V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My v-rod arrived today and I hope to pick it up tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what the usual dealer prep is for the v-rod? ...anodized aluminum finish? ...wheels?
What is the preferred care for the anodized aluminum?
I have seen a product called Flitz metal polish. Has anyone tried it?
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to pick it up!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Aluminum care

I used a wipe or spray-on coating on mine in February. It is called Sharkhide, and they have a website by the same name. It was fairly easy to apply, did not change the finish (no one can tell it's there) and according to the sales rep should protect the bike for it's lifetime. It's about $35 for a quart, but thats enough to do the bike 5 or 6 times at least - and you should only have to do it once. I used it on the anodized and the wheels and it seems to be holding up great, I'm approaching 3,000 mi with no noticible difference.

·
Registered
147 Posts
coating

Of course by "tank" I assume you mean airbox. The airbox, fenders, and radiator outer covers are anodized aluminum, the wheels are uncoated, untreated aluminum. Anodized alum. is actually very tough and corrosion resistant and really doesn't require any extra care other than a regular non-abrasive wax. The wheels on the other hand are very mainteance intensive and require constant care. Roadsalt, seasalt, acid rain and brakedust are probably the absolute worst thing for these wheels, but plain 'ol neglect is a no no too. If you are not going to clean the wheels very regularly (a couple of times a week), I would highly reccommend some sort of coating. Aluminium can be clearcoated, but it is usually etched first (no shiny appearance like the V-Rod's). The clearcoating would eventually yellow and flake on the VR's wheels. The only surfaces on the bike I'm not sure about are the battery and coolant resivoir cover and the mirror back & stalk. Also as an aside, be careful about what you leave hanging from your key switch. I left my key fob for the alarm on the keyring and the black started to rub off on the frame. It cleaned off, but I believe there is no clearcoat on the satin finish frame, probably took some paint off too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'll take a look at the Sharkhide site. Do you think the H-D dealer will be much help? I'm not confident they will have any non-traditional ideas.
Thanks again!
...didn't get it today. Paperwork will take a couple days. arghhhhh!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Be careful witht the clearcoat, I have used it on my car wheels and after a year it started to peel, part of that could be due to using a power washer. Just be sure what you put on that bike, it won't be easy to remove, and good old fashioned soap and water seems to work very well.
Whether you have a clearcoat or not your gonna get alot of brake dust on those wheels, let us know if you use the stuff and how it works.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I used stuff called Meguiar's final preparation, which is a spray that is used to clean cars finishes and it seem to work well for me.

I also found this and think it help a bit:

http://www.whitesharley.com/techtips.html

Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Guys ( and ladies!!) I am new to the list, and I am awaiting delivery of my new V Rod next friday, I am pretty patient considering!! but I did go check out the VR at my local dealership yesterday, and I am pretty stoked!! Especially since I have not seen one on the road anywhere.
I wanted to comment on the aluminum conditioner that VEERODDER mentioned above called SharkHide, It is very good stuff, and recommend it highly. I have heard other bikers praise its use on their bikes, and it is especially made for aluminum of all kinds. It is mainly used for boats, especially saltwater, but if it can save aluminum from saltwater corrosion, it can save any metal!!! I have already purchased mine for when my bike gets here, since I live near the beach............Nice to have this forum, thank you all for your reports!! very helpful..........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info!
From everything I see here and everything H-D says, there isn't too much risk of deterioration of the anodized aluminum. I'm most interested in getting it to shine. So far, I've stuck with the H-D Sunwash and Harley Gloss. It seems to look fine and the Gloss goes on easily. The Sharkhide seems like overkill unless it adds alot to the shine.
It sounds like the wheels need the most attention. I'm using the Harley Wheel and Tire cleaner followed by the Harley Gloss. ...fairly easy to do.
Well, gotta go get it past 500 miles so I can open it up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts