V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with them???

Just rethinking my head choices,I will be going with Andrews37b Cams
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
459 Posts
I've got them in my build and pretty satisfied with them. Dyno of the build is in the dyno section. Bike makes around 100 HP and 104 torque. This is with the scottsman heads around $350 exchange. Good luck.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,285 Posts
marvin4239 said:
I've got them in my build and pretty satisfied with them. Dyno of the build is in the dyno section. Bike makes around 100 HP and 104 torque. This is with the scottsman heads around $350 exchange. Good luck.
I believe he was asking about AMS heads and Scottsman heads would be SBC if I am not mistaken.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
459 Posts
springer- said:
I believe he was asking about AMS heads and Scottsman heads would be SBC if I am not mistaken.
Oops Sorry about that. Fingers are working quicker than my eyes. You are correct my heads are SBC's.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,636 Posts
I got the AMS heads as part of a package that came with Andrews 26 Gear drive cams and .043 headgasket.

The previous build on my '01 Ultra was an SE 95" kit, .030 headgasket, SE .203 cams, SE intake, and true duals with free flowing muffers. The bike always ran hot, pinged and knocked, and had a wandering idle. In my effort to get the bike running right, I installed 2 oil coolers, and went through 2 TFIs, a PCII, a PCIIIr and now the SERT. The SERT brought the bike "close" but it still ran hot and pinged when heat soaked.

Then I installed the AMS package, and the bike runs great. I mean like magic! Runs cool, starts and idles great, no knock or ping. My torque line is flat and the bike pulls long and hard all the way to the redline. As far as I am concerned, Tom and Steve at AMS know their stuff. They told me to keep the SE 95" flat tops and sold me a package that I am so pleased with. They said my problem stemmed from the poor flowing stock OEM heads which retained too much heat, the .030 head gasket which bumped my compression up to 10.25 to 1, and the .203 cams which did not flow enough. The AMS heads flow much better, and the cermet coated exhaust ports really cut down on the heat. The .043 headgasket lowered my compression to 9.3 to 1, which got rid of the knock. Heavy baggers, they said do not like high compression. I have to say, the bike has never run as good. They also told me that if I changed out my true duals with FullSacs for a good 2-1 like the D&D FatCat, I would gain about 10 more HP/TQ. But the bike runs so good now, I really don't want to change a thing.

Now I know there are other good head porters out there, SBC, Larry Hardy, Branch, Dwight, and so on. I'm sure they do just as good of a job too. But call AMS and talk to Steve or Tom. Tell them what you want, and how you want the bike to run. Tell them where you want your torque, and what your current and future modifications are, and they will work with you.

That's my experience.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,289 Posts
Paniolo said:
I
The previous build on my '01 Ultra was an SE 95" kit, .030 headgasket, SE .203 cams, SE intake, and true duals with free flowing muffers. The bike always ran hot, pinged and knocked, and had a wandering idle.
.........., the .030 head gasket which bumped my compression up to 10.25 to 1, and the .203 cams which did not flow enough.
It never fails to amaze me that people try the SE 203 in high compression application and after having spent a ton of money find out that it is a b$tch to get right. How do I know it? Went down the SE203 road myself some time ago.........Who sold this package to you?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,636 Posts
ViennaHog said:
It never fails to amaze me that people try the SE 203 in high comprssion application and after spending a ton of money find out that it is a b$tch to get right. Who sold this package to you?
The dealer, who else?

When I bought the bike back in '01, that was THE COMBINATION at the time. It was the same package they ran in the CVO SERG, the one with the bird painted on the sides of the fixed fairing. So I figured, if it's good enough for the MoCo CVO SERG, then it's good enough for my Ultra.

Now no one, not the selling dealer, or any of the other dealers who have ever worked on it, ever told me it was a recepie for heat and knock. In fact I thought all my problems were related to the M&M FI. So much so I gave serious thought to doing a Delphi swap. I started to figure out it was a build issue when I went on the CVO forums and started reading threads from the '01 SERG owners who the same problems. Who would have thought that?

When I talked to Steve at AMS, he explained it all to me. He suggested a build, I went with it, and now the bike runs like a totally different motorcycle. It runs better than I ever thought it would. It runs so good, I am never selling this bike.

Mark
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,289 Posts
Paniolo said:
The dealer, who else?

When I bought the bike back in '01, that was THE COMBINATION at the time. It was the same package they ran in the CVO SERG, the one with the bird painted on the sides of the fixed fairing. So I figured, if it's good enough for the MoCo CVO SERG, then it's good enough for my Ultra.

Now no one, not the selling dealer, or any of the other dealers who have ever worked on it, ever told me it was a recepie for heat and knock. In fact I thought all my problems were related to the M&M FI. So much so I gave serious thought to doing a Delphi swap. I started to figure out it was a build issue when I went on the CVO forums and started reading threads from the '01 SERG owners who the same problems. Who would have thought that?

When I talked to Steve at AMS, he explained it all to me. He suggested a build, I went with it, and now the bike runs like a totally different motorcycle. It runs better than I ever thought it would. It runs so good, I am never selling this bike.

Mark

Mark, glad that you found the right solution. I'll see how my new build comes along as soon as the snow is gone, sometime in April I hope.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
203 cam problems

These boards are full of "former" 203 owners. LOL My first 95 build was a dealer recommended, hi-comp piston and 203's. In Texas even. Needless to say, it wa nothing but problems. Called 4 local dealers to ask for advice, they all said it "should" work fine. The catalog says so. Now you know where I don't go for advice anymore. LOL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of porting do they do to the heads?
Do they cc the heads?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts
What Mark said.

Within the narrow scope of the builds they specialize in, the AMS heads are extraordinarily good, in no small part because they adress thermal efficiency issues most others do not.

Once you want more then that, then you get into the range of the Dewey's / 37G types of build, they are superior in that range.

If you want more then that, then you start looking at the Baisley's, T-Man's, BCG's and HQ's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HIPPO said:
What Mark said.

Within the narrow scope of the builds they specialize in, the AMS heads are extraordinarily good, in no small part because they adress thermal efficiency issues most others do not.

Once you want more then that, then you get into the range of the Dewey's / 37G types of build, they are superior in that range.

If you want more then that, then you start looking at the Baisley's, T-Man's, BCG's and HQ's.

So Dewey's would be the better choice for the 37Bs?:unsure:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts
On a light bike and if you are chasing numbers probably yes.

Tom is a very smart guy, and he builds what he builds looking for specific attributes. His big thing for fun is the Ironbutt rides, so that may factor into it.
 

·
your ad could be here
Joined
·
380 Posts
I have AMS heads.....

....and am very happy with them. Run a Thunderheader 2:1.

Got them b/c I anticipated living in Houston (which I do now) and higher compression is not exactly great in the heat here. Figured if anything, the lower compression would err on the side of durability and cool-running. By all accounts (including mine) they have gone strides to fix/resolve/improve the oil problems in the '05 heads (mine at oil before the switch) and my scooter runs cool and sonds extra deep and thupmy since getting them done. Lots more torque - a real low end bump. I also run a 37G cam kit on a Road King.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,636 Posts
HIPPO said:
Tom is a very smart guy, and he builds what he builds looking for specific attributes. His big thing for fun is the Ironbutt rides, so that may factor into it.
Hippo,

I have to aggree with you there. Tom is well known for his Dresser builds. I can see why the IronButt riders would love this build. I can just see myself clocking miles and miles on the freeway. It is so fun and torquey to ride.

There was a time when I would chase HP numbers, but not these days. I'm really into touring and going cross country. On my heavy bike, all I really need is Torque and Realiability.

I cannot believe how much cooler the bike runs too. I can literally feel that the engine is throwing off less heat. Last Sunday I rode in the neighborhood Christmas parade. It was about 1.5 miles, but with my zig-zagging back and forth across the roadway, it was more like 3 miles. I was dragging the rear brake and slipping the clutch. Several times I did a standing stop, with no foot down, just using the engine and brakes to create kinetic energy to keep the bike up. The engine was heat soaked when I finished. I took it for a cool down run, and it ran and idled fine. With my old build, the bike could have been idling as high as 2,700 rpms or as low as 600 rpms. The bike would also have not been running smooth enough to ride at a slow parade walk pace either. I finally got it to ping when I intentionally lugged it in 4th gear at 2,000rpms. Even then it was a short "thffpt" and away the bike pulled. Granted that was abusing the engine, and I know it, but I was testing the build.

I cannot say enough good things about my AMS build.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not chasing numbers at all. Just gave out a figure that i thought is reachable. I really just want more torque and reliability.
Guess i should have said that in the first place+SMSH+

The numbers will be better then stock...I hope:wavey:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
drdevon said:
....and am very happy with them. Run a Thunderheader 2:1.

Got them b/c I anticipated living in Houston (which I do now) and higher compression is not exactly great in the heat here. Figured if anything, the lower compression would err on the side of durability and cool-running. By all accounts (including mine) they have gone strides to fix/resolve/improve the oil problems in the '05 heads (mine at oil before the switch) and my scooter runs cool and sonds extra deep and thupmy since getting them done. Lots more torque - a real low end bump. I also run a 37G cam kit on a Road King.
drdevon your last sentence says you run a 37g in a Road King also. does this mean you are running a 37g with 05 AMS heads? If so do you know what the heads combustion chamber volume is? I am asking because I have the same setup not installed yet (also in TX Ft.Worth) and am debating whether to deck the heads to 83cc or so. They are being cc'd now and I should know what the volume is on Monday. My 05 heads suck oil too in fact i haave to change plugs to go on toy run tomorrow. Glad to hear that prob will be fixed.
 

·
your ad could be here
Joined
·
380 Posts
RoadGlide 05.....

.....I'll tell you what little i know.

I am running a 37G set in a road king with '05 AMS heads. With some mediocre race tuning (just enough so i could make a trip - the guy did ten passes) I got 89 hp and 99 tq (SAE, the lower numbers), and it's still boggy down low so there is plenty of work left to be done. Last time I had this done right (the race tuning) I had a lot more responsive and powerful bike after the tuning, adn figure there is more left in this one. I run SE flat-tops (had the Harley 95" kit when I bought new) and Harley jugs.

I have ridden the bike about 5500 miles or so since getting the heads done. The sound is excellent - very different and very good - and mile after mile she got stronger and stronger - like it will walk out from under you if you let it. Lots of yank.

I did not have the chambers cc'd so I do not know the volume - but likely they are near stock as Tom prefers a lower compression to a higher compression build. Would be interested to hear how your cc test comes out. Everyone here seems to recommend the decking you are doing with the Andrews 37 cams. Are you going gear drive?

By the way - used to live near Keller - lots of fond memories of Up in Smoke and other sights in the area. How long have you been there?

:wavey:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,636 Posts
drdevon said:
I am running a 37G set in a road king with '05 AMS heads. With some mediocre race tuning (just enough so i could make a trip - the guy did ten passes) I got 89 hp and 99 tq (SAE, the lower numbers), and it's still boggy down low so there is plenty of work left to be done.
Doctor,

What kind of pipes and exhaust are you running with your set up?

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts
roadglide05 said:
drdevon your last sentence says you run a 37g in a Road King also. does this mean you are running a 37g with 05 AMS heads? If so do you know what the heads combustion chamber volume is? I am asking because I have the same setup not installed yet (also in TX Ft.Worth) and am debating whether to deck the heads to 83cc or so. They are being cc'd now and I should know what the volume is on Monday. My 05 heads suck oil too in fact i haave to change plugs to go on toy run tomorrow. Glad to hear that prob will be fixed.

Deck them to 83 cc. Tom was here yesterday.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top