V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I need to remove the primary chain on my '01 Superglide so I can replace the stator. Harley dealers in town didn't have the locking tool. Before I have them order it, does anybody know another way to lock down the sprockets so I can loosen the nuts? Thanks.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
You can also stuff a rag/towel in the chain.It does work,but the correct tool make the experiance much eaiser...george's garage sells it for 21.50 on the sight to the right...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
i use piece of 2x2 about 2"long. jam it between the clutch basket and the chain. blow out any splinters when your done. screwdriver handle works too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I tried so many other ways. This is the most secure and easiest, with a rock-solid feel. I no longer dread the job. Made mine from one of these flat crowbars($3). Cut the straight center section to 7 1/2" long. Scrapped the 2 ends.

Like this-

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I shoved a piece of snowmobile slide in. Basically 1" wide 3/8 thick piece of plastic in. 1x2 board would probably work too.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I had the same problem a while back. I cut up my wifes white nylon cutting board and used it as a primary locking tool. Worked great. BTW my table saw cut right through the cutting board with no problems.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Need something soft enough for the teeth to sink in and bind. I think cutting idea of cutting up a wonder bar was pretty good too. Harley Hog has a simlar tool on his site. Bit requires more cutting and getting some flat steel.

Though not sure how the wonder/stanley bar would cut with a sawzall. That might be a long experience.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ed Y said:
A piece of wood also works as does a used primary chain shoe.
Do You put between the two sprokets (Harley Hog stile) or as the Harley Original stile between the chain and the upper wall od the carter?
tanks in advance

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
One thing that will work well is a old screw driver handle. Make sure you install the locking "tool" in the correct place DO NOT LOAD TE TENSIONER SHOE. You will break it, you place the toll on the top on both times. I have seen people snap the shoe if installed in the bottom. Use of a screw drive handle works great and keeps the other half in a good mood. :cheers:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sorry Hdwrench, I know I am and Ironhead, but may english is whorst only to my mechs knowleadges, I Have to snap the tool-plastic-shoes-or-srewdriverhandle, on the top of the sprocket (comp or clutch) right up between the sprocket and the chain? right. Just in the same place where the plastic stairs tool is suppose to go?
thankyou

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Just finished up the 3:37 installation on my 06 Bagger. Used a high torque Snap-On 1/2 drive air gun. Gear locks as mention above were not needed with the use of this gun.

My 2 cents

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Just finished up the 3:37 installation on my 06 Bagger. Used a high torque Snap-On 1/2 drive air gun. Gear locks as mention above were not needed with the use of this gun.

My 2 cents
And when the magnets start coming loose from the alt, you will know why they say not to use the air wrench except as a last resort. ;)

·
Registered
544 Posts
you can use a piece of plywood 5/8 thick or bigger 2" there about and about 4" inch long let it roll it into the clutch or sprocket gear pending on which one you are trying to loosen. Yep on the air wrenches. A lot of vibration from the gun. Best to use a breaker bar (remember) the sprocket is regular thread and the clutch is reversed.
Take your time and use heat on the sprocket if it wont budge. (remember) to let it cool down as heat expands and will grip tighter then cold. I like a propane torch and let it cool repeat and usually will break the Red Loctite.:clap:
I just ordered mine and waiting for delivery from JP cycle I got both reg and stator for 12o ish HD wanted 110 for just the stator.... but I get an HD bag and box with it. Yes made in America

·
Registered
157 Posts
For a FLT 7.5" long X 1 1/2" wide and at one end cut it back 2" X 1/2" so you have 1" wide left. For a FLS all the same but make it 9.5" long Both 1/4" thick

1 - 20 of 24 Posts