V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really enjoying this forum. I can't help but notice that it seems the bulk of the riders seem to almost always go riding with a bud or a group. While that's just fine I really prefer to ride alone (both solo and with hot little wife). I ride hard when I want to ride hard, I putt when I want to putt, I go where ever my front wheel leads me, and I stop when I want.
Admittedly with my motorsports background I just can't friggin' stand to see someone in front of me and when riding with a bud I usually end up riding harder than I necessarily want to.
Am I weird, anti social, or just a natural lone wolf. (That's the one my hot little wife is betting on.)

Rapid One
2005 Fat Boy
Stage 1
V & H Shortshots
HD Beach bars
Nostalgia windshield
QD backrest for hot little wife
The little Chrome visor on the headlight looks cool too

"When in doubt, Gas it. It won't help but it ends the suspense!"

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Mostly by myself...

I go when I want to, where I want to and stop when I feel like it. Easier that way.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I have way more miles solo than in group riding and my hot medium wife has cussioned at least half of my miles...

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
You have asked my opinion so pull up a chair, sit back and listen up.

First off you are cordially invited to post some thoughts in my classic welcome thread. So is any other motorcycle loving out cast who reads this post. I would appreciate it. I am Shooting for Post hole digger of the year award.

Now to the steak and potatoes of this particular post, pass the A-1 please.

Your question about riding alone, fast slow and in between. Your sentences describe me and my riding habits exactly. I do that and I ride with buddies. I think the majority of the motor nutz here ride till their a33s fall off.

We are a bunch of little kids who have gone through the growth cycle from our first Qa-50 or rupp, to the xr-100...125...250........650....750...883...1100....geezerglide

You are different for sure. You have chosen to ride for all the right reasons for your intrinsic satisfaction. We, the people of this fine forum are a collection of independent thinking people who choose to be differnt.....

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I enjoy both... sometimes with a few buds... others just me... and sometimes my wife will come along. All experiences are good for me... just different.

I don't like crowds though, and I don't like riding with some military type captaining/herding a group as so many cattle.

Now don't get me wrong... I love the guys in uniform and thank God for them; for what they are doing now and what they have done in the past. It just seems that it is always some military type run amok that ends up pulling a boot camp road captain routine on these rides. I did a few right after I got my scoot, but then decided I couldn't deal with it. Too much protocol... not enough freedom to do and go where I want and how I want.

Whoa... where did that come from. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Prky Pig. Yep wife is 4' 11'' tall and 98 pounds. Hot? Uhhhhhh yep again.:D

Rapid One
2005 Fat Boy
Stage 1
V & H Shortshots
HD Beach bars
Nostalgia windshield
The chrome visor on the headlight looks cool too

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Rapid One said:

Rapid One
2005 Fat Boy
Stage 1
V & H Shortshots
HD Beach bars
Nostalgia windshield
The chrome visor on the headlight looks cool too

Pics then...

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
I have way more miles solo than in group riding and my hot medium wife has cushioned at least half of my miles...
Makes for a nice back rest at times, I know. But some times a man needs less noise in the ear to reflect and contemplate on the open road.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Okay... that's it... I can't take any more of this.

If you are going to be a braggin'... you better be a postin'.

Yup, it is time for you to put or shut up. I think it only fair that you give us a peek at the little woman.... Not asking for anything racy, just a nice shot of her on the back of your bike maybe.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Road Captain Thing

Hey bro I'm with you on riding solo most the time. I could never get into the "Road Captain" thing. I never did like the idea of formation riding and when I ride in a group like that I usually piss everyone off as I ride ahead and tuck in wherever I want.

Never liked that deal of the captain pointing every little pebble or crack out with his pointed arm and finger. I guess its a safety thing but what's with that for any irregularity? I once road with a large group to Laughlin for that run. The captain had all of us 50 bikes at least in the fast lane on interstate 10 going 55 miles per hour. Cars were speeding by in the slow lane cursing at us as they went by.

Large groups like the Love Run can be fun at times but I like to be an "independant" most the time.

That's just me tho!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I've only rode twice with another person. I prefer my own pace. If I feel like stretching I don't feel guilty pulling over. I ride pretty fast too. You can put alot of miles by yourself. This summer my GF put on about 10k miles with me, was enjoyable, luckily she like to pass people too.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
biggums said:
The captain had all of us 50 bikes at least in the fast lane on interstate 10 going 55 miles per hour. Cars were speeding by in the slow lane cursing at us as they went by.
People are killed in such ways!!!

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I'm the same way. My wife could only do a few hundred miles with me this year because of her schooling though. I really only ride with one other bud and he was busy this year too so only a thousand miles with him maybe and some short trips with some others. The rest of my 20,200+ miles this year have been solo. I find myself in the neatest places when I go riding. I'll just take a turn that looks interesting until I find another turn that looks good.

I do have some routes that I like to take too. One is about a 200 mile round trip. I did this one about 10 times this summer.

I also took a solo to TN to ride the Dragon.

I feel when I ride with other people that I have watch out for everyone else. I'm not saying I do their riding for them. Just things like is everyone keeping up or do we have to stop at this gas stop because someone has a smaller tank.
It kind of takes away from the "freedom" I feel when out there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Rapid One said:

Rapid One
2005 Fat Boy
Stage 1
V & H Shortshots
HD Beach bars
Nostalgia windshield