V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Harley Oil Cooler for baggers is just in the wrong place as far as I'm concerned. It's too low and in harms way if you kick something up on the road. I decided I'd roll my own.

I had one of these on the Dyna Sport and I liked the "stealth" look. Took about an 2 hours to install which included some fiddling to get the cooler mounted up higher. Don't mind the dirty bike :laugh:

All done

Here is what the adapter looks like. The bright bracket at 5:00 is the anti rotation bracket. Highly recommended.

And with the filter

The cooler gets plenty of air flow and it is in close enough that you won't notice the additional heat.

I got everything from Iron City Cycles in Pitsburgh PA.
1 771-0008 Jagg Vertical Oil Cooler - Slimline $157.95
1 771-0035 Jagg Oil Cooler Adapter $134.95 (this is the one with the 185 deg thermostat)
1 0713-0048 HARDWARE KIT 4600/4700 $14.95
The part numbers are Drag Speciaties/Parts Unlimited numbers so you might be able to find them cheaper.
$307.85 to my door compared to $295.95 for H-D kit which would have had tax added so my solution was ~$5.00 cheaper.

The best outcome was getting rid of the chrome oil filter and more clearance between the filter and the crank position sensor :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Also good that you've got the "anti-rotation" bracket on the adapter.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
how much temperature drop do you get. we (wife and i) hit just below 300F going to sturgis - loaded running 85mph-90mph across kansas.

i will want to add a cooler before next summer.

about to do 10k service and thinking it can wait,

07 electra glide classic

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
poisoniv said:
how much temperature drop do you get. we (wife and i) hit just below 300F going to sturgis - loaded running 85mph-90mph across kansas.

i will want to add a cooler before next summer.

about to do 10k service and thinking it can wait,

07 electra glide classic
To be honest, I don't know. I'm looking for an Oil Temp Gauge that I like. I do know the heat a month ago (100+ for a couple weeks) really had the bike running very hot. The oil has 600 miles on it and it's pretty dark already (dino). All that got me to do it now rather than later. The last couple of days we've been in the mid 70's and the T-stat is flowing oil so it's getting above 185. As soon as I get a proper temp dip stick I'll let you know what it's running.

·
"What's this do?"
229 Posts
Gerg... That's slick. Pristine. Part numbers are a big help. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
The Harley Oil Cooler for baggers is just in the wrong place as far as I'm concerned. It's too low and in harms way if you kick something up on the road. I decided I'd roll my own.
I agree I also think it doesn't get sufficient airflow as well (behind tire/fender)

Went on a labor day run and got the oil temp up to 230 and it stayed there then when we hit some wet roads it dropped below 200 (thinking it was the water coming off the front tire)
I think I like your idea better and will be removing the HD oil cooler and putting on a vertical one.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
top-asmc said:
I agree I also think it doesn't get sufficient airflow as well (behind tire/fender)

Went on a labor day run and got the oil temp up to 230 and it stayed there then when we hit some wet roads it dropped below 200 (thinking it was the water coming off the front tire)
I think I like your idea better and will be removing the HD oil cooler and putting on a vertical one.
If you read your owner's manual, it states that 230 degrees is normal operating temp.

With many bikes over the years, I have found that the only two things that really control oil temp are your right hand (if you are running 80+, its going to be hot) and rain.

Bwana01

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
i bought the in-dash replacement (Roger McEwan) for my air temp gauge. easy switch out if you can pull the front of the fairing off. i have heard a few stories of dislike for the dig. temp. dip sticks.

if you find an anolog let us know.

thanks

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I agree about the HD cooler. But, I got mine for $250. A couple times a year I take a small pick and get the tiny rocks out.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
bwana01 said:
If you read your owner's manual, it states that 230 degrees is normal operating temp.

With many bikes over the years, I have found that the only two things that really control oil temp are your right hand (if you are running 80+, its going to be hot) and rain.

Bwana01
The motor company may think 230 is OK but the heat is killing me my 89 never got that hot (ran around 190 with no oil cooler)
on a side note I have removed the lowers and it has dropped the temp to around 210 even after a good stint down the highway on a 90 degree day.

My other vehicle is air cooled as well (don't laugh if you guess what it is)
and most recomendations is to keep the oil between 190 and 210 with dino oil
20w50 same oil as the bike. and it stays at 200-210 all day long even in traffic with the oil cooler and 180deg thermostat. thats 1600cc pushing a one ton car around.

Mybe I just have to get used to it

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Gerg, Nice install ! You've helped all of us with your attention to detail and thoroughness. This winter my bike will get a new oil cooler. Great post.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
I've been running pretty much the same setup on my 05 RG for 3 years and have had no troubles. The thermo adapter I have has a locknut, so it doesn't need the anti-rotation bracket. I stayed with the chrome filter (so far :hmmm: )

It is a stealthy location and I hardly ever even notice it. It is out of the way of most rocks too which is good. I keep a small bit of tubing and a couple of hose clamps on the bike, if it ever gets a leak from a big rock I can tie the two lines together and keep on the road. Its unlikely to happen anyway, cause every big rock that comes along seeme to hit me in the shin anyway.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
harley92 said:
it looks good but aren't you concerned about air cooling on the cylinders
That is why it is out to the side instead of in the middle.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
harley92 said:
it looks good but aren't you concerned about air cooling on the cylinders
Actually, no. I did some "feeling" for air flow and if anything the air going between the oil cooler and jug is accellerated. This was all scientific testing... 50 MPH and a before and after feel with an ungloved hand :laugh:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,630 Posts
I turned my engine guard into an oil cooler. Rocks don't hurt it.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
poisoniv said:
i bought the in-dash replacement (Roger McEwan) for my air temp gauge. easy switch out if you can pull the front of the fairing off. i have heard a few stories of dislike for the dig. temp. dip sticks.

if you find an anolog let us know.

thanks
Where does the temp sending unit go?

·
Registered
586 Posts
The motor company may think 230 is OK but the heat is killing me my 89 never got that hot (ran around 190 with no oil cooler)
Evo oil temps don't run as hot and rarely need a cooler. TC's run hotter partly because of the piston-spray feature that cools the piston with oil, and that means the heat is transferred to the oil. They can benefit from a cooler to control peak oil temperatures, usually in the range of 20°.

on a side note I have removed the lowers and it has dropped the temp to around 210 even after a good stint down the highway on a 90 degree day.
Lowers should help with cooling when moving since air is channeled more toward the engine, but hinder it when in traffic because air movement around the engine is more restricted.

...and most recomendations is to keep the oil between 190 and 210 with dino oil 20w50 same oil as the bike. and it stays at 200-210 all day long even in traffic with the oil cooler and 180deg thermostat. thats 1600cc pushing a one ton car around.
Synthetic oil will reduce oil temps about 5-10° and does not oxidize as quickly under high heat.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts