V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like it allot of everything is right. Not a down pour, riding in that sucks, but I do like it in a light rain especially on down in Galveston.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For me, the worst thing about riding in the rain, is thinking about riding in the rain. Once I’m actually doing it, I don’t mind it. Unless it’s a downpour. It’s cooler and the rain fresh air smells good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I prefer not to.. I can and do, but not usually by choice.

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
IMHO the worst thing about riding in the rain, is not being able to see well. Past that, wet roads are not the big issue they were in the old days. Modern tires stick almost as well in the wet as they do in the dry.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
I have been caught in the rain coming home, but don't start in the rain if I can help it. When on tour it is easy enough to ride out of a weather pattern. Weather is news here. When I lived up north the news would show crime and politics. Then sports then the weather. Here in SE NC the weather is shown 3 times in a half hour news break.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
00 Road King, 00 Ultra, 98 Fatboy, 08 Goldwing
495 Posts
I don't much care for it; however, I have never let it stop me from a planned ride. The part I hate is the beginning or a light mist. After it washes the road off, its not so bad. However; really don't like when the rain turns to sleet.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
a few years back i got caught on the interstate at night
in a downpour. i had maybe 60 miles left to make it home
and i couldn't see shat. factor in road construction with
alternating lanes coned off.

i was grippin that bar and scared. i made it to my garage,
got off my glide and tried to light a cig with a shaking hand.

scary fkn ride.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
I like it allot of everything is right. Not a down pour, riding in that sucks, but I do like it in a light rain especially on down in Galveston.
Personally, I don't think anything is right if it is raining and I am on two wheels. I don't want to do it, but I have had to many times. A few times in some extreme weather.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Not high on my list of favorite things...on a back road with minimal traffic is bearable. I especially love being in heavy traffic at speed in a cloud of fog and rain with sh*t for visibility just hanging on to the dotted line because that's all you can see. If you slow down you get run over, if you speed up you may rear-end the guy in front that you can't see, changing lanes is a roll of the dice. Have done it many times and it's never a good time.

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Hardest rain I ever rode in was out in Arkansas. Longest run I ever made in the rain was south central PA to up beside NY City in the leading edge of a hurricane a few years ago. That actually wan't bad as the rain was only rarely heavy. Asshole puckeringest rain i ever rode in was out on I 81 down below Roanoke Virginia. It was pouring and the traffic was real heavy. All the spray coming off the semi's made it real hard to see anything. I just latched onto the tail lamps of a semi and rode about 10 feet behind him for over an hour at about 20-30 mph, till we got to an exit where I could drop off. At times, all I could see was his tail lamps. I was glad to finally get off the interstate that day.

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
Like many have said, I've done a bunch of it but I never liked it. I road in rain so hard one time in Michigan that water started dripping through the vent holes on top of my helmet. I just kept thinking that it would end sooner or later and it never did. It was a full 8 hour day of it. The HD rain gear is pretty remarkable in those conditions but the lack of visibility is dangerous. When my helmet got wet on the inside, the heat off of my head made for some really good steam on my face shield, and I had to finally stop.

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
105 Posts
Riding in the rain SUCKS period
I have done thousands of miles in it. I do my best not to get caught in it. I did three straight days in the rain coming back from Sturgis one year. 1800 miles. That was the last time I rode to South Dakota

·
Registered
722 Posts
no see...no feel...no brakes...extra pshyco drivers...and bad drivers....wow wat a feelin...but freshly bathed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't like the other people driving in the rain, one more reason they can't see or pay attention.
Riding in the rain SUCKS period
I have done thousands of miles in it. I do my best not to get caught in it. I did three straight days in the rain coming back from Sturgis one year. 1800 miles. That was the last time I rode to South Dakota

Dang. to much of a good thing I guess! i dont like a torrent. Just a sprinkle and if i have rain gear. early morni g on galveston is nice when you get past all the commuters.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts