V-Twin Forum banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
High , sorry you are still having problems. When I went to pull out the old clutch pack on my 1999 Electra Glide , and the reason I did the clutch was I was adjusting the clutch to often. So, When I pulled apart the old clutch pack I noticed that that smaller clutch plate , the first one that you put in had slipped over the damper spring and maybe that is why I had to adjust the clutch to often. So again all I can say is I am glad that the kit I bought (Bernett kit) ,that said to pull out the Damper spring and the Damper Seat. At least you are keeping busy. Do you have a Maintenance Manual for your bike, that is one of the first things I did before I started to play mechanic on my Harley. Have a Lovely Day Brand'd.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Could it be that the alternator rotor spacer needs to be checked for thickness. On a 1999 Electra glide the rotor spacer for high output is 0.055 in. (1.397 mm) , low out put 0.020 in. (0.508 mm) . If the sprocket nut is tight I can't see why there would be play unless you are right the springs in the sprocket cover are shot. I am looking at my manual and are those springs inside the sprocket cover , I can't remember seeing them when I took all that off when I did my transmission.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
High , sorry you are still having problems. When I went to pull out the old clutch pack on my 1999 Electra Glide , and the reason I did the clutch was I was adjusting the clutch to often. So, When I pulled apart the old clutch pack I noticed that that smaller clutch plate , the first one that you put in had slipped over the damper spring and maybe that is why I had to adjust the clutch to often. So again all I can say is I am glad that the kit I bought (Bernett kit) ,that said to pull out the Damper spring and the Damper Seat. At least you are keeping busy. Do you have a Maintenance Manual for your bike, that is one of the first things I did before I started to play mechanic on my Harley. Have a Lovely Day Brand'd.
Yes I have a manual. Can't do anything without one of those.
I believe the damper (judder) spring and small flat base plate are supposed to fit inside the first narrower friction plate on those kits with the narrower first friction plate. Otherwise if you put a full size friction plate on top of them and then assembled the clutch pack it would be too thick and impossible for the small spring to get past that first full sized friction plate. Does that make sense? Anybody?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Could it be that the alternator rotor spacer needs to be checked for thickness. On a 1999 Electra glide the rotor spacer for high output is 0.055 in. (1.397 mm) , low out put 0.020 in. (0.508 mm) . If the sprocket nut is tight I can't see why there would be play unless you are right the springs in the sprocket cover are shot. I am looking at my manual and are those springs inside the sprocket cover , I can't remember seeing them when I took all that off when I did my transmission.
I finally found a video showing someone shaking one and stating "if they rattle, they're worn out". So I'm just going to replace that. Everything else there looks really good. Even the teeth on the sprocket and the chain. Too bad HD screwed up that design and explains why the Baker is a good replacement for the later years. It pretty much duplicates that early design!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I believe the damper (judder) spring and small flat base plate are supposed to fit inside the first narrower friction plate on those kits with the narrower first friction plate. Otherwise if you put a full size friction plate on top of them and then assembled the clutch pack it would be too thick and impossible for the small spring to get past that first full sized friction plate. Does that make sense? Anybody?
You are absolutely correct. The other brand extra plate clutches do not have the small friction plate and require removal of the jutter. Alto is designed with the narrow plate that goes in first fitting around the jutter. As far as the compensator goes, I and several competition riders removed the compensator and installed the comp eliminator, cost about $100. It made the scooter start quitter, without the clang, and is much smoother at low rpms. Tall Terry recommended it and im glad I took his advice. Lonslo

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Lonslo, my bike has always just started up right away without any problems. And I read somewhere the eliminator causes shock to the starter? Besides, for $50 I can just replace the spring pack cover. I'm on a tight budget. Just fillin the fuel tank these days is tough! LOL!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info , Yes I am still learning. You just can not beat the thrill of riding a 1235 lb. bike . I live in Salt Lake (Kearns), Utah. Maybe one day I'll see you and your killer running bike. I have XM radio so it is not boring at all, OOPS, missed my exit , Oh well. Have a Lovely Day! P.S.-----It sounds like if I have a problem I should ask you!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Thanks for the info , Yes I am still learning. You just can not beat the thrill of riding a 1235 lb. bike . I live in Salt Lake (Kearns), Utah. Maybe one day I'll see you and your killer running bike. I have XM radio so it is not boring at all, OOPS, missed my exit , Oh well. Have a Lovely Day! P.S.-----It sounds like if I have a problem I should ask you!
Uh, JRockStar I think this was intended for someone else.....?

·
Registered
16,115 Posts
Full Dress Harley's are not light bikes ...
No they're not. But the manual states my 2010 Ultra dresses out around 875#. Or somewhere in there. I don't have the manual in front of me.

That gives you 360# of ass.

Quite doable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
On all Harleys there is a tag with the weight , Check out your tag , you do not need a manual for that. Tell me some of you do not know there is a weight tag on your bike.

·
Super Moderator
19,932 Posts
On all Harleys there is a tag with the weight , Check out your tag , you do not need a manual for that. Tell me some of you do not know there is a weight tag on your bike.

You might want to have a closer look at that tag before you comment again. 1360 is the gross weight. That's all up, fluids, rider, passenger, luggage. 1360 is the weight not to exceed.

The scooter itself in in the vicinity of 900 lbs for a bagger with a fairing. And while no one is going to argue that 900lbs is light, the difference between riding at 900 plus rider and 1360 is huge.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Just like the door sticker on my truck. GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. I used to be in RV Mfg. We had to explain to customers that things might break if you exceed maximum ratings. Also, stainless doesn't mean stain free. LOL!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Just like the door sticker on my truck. GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. I used to be in RV Mfg. We had to explain to customers that things might break if you exceed maximum ratings. Also, stainless doesn't mean stain free. LOL!
The biggest concerns with a GVWR are to not exceed the braking capability.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great , it is nice to know that I am not riding a 1259lb. bike and that maybe 800lbs. seams to be a lot safer to stop fast.
I only have 1500 miles riding a Harley and I know I have a lot to learn. But so far I have rebuilt a transmission and later put in a clutch. Live and learn. Thanks for making me look STUPID! I will get smarter. Have a Lovely Day!

121 - 140 of 155 Posts