V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reviewing my Credit card statement the other day and found a charge that I did not recognize.
'
It was a charge of $13.11 for "my monthly Amazon prime membership".
'
Trouble is I never subscribed to Amazon prime nor did I authorize the charge and entrance to the Amazon prime arena.
Apparently they just decided I needed it and automatically signed me up.
I went to Amazon.com and scrounged through a morass of web pages and eventually found a place to cancel the subscription.
'
Beware those of you that do not scrutinize your credit card statements. You probably have a "Prime" membership that you did not authorize.
The amount is small enough most folks would not notice it.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I've seen offers for free 2 day shipping on Amazon that has a hidden prime sign up.

If I was to purchase the item, it would have automatically signed me up for prime hidden behind FREE 2 DAY SHIPPING, just one example

·
Super Moderator
19,500 Posts
Prime is a yearly subscription for me. I get free shipping, but I do it for the Amazon TV.

With that said, sorting out amazon billing is a major pain in the ass. Three orders will be charged as 6 different entries, none of which match an actual order. You almost have to run a balance sheet and match the totals.

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$13.11 * 12 = $157.32 per year. I understand there is a yearly subscription also which should be cheaper.
That's a lot of shipping charges. I do not do that much shopping through Amazon to warrant the subscription costs.

·
Super Moderator
19,500 Posts
$13.11 * 12 = $157.32 per year. I understand there is a yearly subscription also which should be cheaper.
That's a lot of shipping charges. I do not do that much shopping through Amazon to warrant the subscription costs.

IIRC, I saw a notice that it was going to be $119 next renewal. And considering that I get prolly 10 boxes a month from them, it saves me money.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Prime is well worth it if you buy much from them. They even have a lot of same day shipping now in our area if the purchase qualifies. I ordered some sockets and other tools last saturday morning early and had them by noon!

I watch Prime TV a lot too. We cut way back on our dish subscription by using prime, firestick and some other available online apps. With a smart TV you can save some money over cable and I think there's better programming than HBO, Cinemax, etc who show the same crap over and over for months.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,714 Posts
Amazon is certainly "tricky" with the clicking patterns, but no more so IMO than most any other web site.

That said, I finally broke down last December and signed up for Amazon Prime to get some fast shipping before Christmas. I figured I would cancel it after New Years but I realized that there were benefits I never considered. The first was Prime video. It turns out that a particular TV series that I was planning to buy the 12 season DVD set for my wife was all available on Prime Video, so just by us watching that one series, I would say the subscription has paid for itself already. Then I discovered the music section and have found enough listening there to be worthwhile. Not to mention the original shipping deals. I just ordered a new microwave oven yesterday afternoon after ours died and I received the order at 11:00 AM today (less than 24 hours after ordering) and the shipping was free.

But I digress. My point is, no offense intended, but I'm guessing that you inadvertently "signed up" without realizing you did so. They are indeed sneaky and pretty pushy with the "suggestive selling". Anyway, now that you are there, check out some of the benefits before you decide to scrap it. Otherwise, good luck with disputing the charges. I really hope they didn't just start charging you without you (or someone else) signing up, even accidentally.

·
Premium Member
6,700 Posts
Like G said, Amazon is really not any trickier than other sites. I frequent IT related sites looking for various utilities and they are some of the worst when it comes to misleading people into doing things unintended. Obviously high on the list is anything shopping related because this is part of how they make their money. It's up to you to decipher the nonsense. At one time I would profess that only the ignorant would fall for some of the schemes used but as one that does a lot of educating end users for my clients I've also fallen victim a time or two. The best way to avoid getting something you didn't intend is to slow down and pay attention to what you're seeing. Even if the site has seemingly hidden ways to rope you into something there's always something there to clue you into what is going to happen if the site is legit.

As an example of people that will fall into the trap over and over, I frequently get emails from end users asking me if an email they received is legit. No exaggeration, I had an end user forward an email to me that said he had an aunt that needed him to provide his CC info to verify he was her nephew. He actually had to ask if this was a legit email even though the grammar itself was a dead giveaway of the sinister nature of the email. It is these kinds of people that keep the train of trickery moving down the track at a pretty good clip. This guy by the way was knocking down a substantial six figure income. Figure that sh!t out.

