V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about selling my 2006 FLHX. It just isn't what I expected as far as riding with a fairing and the ride quality. I know people talk about the Progressive 440's but I just can't see spending anymore money on something that I'm not overly thrilled about. I night go back to a Fatboy, personally, I think the Fatboy rode better than the FLHX. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
hedgehog1 said:
I'm thinking about selling my 2006 FLHX. It just isn't what I expected as far as riding with a fairing and the ride quality. I know people talk about the Progressive 440's but I just can't see spending anymore money on something that I'm not overly thrilled about. I night go back to a Fatboy, personally, I think the Fatboy rode better than the FLHX. Any input would be appreciated.

coincidence...was really thinking of trading my 01 road king on the new FLHX...so off i go to the local stealership...meet up with the owner and he sends me out on his demo street glide..had a few things added to it..let's just say i was "underwhelmed"...some minor things tho...mirrors/seat/suspension is too stiff/he had those new screaming eagle mufflers that have open/close baffles where you need to really hit the throttle to open them...hated them. Plus for the money you really don't a get a "lot" of bike compared to shelling out a few more $$ for an eglide classic..so now i am thinking eglide...with a different seat and quick detach beer box...then i can have the bagger look rather than the ole geezer glide deal..

the softail family would not be my alternative choice...maybe you ought to try out a road king FLHR..before you go back to the fatty....IMHO......

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think the FLHX looks great, but it has 2 things going against it for what *I* want in this kind of bike - a windsheild and cornering clearance. If it were me I'd throw a 9" sheild on it and full length shocks.
Maybe go ride an EG Standard before you give up on it? If you like it more, you'll know what's missing and it won't cost you that much to change your Glide. If you don't like it either, you'll know you bought the wrong bike.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
cripula said:
I think the FLHX looks great, but it has 2 things going against it for what *I* want in this kind of bike - a windsheild and cornering clearance. If it were me I'd throw a 9" sheild on it and full length shocks.
Maybe go ride an EG Standard before you give up on it? If you like it more, you'll know what's missing and it won't cost you that much to change your Glide. If you don't like it either, you'll know you bought the wrong bike.

agree...BTW what part of the GWN (great white north) are you from yah fellow :laugh: hoser?

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
???

How many miles have you put on the FLHX? Have you put some long highway miles on 'er or are you puttin' about town? When I first bought my FLHTC i thought it sucked from both looks & overall riding.I had intended to turn it into a Road King style bike. I had acquired most of the pieces, and the longer I rode it, the less enthused obout changing it i became. So, as I made the bike more like your present day street glide, and going the other direction and purchasing a Road King...i miss the fairing. To me, when I add the dragonfly detachable fairing for long rides, then the bike will be complete. So I say, give it a chance. Take it on a LONG ride and re-evaluate then....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Your cash, your call.

Sell it and get a Fat Boy if that's what you really want and the financial stuff works for you.

Baggers - you either love'm or hate'm.. There is no getting around the fixed fairing unless you want to spend a lot of cash to convert. And no matter what, they will never sit as low or look as good as a softtail.

Personally, a street glide is the same as the kings. Less bike for a lot more cash.

I'll take an std, classic or ultra anyday. You get a lot more for your money, and except for some bullshit rear fender trim, you can strip them down to look just like a street glide and then build them up to tour with quick detach stuff.

I'm fabbing all my own stuff on an old '89 to do the "street glide" deal for daily ridin' and then easily bolt it up to go for long haul touring duty.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
hedgehog1,
Just something for you to think about, we bought a brand new pair of 13" HD take-off's for $75 from the HD dealer for my buddie's new Street Glide, and then put a TJ products lowering kit on and it rides like it should now. Found out there are alot of new take-offs laying around where people bought the
12" air shocks to lower their bike and left the new 13's for the dealer.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
eye of the beholder

fxrflh said:
And no matter what, they will never sit as low or look as good as a softtail.
Good luck.
Lots of opinion there fxrflh. %[email protected]

But remember the looking good part of your statment is subjective and not objective. Dealers seem to be selling off every bike then can get through the door; some at over MSRP. So the market is saying there are buyers.

