V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front fork lowers, aluminum, on my 2004 Wide Glide are oxidizing really bad. Seems to have accelerated recently. Is there anything I can do about it or do I go to chrome fork lowers? (Say I don't have the money to go chrome now what can I do in the meantime) What is the maintenance on the chrome lowers?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Use some Mothers aluminum polish. I had a lot of corroding (spots) on my triple tree. Three applications of this polish and it looks better than new. After two months no corrosion has returned. Cost about 8 bucks for a bottle.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
You could have them professionally polished. I've been wanting to do mine just haven't felt like goin without the bike for a week to get the job done. Should only cost about $100 if you have someone do it. I'll be doing mine myself...

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I bought a set for my RK from e-bay for about $15 and polished them myself. I used files and rough sandpaper down to fine then to polish. They look like chrome but I have to use an aluminium polish every so often.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright then. Mothers it is. I had heard that there was a coating of some sort on the lowers and didn't wannt jack it up but with the way they look now it won't matter. groady and I need to do something about it now.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
RickWG said:
Alright then. Mothers it is. I had heard that there was a coating of some sort on the lowers and didn't wannt jack it up but with the way they look now it won't matter. groady and I need to do something about it now.

The coating is nothing more than a regular clear coat to prevent oxidization. It must wearing off...

·
Registered
575 Posts
There's a product out there called "Glisten". It's the same stuff that the car companies clear-coat aluminum wheels with. First polish, then paint. Stuff is hard as nails and prevents corrosion until it gets damaged or removed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm resurecting this dead post, but I polished my fork lowers this winter. Started with 600grit sandpaper, then 1200, then 2000 ... when I got to the point that I was happy with them, I used my dremel tool with the dremel polishing compound to shine them up nice. I tell you, for the 30 bux I spent on sandpaper, they look almost as gorgeous as chrome. You'd be surprised how nice polished aluminum looks. If anyone is interested in pix, I'll try to post some.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I'm resurecting this dead post, but I polished my fork lowers this winter. Started with 600grit sandpaper, then 1200, then 2000 ... when I got to the point that I was happy with them, I used my dremel tool with the dremel polishing compound to shine them up nice. I tell you, for the 30 bux I spent on sandpaper, they look almost as gorgeous as chrome. You'd be surprised how nice polished aluminum looks. If anyone is interested in pix, I'll try to post some.
Post 'em up! Here's how mine turned out...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got some lower fork leg protectors made out of .008 mil clear urethane made for the lower covers. It does a good job in protecting the lowers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any bike?

I have a 2015 street glide. No corrosion just want the mirrored look over the brushed. Can I do this on my bike to archive the mirrored look even tho there is nothing wrong with the lowers to begin with? Any help with this would be appreciated. Thx. Ian

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah, you can do almost any lowers that are clear coated. The
problem is that if the clear coat is in like new condition, it is pretty
tough stuff to get through. If it's oxidized badly, Mother's aluminum
polish will take it off. Use the wheel polish (not the Billet) for your
initial polish. Then the Billet polish for your final shine.

Of coarse, if you want a totally polished shine, plan on a ton of
elbow grease and lots of sand paper...ha...

You could always try lacquer thinner or aircraft paint stripper to take
it off first, but you have to be VERY careful with that kind of thing!

There are quite a few places that do an exchange for your lowers
with chrome ones if you want to go that route. (even on ebay)

The last bike I worked on the forks, we wanted a stock look with a
little extra shine, so we carefully "re-grained" them with sand paper
before polish.

Keep in mind, they take a re-polishing quite often after the clear is
gone.

good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Yeah any aluminum can be polished up to near chrome. Remove the old clear coat i would recommend a paint stripper, it will take hours off the job.. then do as suggested with ever finer sandpaper, then polish it.. it is absolutely beautiful. I also recommend removing the fork lowers from the bike before starting the program.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts