V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got to the track Thursday night around midnight. Got up the next morning and prepped the Pro Mod for test and tune session. Since all we had was 2 heat cycles on the top end, we decided to make a partial pass and check 60' times with the new wheel / slick combination. Re-serviced the bike and adjusted the clutch and elected to go another partial pass. This time Otto shifted into high gear but clicked it off early, much to the dismay of all our competitors who were watching. Serviced the bike, valve adjustment, more clutch adjustment, changed rear sprocket and so forth. Went into qualifying on Saturday and ran all three sessions looking for what the track would hold as it was much better prepped than the day before. We ran 8.85, then an 8.84 and lastly an 8.83. The speed was between 147 and 148 mph. Keep in mind, with Otto on the bike now, we are 40 - 45 lbs over class minimum weight and also this much heavier than the last race where Mike Nelson weighed in at class minimum. So, we're a tenth slower than last race. We overheard our competitors talking about how consistent our passes were. The air and track were real good, the class qualifiers ran 8.69, 8.71, 8.74, 8.77, 8.83, 9.20. the top 5 were pretty tightly bunched. Had we asked Mike to take it down the track, we prolly would have run in the mid to low 8.60's based on past experience with him on the bike. Also, according to the data, it looked like it wanted more gear but we didn't have another one to feed it. Went into eliminations on Sunday up against the #2 qualifier and the bike that in the past has run 8.50's, so Otto already knew he had to cut a light on this guy and hope for the best. Unfortunately, he fouled and our day was over after the 1st round but the season was pretty good overall. Out of 5 points races, we only competed in 4 and did well enough to finish 3rd overall out of 10 competitors throughout the year. Now we want to do some more testing before the cold sets in and start to try a few more modifications to see what it wants.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
by the way, Hawgzilla showed up in our pit and it was great to visit with you again! Sorry to hear about it hurting itself again! very disappointing. and a big thank you for the Schrader valve tool and core!! we went to air up the frame in the staging lanes and it would not hold pressure, Hawgzilla went and got us the stuff we needed for our next qualifying pass.

Also, congrats for your 2nd place for the year! well done.

by the way, Mikey was on a tear Sunday. 7.61 @ 174? national records in Pro Gas I believe.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Great to see Tote and Otto at the track. That is one clean machine they have!!!
Turns out my oiling problem on Hawgzilla looks to have been caused by a small piece of curled up aluminum preventing the check ball from opening in the oil pump. Took out both pistons--everything else survived.
We are very happy with #2 National points and #1 in our region.

We were pitted with 3 other bikes--SS-XL that I tune on, Hot Street (ridden by my rider James Kelly), and an Outlaw Street bike. They ALL won the National Championships in their classes!!!

Have Otto pm me or send me a couple of high compresssion ignition files and we can have the discussion we missed out on at the track.

Congrats on a great year!

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn! a little piece of aluminum in the wrong spot, huh?! ughhh!!!!

by the way, James' Hot Street machine gives me a grin everytime I see it make a pass with a license plate on it and no wheelie bar making passes deep into the 9's. btw, Otto and I got to see him win in the finals. Great job!

10-4 on the efi ignition file. I'll talk to him today.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this was one of the qualifying passes on Saturday. The first picture is the burnout and the second picture is about 6 feet into to the run. A couple things about the last picture, you can see Otto left before the other guy.... and our front tire didn't lift enough. Ran an 8.84 @ 147+ on this pass.

·
I'm gonna powder his nose
537 Posts
sO no takers on your rider search huh?

Man I wish I could commit to something like that.........but having an iffy back problem does not make it fair to all.
sighs.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thank's for posting the pic's Tote, do you think you could have set the wheelie bar up a tad higher?
Hey a 9 second street Harley! would like to see that.what motor is it useing and what frame?also what is the wheelbase?
thank's
Lakes

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Johnny,
I understand your dilemma. It is hard to find someone with the skills, not already encumbered, at the right weight range.

Lakes,
we raised them slightly for the 1st round race. With running a new slick and wheel combination, it's taking a different setup and we don't quite have it dialed in yet. From what I remember of James's Hot Street bike, it is a 120" motor on a stretched Paughco frame. It is really cool! I remember he ran a 9.67 at 142mph in the final, maybe Hawgzilla can fill us in on more bike details and his best ET's.

