V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't stop under the overpass like many do, but trying the keep my glasses cleaned off so I can see where I'm going is a PIA.

Also I won't ride in the rain at night. As others mentioned, it's hard to see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The rain isn’t bad it’s not being able to see with my glasses and windshield all fogged up and having to watch out for idiots behind me.

·
Registered
2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
17 Posts
We were riding at Glacier National park a few years ago in Aug when it stated to rain on the road to the sun.
The rain was more o fa drizzle, Not bad, but the Glasses did fogg up, that was the worst of it.
Then As we rode south west on hwy 97 in Oregon near Redmond it started to Downpour rain, we were headed to Crater Lake, But had to Exit cause there was Hail and snow Forecasted for Crater lake and interstate 5 on the pass.
So we Exited to hwy 126 west to Eugene hwy 5 and followed 126 to Florence to hwy 101 on the coast , then followed the coast hwy south till we were out of the storm. following the Cost line was Awesome.

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
105 Posts
We were riding at Glacier National park a few years ago in Aug when it stated to rain on the road to the sun.
The rain was more o fa drizzle, Not bad, but the Glasses did fogg up, that was the worst of it.
Then As we rode south west on hwy 97 in Oregon near Redmond it started to Downpour rain, we were headed to Crater Lake, But had to Exit cause there was Hail and snow Forecasted for Crater lake and interstate 5 on the pass.
So we Exited to hwy 126 west to Eugene hwy 5 and followed 126 to Florence to hwy 101 on the coast , then followed the coast hwy south till we were out of the storm. following the Cost line was Awesome.
I always wanted to do the Pacific Coast Highway. Maybe when I retire.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Back in 87 the wife and I rode from Tucson to Janesville, Wisconsin and back. Got rained on in three states, started with two full sets of rain gear and ended up with the top of one and bottom of other. Fun feeling when you take a exit for gas and find no brakes as you pass the exit stop sign and run up to the gas pump where they finally grab. Rain stops and every time a semi passes they throw water up in a swirl around you. Once home wife wouldn't ride again for a couple of years.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I rode my grandfather on my bike. The sun was shining after a 2 day rain. We were on a 4 lane with nowhere to make a u turn with jersey barriers blocking any exit. There was a stretch of water 8" deep at least that's what my brogans measured. My grandfather said don't go fast or you'll stall it. Some water splashed on the engine and that was all she wrote. He sits on the bike while I get off and push the bike. On dry pavement I turn the gas off and start kicking until it started.

I lived next door to my granddaddy for the last 3 years of his life dying in 1980. He told me Ed I don't know how you lived this long without me.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,704 Posts

·
In disguise
2,758 Posts
I avoid riding in the rain if at all possible, but sometimes you're just stuck. In 2016 I stopped in Custer, SD to put on my rain suit. Monster black cloud in my route to Sturgis but I figured if it caught me it wouldn't last. Got just up the road and into a blinding rainstorm that turned to hail. Slow way down because I can't see. Bikes were bailing out off the road right and left. Helmetless riders running for the trees for shelter. I had a helmet and kept going thinking it would end, but then got worried about damage to my bike from the hail, so I pulled over at a driveway and got somebody's plastic garbage can (empty) and laid it over my seat and tank. Just stood there in my helmet (BANG, BANG BANG!). Hail on a helmet is loud. Guy from Tennessee pulled in next to me, and got the other trash can for his bike. We just stood there in our helmets and laughed.

When it quit, I shook the water off and continued up the road. Only about 200 yards from where I had stopped the road was completely dry. If I had only kept going just a little farther.......

Reactions: Slingshot383

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I don't do anything in the rain. My parents scarred me on rain and water hoses.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts