V-Twin Forum banner

101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
I just measured a new, fresh out of the box alto.... 1.82. Use the jutter spring. Most extra plate clutches require removal of the jutter, not alto.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You know it seems to me it just won't disconnect enough no matter what adjustment I make and the clutch lever seems kinda spongy. So maybe the friction disc are just to fat with fuzz and the heavy duty spring is just too much for it until they get "smoother" and thinner. What about the push rod? Is there a measurement I can verify on that?
I have a simple question????
If your motor is basically stock.

Why have you chosen to run suck an strong clutch and heavy clutch.
I’m running a pretty light set of springs (5) in mine. My motor has 166 hp & 160 foot pounds torque.
I was running a lock up pressure plate. I went back to the 5 spring set up.
Put it back to stock. I don’t think you need this costly heavy ass clutch for your motor!
Just my opinion!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I have a simple question????
If your motor is basically stock.

Why have you chosen to run suck an strong clutch and heavy clutch.
I’m running a pretty light set of springs (5) in mine. My motor has 166 hp & 160 foot pounds torque.
I was running a lock up pressure plate. I went back to the 5 spring set up.
Put it back to stock. I don’t think you need this costly heavy ass clutch for your motor!
Just my opinion!!!
I was assured by several people that this was the best kit I could get. Even from the mfgr and several others that don't run high horsepower. I even removed the heavy duty diaphragm spring and put my stock one back on. It's all been a nightmare. Everyone's been great helping out with advice but now I have to replace my pressure plate. I actually would have been happy with another stock setup because I'm sure I would have been on the road and not on my lift with parts scattered all over my bench! Also the Alto was basically a gift. Supposed to be a direct part for part replacement with just an extra plate.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I just measured a new, fresh out of the box alto.... 1.82. Use the jutter spring. Most extra plate clutches require removal of the jutter, not alto.
My Alto stack measured "1.80
My stock worn stack measured "1.86

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
That was my theory too. Then I pulled it out and stacked just the steels. They were warped so bad I could see light through them. So most likely, I measured in a low spot or put just enough pressure on my gauge it made the stack "flop" to where I was measuring.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Guys, just installed the Carbonite extra plate kit along with the Alto HD diaphragm spring in my '04 Heritage. I've adjusted this thing 4 different times everywhere from 1/4-3/4 turn out and can't stop the creep in 1st gear. Also can't find neutral unless I'm rolling to the stop and get lucky going into it from 2nd. Seems to be downshifting hard too unless I'm rev matching even at low speeds. I called Alto and spoke to their Senior Technical Director and I guess I blew his mind with my question about ATF fill info and the fact that ATF expands bigtime when hot. I wanted to know if I filled it to the bottom of the spring plate and it expanded a lot if it would be a problem. He said nobody's ever asked him that question before. In questioning using ATF and telling him I've seen threads where someone's said "Alto recommends Primary + or other synthetics he said "That's correct". When I told him one of Alto's CS Reps e-mailed me their recommendations to use ATF type F as well as it's on their installation instructions he told me that's not correct and he was going to talk to "his team" and get that removed from the website and the instructions! Then he said I could use a synthetic fluid if I wanted, but I'd be fine with ATF. Am I confused? YES! Am I frustrated? YES! Can anybody give me some advice? Should I just put some miles on it and try to "Bed" the friction plates in? Should I remove the Heavy Duty (20lb+?) spring? Should I go back to something like Redline? The bike is pretty much stock as far as the engine so horsepower isn't an issue. I'd appreciate the help.
I just looked this clutch up in
“J-P cycle”
The only thing they say about it is
“Synthetic Oil not recommended “
WTF??????

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Yeah, and I talked to Alto the other day and was told I could use anything I wanted! Talk about confusing!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll have to disagree with you on that. I contacted Alto and spoke with the senior tech Roy. He told me "he" designed that clutch pack to be used with those in there.
I'm sorry you are having problems. I just did my clutch on a 1999 Electra Glide FLHT. I only have about 50 miles on the new clutch. Yes I did put in the extra clutch plate kit. Now just before I did the clutch I was wondering about the space because now I am adding a extra plate. I called JP Cycle where I bought the clutch kit and told them that I think I have the wrong clutch kit for my bike ,now I can't remember what was said but the guy at JP Cycle ended up saying DO NOT use the Damper Spring and the Damper spring seat. I think you need to call JP Cycle and talk to the tech guys. My clutch is working fine. Like I said if you used the Damper Spring and the Damper spring seat you have taken up to much space and when you pull in your clutch you are not getting the space to let everything slip. I know what you are thinking , Oh CRAP , I have to take it apart again. You did leave the Damper Spring and the Damper spring seat in didn't you, I am not having problems and you are. I am glad that I found out before I did the clutch kit because I rebuilt my tranmission and did not do the clutch , so yes ,I just took the primary cover off again to do the clutch. I only have 1360 miles on the transmission rebuild. You live and learn.
Call JP Cycle and get ready to take it apart and do not use the Damper Spring and the Damper spring seat. Some people do not have enough experience to know better. Like I said my clutch is working fine; GREAT. If you need more help let me know. This is a new thing and like I said some people do not have enough experience to know about the extra clutch plate kit. PEACE AND LOVE and I am sorry you have to redo your clutch. We will both learn and spread the word about what you need to do when you use an extra clutch plate Kit. Oh 801-696-0946

·
Registered
973 Posts
In the last 5 or 6 years I have probably installed 50 or more Alto clutches in my team mates and my scooter and always use the damper spring. I just measured a new stock HD clutch that was 1.8 which is basically the same as the alto. With the HD screaming eagle extra plate it is necessary to remove the damper spring because of the thickness, but the alto is not that thick.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wait I know what you are asking, No I think it was from Barnett Performance Products clutch kit , But still you are adding an extra plate and you do not need to use the Damper spring or the Damper spring seat , A clutch kit is a clutch kit and just call JP Cycle and ask them about the damper spring and the damper spring seat with an extra clutch plate kit 1-800-318-4823. Let me know if you need more help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
JRockstar, was your clutch an alto?
Wait I know what you are asking, No I think it was from Barnett Performance Products clutch kit , But still you are adding an extra plate and you do not need to use the Damper spring or the Damper spring seat , A clutch kit is a clutch kit and just call JP Cycle and ask them about the damper spring and the damper spring seat with an extra clutch plate kit 1-800-318-4823. Let me know if you need more help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK all I can say is I did not use my damper spring and damper spring seat with the extra plate kit on a 1999 Electra Glide with a 88 ci motor. if you are having problems you might want to think that your bike may not work with them in.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Guys I believe it's the overall stack height that matters. Alto told me to leave them in. Barnett's instructions say to remove them. EnergyOne says to leave them in. It depends on how thick the stack is. For example, Alto's individual plates are thinner than factory HD even if there is an extra plate. They're supposed to be very similar in overall stack height.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well at least you might be on the right track now to find out what the problem might be! All I want to say is if your clutch is not working when you pull in the clutch handle it might be because you are not getting enough space between plates. JUST TRYING TO HELP, Have a LOVELY DAY! So maybe you need to remove damper spring and spring seat, all you can do is maybe try it. I want to know if it worked or not and so do other people.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great I am HAPPY that you were able to figure it out, it was sounding like you were not getting enough clearence. Oh by the way If you Google (Harley Twin cam 88ci strip and rebuild part 1-50 ) this guy is great as he goes through and strips and rebuilds a transmission and motor with great explaining.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
So now I'm inspecting everything... I assume if my compensator cover/spring pack rattles when I shake it, it's toast?

101 - 120 of 155 Posts