V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:Ok guys I need some of your many years of knowledge here. I’ve been doing this build about a month now and starting to get wrapped up. Yesterday I changed the spacer and seal on the crankshaft and cleaned up the rotor. When I put everything back together first off if the compensator nut is not on it and you turn bike over by hand it almost sounds and feels like a large ratchet. Should it be like that? I don’t recall it being that way before but I could have just not paid attention. Regardless now I’ve got the clutch and etc back on and I installed one of these auto primary chain tensioners. It is very tight. I also installed new chains and sprockets though for the build. So I thought maybe it just needs to stretch a little. Now back to the rotor when I turn it over by hand it almost sounds like a small piece of a magnet or something is inside falling down. It doesn’t do it every time however. Also with all these magnets inside there how is this possible. I posted a video with the sound. Please take a look and help me out here. The only darn thing I haven’t completely replaced new is this stator and rotor. I may just be worried about nothing. It’s very minor but I want this to be correct. New chain, new clutch basket, new sprocket, new sprocket nut and clutch nut. Everything is brand new except the rotor and stator. What really got me paying attention is before I installed the compensator nut the way it felt like a ratchet instead of a nice smooth turn. I don’t know if that’s normal or not though. There’s no way the flywheel could be out of balance or anything major like that is there? I’ve taken my time and cleaned everything very good. No hitting with hammer or anything like that.Abother way it sounds is almost like the chain is rubbing but it’s not. I’ve looked closely. I can hear it in the rotor itself.
Please guys any advise here would be greatly appreciated. I’ll send you videos or anything you need to help advise me.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
BRIAN

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok now I have loosened the compensator nut so you guys can hear this. It sounds like the rotor is rubbing against the stator and you can feel it. Is there anything other possibilities?

·
Super Moderator
3,495 Posts
Did you put the spacer behind the shaft extension?I wouldn't run a chain that tight.I prefer the factory tensioner on that generation of Twin Cam.
BTW,from your point of view the rotor and clutch assembly rotate counterclockwise when the bike is running.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you put the spacer behind the shaft extension?I wouldn't run a chain that tight.I prefer the factory tensioner on that generation of Twin Cam.
BTW,from your point of view the rotor and clutch assembly rotate counterclockwise when the bike is running.
Yes we installed the spacer. I turned that direction because I also have cam cover off and didn’t want to spray oil all over. Plus I can find that spot and repeat it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
S
Yeah I have never had a auto tensioner. I felt it was way too tight also. You think I should do away with that and go back to my regular one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn’t have any shins I didn’t change anything at all except the sprocket and chain. The only shim I guess would be the washer behind the large bushing that slides into the seal. I triple checked to make sure the chain wasn’t hitting the rotor.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
chain way too tight would probably bend the tranny shaft if run it like that. Loosen to 5/8 to 7/8 of slack, check alignment with some kind of flat stack then try again.

·
Super Moderator
3,495 Posts

Part #1.
Yes,the stock tensioner in my opinion on that generation Twin Cam is the way to go.It's my preference.The primary chain gets tighter when everything comes up to operating temperature.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you guys sooooo much you saved me about 300$ last night. I thought that chain tensioner could not be correct. I adjusted my old one many of times with the free play and when I called v-twin MFG. they told me first of all since I wasn’t a dealer they technically couldn’t speak to me about. Then they said well it’s a auto tensioner it will loosen up as chain stretches since it was new chain. So I was convinced it was something in that rotor. I went bought new stator and rotor and when I got home I then I read all you guys post. I tore that auto tensioner out and installed my old one back in with proper amount of free play. Problem resolved. Thank you guys so much.

·
Super Moderator
22,598 Posts
That tensioner is too tight. If it wears loose, its just ruining parts. You should be able to adjust the shims to free it up, or better yet put it in the trash. Lots of reasons not to run that style of tensioner.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did I took it off right when you guys started saying that. That thing had tons of hood reviews and etc. what is reasons not to use them? It is just easy enough to do it by hand though. Thanks slog for all the advice. I truly appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
22,598 Posts
I don't know what a hood review is. But that is a cheap copy of a Heydon tensioner. And the issue with all of those units is lack of dampening.

That scooter should have a service plate on the outer primary to gain easy access to the adjuster, so just put the oem unit in and take 15 min to adjust it every 10k miles.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dang iPad got oily during all this and spell checker changes words on me. Good reviews was meant. I did change all back to the oem. I was just wondering why they are bad when so many people think they are the cats meow. Would you stick with the original or swap to Hayden.

·
Super Moderator
22,598 Posts
Dang iPad got oily during all this and spell checker changes words on me. Good reviews was meant. I did change all back to the oem. I was just wondering why they are bad when so many people think they are the cats meow. Would you stick with the original or swap to Hayden.
On that scooter I would stick with the oem unit. They are trouble free, and adjusting them is really not a big issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:eek:Ok guys I need some of your many years of knowledge here. I’ve been doing this build about a month now and starting to get wrapped up. Yesterday I changed the spacer and seal on the crankshaft and cleaned up the rotor. When I put everything back together first off if the compensator nut is not on it and you turn bike over by hand it almost sounds and feels like a large ratchet. Should it be like that? I don’t recall it being that way before but I could have just not paid attention. Regardless now I’ve got the clutch and etc back on and I installed one of these auto primary chain tensioners. It is very tight. I also installed new chains and sprockets though for the build. So I thought maybe it just needs to stretch a little. Now back to the rotor when I turn it over by hand it almost sounds like a small piece of a magnet or something is inside falling down. It doesn’t do it every time however. Also with all these magnets inside there how is this possible. I posted a video with the sound. Please take a look and help me out here. The only darn thing I haven’t completely replaced new is this stator and rotor. I may just be worried about nothing. It’s very minor but I want this to be correct. New chain, new clutch basket, new sprocket, new sprocket nut and clutch nut. Everything is brand new except the rotor and stator. What really got me paying attention is before I installed the compensator nut the way it felt like a ratchet instead of a nice smooth turn. I don’t know if that’s normal or not though. There’s no way the flywheel could be out of balance or anything major like that is there? I’ve taken my time and cleaned everything very good. No hitting with hammer or anything like that.Abother way it sounds is almost like the chain is rubbing but it’s not. I’ve looked
Sounds good. Thank you. (y)
closely. I can hear it in the rotor itself.
Please guys any advise here would be greatly appreciated. I’ll send you videos or anything you need to help advise me.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
BRIAN

The chain looks way to tight

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.