V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently installing a 95 kit on my 05 RKC. My riding style is one up and looking for low and midrange performance. After researching on this great site I came to the conclusion that the AMS build is best for me. I was advised to go with the KB348 pistons, Andrews 26g camshafts and the S&S gear drive kit, AMS ported heads and boring current cylinders, cometic .40 cometic headgasket, AMS LIF2148 lifters and possibly the Feuling oil pump. Exhaust with be the SE pro 2 slip ons and the SE air cleaner. Will be tuning with the SERT to complete build.

The question I have is I had lots of lifter rattle prior to this build. I had installed the baisley LMR2 spring with no results in lifter noise reduction. The oil pressure was checked and read 45 hot at 2500 and 15 at idle. It seems that I have a single lifter bleeding off and not staying pumped up. The noise would come and go with RPM changes at approx 2500-2800. I used a scope to determine the noise is exactly in the lifter area in block and not in the top end. After removing the current lifters and inspecting them, nothing was found. All were in spec and visually nothing seen. I am hoping for two results from this build. RELIABILITY and a QUIET valve train. The performance is a given for my current needs. Will this lifter combination with the feuling pump and the baisley LMR2 spring help the noisy valvetrain these engines have or will I be pumping to much oil in the top end and creating other issues. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Well first, welcome to the site!
I am no expert by any means but I have read an awful lot here. I am sure one of our resident expert builders will chime in on this. From my reading here, most builders unless they are doing a more radical build seem to prefer the stock lifters over others even with the feuling pump, you might just try a new set. Most say they are tthe quietest and perform quite well and are reasonably priced.
FWIW, there has been alot of discussion on here(there is a search feature, try it!) about the AMS/tw26 build and all of it is quite positive. You'll get more input on the lifters and the feuling. Good luck!

Just found this discription on the web, gotta scroll down the page a bit but very informitive
http://www.automotivemachine.com/harley.htm

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
I suspect you have a defective lifter on the 05 especially if you hear just one. Usually that amounts to just a mini piece of dirt in the valve. The Feuling and Harley "B" lifters are Delphi and the AMS are in fact "A" lifters with improved valving. Either should be quiet and the AMS might have a slight advantage by weighing less and having a larger oil resevoir. Don't expect miracles but the TW26 is a quiet grind but so are the stockers. The AMS lifters are the same cost + - as the new stockers so I personally would spring for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.