Now if it was a V-Rod you could say the number of them available at under MSRP might indicate less than complete market acceptance or maybe just over production to a limited market.:whistle:

IMHO I think the street glide is a direct take off on the police issue electra glide. The only big difference I've seen is the stero system for $ 1,400 and available in more than Birch White.:hmmm:

·
40 Posts
I've been riding mine with 25 lbs of air and the ride is just right for me (two-up) I am 200 lbs and my wife is 160, even solo the pressure is just right, have you played with the pressure?

Now that it's getting colder I went with a 9" shield and to tell you the truth once I got used to it I don't know if the deflector is going back on. It's like a totally different bike, especially for my wife at freeway speeds...

But hey like everyone said before me it's your decision....personally I wouldn't trade mine for anything.........:thumbsup:

:chopper: IT AINT'

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I went from a 99 Fatboy to an 05 RK Custom. IMO, the Fatboy is one of the coolest looking bikes when it's all decked out. For me, the ride didn't change a lot over the Fatboy until the wife got on. Those air shocks just plain suck. No matter what the pressure I put in them, she would get hammered when hitting average bumps. Eventually I'll have to change shocks which really pisses me off because I'm looking at $400 for something decent.

If you aren't happy with the bike you have, sell it. Life's too short to settle for something you're not really happy with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm probably not much help here because I love my FLHXI. I went from a Sport Bike to my Street Glide and I wish I would've bought a touring bike way before wasting my money on crotch rocket.

Anyway, I seen the Street Glide on the MoCo's site a few months back and I knew I HAD to have one. I searched and bought mine without EVER riding one. Again, no regrets here. I put a few hundred miles on it the 1st weekend I had it and I think the changes I would've made that day would've been swapping out the seat. In fact, I will have a new one before springtime. Other than that I'm content - then again I'm one to make concessions and I tend to sacrifice comfort for the cool factor allot. Case in point, I almost bought a Hardtail because "I had to have it" till my buddies talked me out of it!! Watching too much American Chopper I guess :loser:

I personally would give the bike a fair chance to win you over some more. Buying a new set of shocks and maybe a Corbin will do it for you. What the heck it is a allot cheaper than a new set of wheels!

just my $0.02....

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
I've got 350mi on my new SG and I love it. Much better than my Heritage. I have no problem with shocks at all. They are much easier to adjust than the softails were, bags come off easier. The whole package is just better to me than the sft tail was. I cant believe how much better it corners also. The frame is not the same as the RK custom either. The mechanic who rigged my bike took me down to the shop today and showed me the difference which is all in the front end. when I took it out on the hwy I felt as if I could have gone on forever. I guess everybody has there opinions thou.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Do what makes you happy for sure.

What drew you to the bike in the first place?

What you will loose on the deal financially, you are better off investing in a great seat/riders backrest and a set of Progressive 440's in the length of your choice. The best of both will be $1,000 total.

We all do it on our bikes, Stage I, then seat and suspension. In your case as the ride seems to be your complaint spend the 1,000, if you don't like it then put the stock back on, get rid of it, and sell or use the like new seat and shocks.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
My E-Glide rode like crap before I put the 440s on it. Now rides much much better. Best mod I have done so far.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Another vote for the 440's; they made a huge difference on my Ultra:D

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Could someone tell me a little more about the 440's? I have a 05 RK Custom and haven't messed with the shocks. It doesn't ride bad to me, but am I missing something. Besides I'm always looking for something else to add to the "list" of stuff I want for the bike.

Thanks
JJL

·
Registered
762 Posts
hedgehog, it's important to get what you want, but you're going to lose some coin on depreciation, not to mention tax, freight, prep and any other incidental charges you paid. I'd keep the bike for at least one year and then sell it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
jjl_05rkc said:
Could someone tell me a little more about the 440's? I have a 05 RK Custom and haven't messed with the shocks. It doesn't ride bad to me, but am I missing something. Besides I'm always looking for something else to add to the "list" of stuff I want for the bike.

Thanks
JJL
I and others on this forum over the past couple of months have posted numerous comments on the 440's under the suspension catagory in this forum. Type in the words Progressive shocks in the search box and you'll find plenty of reading material there.

regards

1 - 20 of 26 Posts