·
Registered
174 Posts
A little more detail on James's Hot Street bike-- Like Tote said, it's a slightly stretched Paughco frame (stretch is in the swingarm area) S&S bottom end with Axtell iron cylinders and some prototype Ultima cast heads utilizing 2.250 intake valves. It uses a DTT cone style ignition and an off the shelf big venturi S&S D carb with a single Thunderjet. Compression is a bit high for extended street use (14:1), but it starts easily due to the Andrews EV88 cam. We made the stepped design drag pipes. It has R&D built 5 speed tranny. I won't divulge his HP numbers but the magic is in the weight of the bike. It has very light cast wheels similar to Marchishni (sp?) wheels. All engine mounting plates have been lightened, Small Sportster fuel tank, super lightweight front end--and he weighs in at around 150 lbs. Not sure about the wheelbase.
So far, his best time has been a 9.49 and he set the HS speed record at Bowling Green at 144.47 mph with a 143.5 backup. Believe it or not he is still leaving some on the table in his 60' times. It's not easy to get a hardtail to launch like a bike with a suspension.

http://www.eaglestarphoto.com/fast_view.php?e_id=789&PHPSESSID=c8136db3d15ae3328c048538f3d279d5
photo #2775 and 2776

Here's a picture of James on the famous Hawgzilla-

http://www.eaglestarphoto.com/fast_view.php?e_id=785 Pic #2595

Thanks to Jerry Cummins for the photos.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tote,understand how hard it is, did the new slick show improvements?

Hawgzilla, thanks for the pic's, they are some great times James is doing on that bike! has he ever cracked the frame? I'll bet it's hard getting 60' down, but with times like that he's doing something right!! i think would be hard getting traction, as i find it a lot easier to get 60' down with rear shocks than with struts, on my dyna. and i'm not anywere close to James times or speed.
also thats the style bike i like! nice simple and it works!

Hey i like Hawgzilla too!what class do you run that in?
my friend Cow still has his old 107" shovel 4 3/4" stroke 3 13/16" bore s&s D one TJ drag pipes he made, he made the frame used wheelie bars and 7" slick 4 speed Bandit super clutch(chain primary) ran 9.3 139mph on Gas but the ol 4 speed 1st gear just used to blow up all the time

·
Registered
174 Posts
Lakes- no frame cracks since he started racing it. The bike has actually been rebuilt 5 times now in various forms of street trim. It was a 113" kick start only for a long time. He ran it into a wall in Daytona one year and the front wheel ended up against the front cylinder!! He had the frame straightened and the bike has been good every since. I convinced him to take it to the track one day when we went testing and he has been winning since then! The bikes simplicity gets it a lot of attention.
Hawgzilla runs in Pro Gas. It has a 158" Matyka ProMotor with a Bradfoote 4 speed auto tranny. It's best time has been a 8.01 @163 mph. Also has 2 AMRA National Championships to it's credit.
We race with a guy that runs a shovel in our class that runs 9.20's on good days. It's great to see the old iron out in competition--he won the Union Grove race this year when all of our modern bikes gave up during eliminations.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey Hawg, that Hawgzilla sounds like a strong runing bike!!! Brad Foot gear box's are the best.
James sounds like a real Harley man! not many ride a kick start only 113"! when you ride kick start only in a motor that size you have to set the motor up for kick starting and can have limitations on your set up. i ran a 98" shovel that was kick start only and used a s&s D carb and an andrews M grind, that was a fun bike ran 11.5, i had a bandit superclutch on it, road that bike from 1980 till 2003 road it 1 million kilometers lost count of bottom ends and top ends and lost count of how many andrews gears i went through. then i got the dyna in 2001 started getting soft and liked the button, lol
well later

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lakes said:
Tote,understand how hard it is, did the new slick show improvements?
Too early to tell. After just 6 hard launches, the 60' has not been fully dialed in yet. We got it to move in the right direction of coming down but not better than the previous combination (18" wheel, 7" M/T) yet. That's why we are going to go to the local track next weekend and work on getting the tire pressure, launch rpm and wheelie bar height combination figured out.

by the way, I just want to let everyone know that "Hawg" is a really fine person with a lot of experience and the kind of competitor you really like to meet and talk with. When we get our PG bike running hopefully for next season, we will be racing in the same class as Hawg and James and they are tough! Otto knows that and then all of us will have to deal with Davis Racing and Mikey on Psycho. and seeing Clay win at 'da Grove on the Shovster was great! He was still relishing it when I spoke to him at the Finals, he humbly understood he caught some incredible breaks to do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts