V-Twin Forum banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
not sober all the time
5,368 Posts
Great , it is nice to know that I am not riding a 1259lb. bike and that maybe 800lbs. seams to be a lot safer to stop fast.
I only have 1500 miles riding a Harley and I know I have a lot to learn. But so far I have rebuilt a transmission and later put in a clutch. Live and learn. Thanks for making me look STUPID! I will get smarter. Have a Lovely Day!
Well, you're a rock star so we won't tell anyone.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Great , it is nice to know that I am not riding a 1259lb. bike and that maybe 800lbs. seams to be a lot safer to stop fast.
I only have 1500 miles riding a Harley and I know I have a lot to learn. But so far I have rebuilt a transmission and later put in a clutch. Live and learn. Thanks for making me look STUPID! I will get smarter. Have a Lovely Day!
Nobody was trying to make you look stupid. It's all about learning. They say the difference between ignorant and stupid is stupid is unable to learn and ignorant means you just haven't learned it yet. If you don't already have one, the owners manual (and the Factory Service Manual) are full of information. I'm always going back and seeing things I knew at one time and just plain forgot. Getting old sucks! Here's a shot of my Owner's Manual Specifications page. You'll see it says "(as shipped from factory)".

20200312_192438.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, you're a rock star so we won't tell anyone.
I have been playing the drums for 30 years, So I changed my last name to Star (after the Beatles drummer Ringo) , have not played much lately because the kemo from fighting cancer has messed up my body pretty good. I have beat the cancer, but my body has been week for 3 years now. I have about 3-4hrs. in the morning to try to do things around the house or ride my Harley, That is why I bought a Harley. Just don't know how long I will live because my body is week, at least I have enough strength to back that bike out of a shed and ride it for a couple of hours. So if you see some guy freezing his ass off early in the morning on a Harley , hey it's me. Call me Seagull. After Bad Company song.
I do have a service manual,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nobody was trying to make you look stupid. It's all about learning. They say the difference between ignorant and stupid is stupid is unable to learn and ignorant means you just haven't learned it yet. If you don't already have one, the owners manual (and the Factory Service Manual) are full of information. I'm always going back and seeing things I knew at one time and just plain forgot. Getting old sucks! Here's a shot of my Owner's Manual Specifications page. You'll see it says "(as shipped from factory)".

View attachment 264498
I have been playing the drums for 30 years, So I changed my last name to Star (after the Beatles drummer Ringo) , have not played much lately because the kemo from fighting cancer has messed up my body pretty good. I have beat the cancer, but my body has been week for 3 years now. I have about 3-4hrs. in the morning to try to do things around the house or ride my Harley, That is why I bought a Harley. Just don't know how long I will live because my body is week, at least I have enough strength to back that bike out of a shed and ride it for a couple of hours. So if you see some guy freezing his ass off early in the morning on a Harley , hey it's me. Call me Seagull. After Bad Company song.
I do have a service manual, Have a Lovely Day see, you guys on the road.

I hope to learn as much as I can , hey from guys like you guys.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I do have a service manual, Have a Lovely Day see, you guys on the road.

I hope to learn as much as I can , hey from guys like you guys.

20200313_155251.jpg

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I'm the OP. Still waiting on some parts. I've pulled everything and had my local shop inspect it all. They said the clutch hub, bearing and basket look good and suggested trying to "clock" it several different positions on the output shaft to see if I minimize the wobble I thought was bad. I even showed them the video of it wobbling. They said it's not that bad and they all do it. I've had to wait for funds to buy a dial indicator and base so when I got that I measured 0.0035" run out on the very end of the shaft. I should be able to throw it all together again the first part of next week. I'm going to try a different clutch kit too. Do you believe nobody carries Loctite 262 anymore? Had to order that from Amazon. Keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Well I got it all back together and running great. I replaced the automatic tensioner with a NOS one from eharleyparts.com, and ended up going with a Energy One clutch kit. Big thanks to Kent, and Nancy over there. I experimented most all day with different ramps, and clutch diaphragm springs. Learned a lot. The heavier the spring the less the lift! I ended up with a blue painted spring which I believe is 260lb. Also was toying with the idea of replacing the 3/8" bearings with 10mm ones. The difference is they are .019" larger. With everything I played with I found plate lift from 0.100" to 0.080 mostly with 1/2 turn out on the adjuster. I saved my pressure plate that had the groove in from the flaking Alto clutch by turning about 0.002 out of it. I could barely feel it with my finger nail. Lonslo helped me out bigtime by sending me some 21deg ramps and a few different pressure springs. We need more people like him helping out the biker community.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
It's problems like that though that teach you the most..... Plus having to take it apart so many damn times you can probably change your clutch on the side of the road I five minutes and with only a screw driver now... Lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I joke I can rebuild one on the side of the road with nothing but a Leatherman and a magazine for gaskets! LOL!

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Well I got it all back together and running great. Lonslo helped me out bigtime . We need more people like him helping out the biker community.
Congratulations on getting to to bottom of that issue. No doubt you learned a ton, clutch expert now.
Kudos to Lonslo. Pretty sure he's spent quite a bit of time on clutches. Skills riding around, thru in my case, those cones will put your hands inside the primary for sure.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
I was mainly surprised at seeing the clutch basket wobble and finding out that's normal and there's nothing wrong with the hub bearing. Now that I changed back to the manual chain tensioner it runs smoother and I can't feel anything on the primary case. A loose chain IS a happy chain. The 10 mm bearings is in my mind a huge and simple, not to mention cheap, mod that can cure a lot of clutch disengagement problems. Very happy I learned a lot and am back on the road!

141 - 155 of 155 Posts