V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17,509 Posts
Have no idea, but it would look great polished on a rigid bar hopper.

I'm just here for the beer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ! Been skooping the parts for 7 years now and started the push this year when I scooped the frontend ! Of course it's all bolt on so should be a breeze ! ROFLMAO !

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Aluminum? I wonder what the tensile strength of that is compared to steel.
Steel tensile strength at yeild is usually over 50,000 psi, aluminium is around 40, 000 psi.

But that front end won't fail in tensile load (that's pulling apart), I'd be more concerned about fatigue cracks or brittleness over time.

It looks substantial enough to me that I don't think I'd be concerned, but I'd have to check with a better engineer than I am to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
T6 aluminum I'm sure, I'm not an engineer but a welder. I make a living off engineering f'ups so I can tell you I see no issue in strength at all, it's built well and designed well. The bushings or bearing will need to be checked and lubed regularly but that's on any girder setup like that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ArcAngel When it arrived I gave it a close oneover and the only thing that concerned me was the rods going through are not round stock steel but pipe so that will be getting changed to round stock and lengthened at the same time !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BOUTYM ! Told the wife of 45 years that it is a coffee table ! LOL !
That is our upstairs living room ! I was trial fitting and getting ideas on which part next . The motor is a plastic mock up so everything can go downstairs for completion !

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
ArcAngel When it arrived I gave it a close oneover and the only thing that concerned me was the rods going through are not round stock steel but pipe so that will be getting changed to round stock and lengthened at the same time !
Big misconception that round tube is much weaker. For the same diameter there is some minor truth to that but when you're talking about equal mass the tube is stronger. Leave it be what I see is plenty strong enough plus with the shock load being absorbed by the shock the forces involved are not as great as you might think.the load is going through the pivot in shear not tension. So the thought you have is not a concern

·
Registered
17,509 Posts
Look up cyclic fatigue stress in Al.
So I did. The article I read was discussing heat cycles in pistons. How does that apply here?

I'm just here for the beer.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
The forks are not rigid they are no different and any other fork design including a hydraulic fork made with an aluminum lower. How come those don't fail? There is nothing wrong about that design if anything it looks overkill

1 - 20 of 32 Posts