·
Just Sayin'
2,540 Posts
As an example of people that will fall into the trap over and over, I frequently get emails from end users asking me if an email they received is legit. No exaggeration, I had an end user forward an email to me that said he had an aunt that needed him to provide his CC info to verify he was her nephew. He actually had to ask if this was a legit email even though the grammar itself was a dead giveaway of the sinister nature of the email. It is these kinds of people that keep the train of trickery moving down the track at a pretty good clip. This guy by the way was knocking down a substantial six figure income. Figure that sh!t out.
Now that there is funny as hell. As P.T Barnum said once said : "There's a sucker born every minute."

·
Premium Member
6,700 Posts
Now that there is funny as hell. As P.T Barnum said once said : "There's a sucker born every minute."
I am amazed on a daily basis the large salaries of people I come in contact with that couldn't find their ass with both hands. Some of them know what they know and little else, but are good at that one thing. Most though work for people as or more stupid then they are.

Recently I was flying back from Chicago and listening to this moron sitting behind me explaining to his son the intricacies of how airplanes work. When the flaps started moving his young son asked what the noise was. Jackass loudly professes that it's the landing gear. Shortly thereafter when the gear was lowered the son asked what that noise was. Jackass didn't have the answer and came up with some nonsense about turbulent air. I wanted to just turn around and punch the guy in the forehead to let him know to stop teaching his son to be an idiot also.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing the guy for being a moron and not knowing what the fuk he was talking about. My problem is with people that think they know what they're talking about.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,714 Posts
I am amazed on a daily basis the large salaries of people I come in contact with that couldn't find their ass with both hands. Some of them know what they know and little else, but are good at that one thing. Most though work for people as or more stupid then they are.

Recently I was flying back from Chicago and listening to this moron sitting behind me explaining to his son the intricacies of how airplanes work. When the flaps started moving his young son asked what the noise was. Jackass loudly professes that it's the landing gear. Shortly thereafter when the gear was lowered the son asked what that noise was. Jackass didn't have the answer and came up with some nonsense about turbulent air. I wanted to just turn around and punch the guy in the forehead to let him know to stop teaching his son to be an idiot also.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing the guy for being a moron and not knowing what the fuk he was talking about. My problem is with people that think they know what they're talking about.
In my personal experience, I have never found a direct correlation between how "smart" someone is and the amount of money they make. I have also found that in most cases, not knowing what someone is talking about has never stopped them from passing along their misinformation and frequently in an authoritative way.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
My brother was like that. You would think he was in the Army for 20 yrs, but it was only 3 yrs. He told me when I bought my house he could wire the light box for free. It was a 3 wire and he only knew how to do a 2 wire. Azzhole. He could tell how to rebuild a transmission and had no clue. He would climb a tree to tell a lie instead of standing on the ground for the truth. I miss him, but he was an azzhole.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
When I was in my early twenties I helped my future father in-law try to teach his son, who was a teacher in HS, to change his own oil to save money.. After watching this moron spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to work the "Adjustable end wrench" ( crescent wrench) he and I gave up... This DF became the principal... I always laugh how this goober is teaching the future of America......

·
Premium Member
6,700 Posts
This all sounds like my ex son in law. Aside from most likely being the biggest asshole on the planet he is most certainly the most knowledgeable on the planet. He knows everything and has no problem letting you know it. He was absolutely certain that you could cut stumps out of the ground with a chainsaw right through any soil and couldn't figure out why the thing wouldn't cut butter within seconds. He was also eager to tell me how he had done extensive masonry and tile work when I was rebuilding my chimney. He couldn't mix a batch of mortar to save his ass. I could go on and on about this piece of work and yes, this is the same guy I've talked about in the past that would do the world a favor by falling off the planet. Absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. The fuktard can't even play 'daddy' without trying to bullshit or manipulate his kids. I've often said and I'm serious when I say that should I find I have a short time left to live I am taking him with me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts