they do that could be why they do not recommend it. Amsoil does not use a tackifier.

Baker Transmissions recommends a 75W-140 to be used in their DD6.

With Redline before using them ask them to supply the following;
Four Ball Wear Test (ASTM D-4172 @ 40 kgf, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hour), Scar in mm (.40 or smaller would be good)
Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800) (3.89 or smaller would be good)
Total Base Number (11 or higher would be good)

When you get the info post it cause I would be very interested.

Last time I looked at Baker Drivetrain's web site they were recommending Shockproof Heavy for their transmissions, not sure about specific recommendation for their DD6 trans, nor do I care, I have a 5 speed.

Mobil1 could be using modified pancake syrup in the 75W140 gear oil for all I know, it doesn't effect me, I use Redline - just wanted to post their response as an FYI.

As far as as comparing the stats for Amsoil vs Redline, this is not my field or my concern even though I was a Petroleum Transfer Engineer at my first job I ever had. However, I would also like to see some real apples-to-apples comparison's of Amsoil vs. Redline. Frankly I'm surprised Amsoil has not yet provided this information seeing as though they compare their oil's to just about everyone else in the market. If you know any of the "powers-to-be" at Amsoil, maybe you could be influential in having them provide myself and the rest of the world with these analysis.

· Premium Member
710 Posts
wkohn said:
Have you noticed that Redline hasn't compared theirs to Amsoil? Another question I have for Redline is why are they so vague in their test results on their web site? Why not list the test results like Amsoil does so it is easier to compare for those that are not a Tribologist?
Not trying to get in a pissing match, especially since I'm just an end user, not distributor or mfg. Let me also go on the record to say I think Amsoil is a high quality product, but I also think Redline is of equal or in some cases greater quality.

In response to your statement I see that Redline compares their lubes with generic dino oil and a couple synthetics labeled as M & C. Amsoil compares their SAE 50 group oil to 14 specific manufacturers on their "White Paper". Based on a non scientific oil poll done in this Forum, Redline is one of the more popular oils being used, just under Amsoil, Mobil1 & SE Syn3 if I'm not mistaken, so why then would Amsoil not include Redline in the mix?

I'm in sales and have been for 20+ years. I believe in the expression "The Devil is in the Details" and that important details are in what is not being said more so than what is being said. If Amsoil went to the effort of examining 14 other competing motorcycle oils and left out Redline, I can only assume there was a reason and that it was not just an oversight.

Either way, I think trying to figure which oil is best between Amsoil vs. Redline is like comparing BMW vs. Mercedes or Ford vs. Chevy, you get the idea.

· Premium Member
710 Posts
chapds said:
I live in Socal guys, where it's year round riding & temp for riding pretty much never ever drops below 50. Dont know if that makes a difference in what I use, as I see some like the Severe Gear Oil & some run the 20/50 in all 3. Let me know, this tranny thing has me baffled.

Thanx
Chap
Redline Shockproof Heavy for Trans and MTL in the primary. In those temps I would be using Redline 20W60 in the engine. I'm sure I'll be reading a reply post shortly from wkohn still asking me why doesn't Redline compare there oils to Amsoil, but I'm sure you can do the research through this Forum as well as the various online resources and form your own educated conclusion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.