V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Think of how flimsy a springer looks. designed is the same type just a little different design and lever placement but same principle. Now look back at the Pic and see how beefy that is designed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Alan S ! if you ment the mockup motor I got it of ebay for $150 if I remember right !
The girder I also got off ebay out of Maryland for $1795 .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
SubDude Thanks ! That was why it has taken so long as I have to picture what I want as I am going ! That and there are life projects that get in the way !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
ArcAngel ! Thanks for all the input ! I want to replace the tubing for longer tube if you could recommend a spec on material grade ! The tubes barley fill the thread in the nuts so I would like to go longer for either acorns or maybe possible brackets for turn signals etc !

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
ArcAngel ! Thanks for all the input ! I want to replace the tubing for longer tube if you could recommend a spec on material grade ! The tubes barley fill the thread in the nuts so I would like to go longer for either acorns or maybe possible brackets for turn signals etc !
Send me some close up pics of how it all fits together and adress your concerns. I'll go over it with you I doubt you will need to change much if anything. Is there a manufacture for this forks or are the one off custom? Send pics high res to [email protected]. We can discuss it off line privately or on here to share it publicly your choice. From what I can see it looks to be well made and designed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Beefy

Think of how flimsy a springer looks. designed is the same type just a little different design and lever placement but same principle. Now look back at the Pic and see how beefy that is designed
Arc Angel !

The girder without axle but with steel neck rod is 47lb !

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
And it 46lbs of T6 aluminum (stronger) alloy. And you were worried. Lol that things a brick $hithouse. Assemble as per instructions if any, if not be sure to lube all pivot bearings and or bushings with heavy marine grease clean all threads on pivot bolts and nuts with ether and dry when assembling use blue lock-tight NOT red. Repeat twice a season. Unless you don't put allot of miles then once a season should be fine. Just t remember that thing requires regular maintenance. It's a tad heavy but it does look cool as hell

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
And it 46lbs of T6 aluminum (stronger) alloy. And you were worried. Lol that things a brick $hithouse. Assemble as per instructions if any, if not be sure to lube all pivot bearings and or bushings with heavy marine grease clean all threads on pivot bolts and nuts with ether and dry when assembling use blue lock-tight NOT red. Repeat twice a season. Unless you don't put allot of miles then once a season should be fine. Just t remember that thing requires regular maintenance. It's a tad heavy but it does look cool as hell
ArcAngel

I was originally trying to find out any history on the girder hoping someone on the forum had seen it before .
I only had a concern on the tubing crossrods but you pointed out they where adequate .
But I do not know the schedule of tubing to purchase so I can to replace with longer units . There was no assembly instructions with it but lots of photos so I believe I got the sequence part figured and with your great advice on lube and assembly procedure I should succeed !

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
ArcAngel

I was originally trying to find out any history on the girder hoping someone on the forum had seen it before .
I only had a concern on the tubing crossrods but you pointed out they where adequate .
But I do not know the schedule of tubing to purchase so I can to replace with longer units . There was no assembly instructions with it but lots of photos so I believe I got the sequence part figured and with your great advice on lube and assembly procedure I should succeed !
It would need to be DOM tubing (aka drawn over mandrel seemlessl tubing) unlike pipe where you have schedule 40 or 80. Tubing goes by size and wall thickness. So you would have to measure that. But I don't think you should be concerned they are only acting as stops to keep it from coming apart and bear no load at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thread

That's gonna be sweet.... Enjoy your build you should do a thread on it.
Would love to start a thread on the build but at the moment Windows 10 is making me it's bitch and as a retired drywaller I am trying to manipulate it to do as I used to do on Vista ! Which took me a while to figure ! LOL !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Figured out the pic posting

Would love to start a thread on the build but at the moment Windows 10 is making me it's bitch and as a retired drywaller I am trying to manipulate it to do as I used to do on Vista ! Which took me a while to figure ! LOL !
Just adding a few more pic's !

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts