V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since I gave up my sportbike and bought the Harley I am just not fast enough in the corners to keep up with my old riding partners. I am wondering how many live in my neck of the woods. Once I get my HOG membership I will apply for the Ventura Chapter, but the paper says 6-8 weeks before I get my national number. So of all you out there what part of So-Cal do you live in?

I am in the Thousand Oaks area, just south of Ventura.

Richard

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
You've got some cool riding out by you! I'm in Burbank. Usually if I stay in the area, I'll hit PCH, Mulholland (Rock Store Tri-tip sandwich, mmm mmm good!) or occasionally Angeles Crest! I'm just startin' to check out the roads up by Lake Hughes.

Welcome and enjoy! BTW, What kind of Harley did you get?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
95 FXST said:
I'd be careful of that Ventura bunch. Heard they once shot a man just to watch him die.
But that was because he was ridin' an Evo, not a TC-88. :D

Several members reside in So Cal. Watch the posts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OHHHH Lake Hughes, San Franscito, Boquet, are all awesome roads. Of course now I actually get to see what's on either side of the road instead of justa blur.:eek: It's a whole new world to explore now that I can actually see the things around me.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I live in Valencia...about 1/2 mile from Boquet Canyon........real nice ride heading up toward the Antelope Valley. Done it hundreds of times. There are alot of nice rides up this way. It's usually the Rock Store for me though....grab some chow and watch the bikes and the women, not necessarily in that order.

Tony:cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya know, maybe the Rock Store will be a diferent thing now. I usually didn't go up there because the CHP was always looking for the sportbikes. I love Latigo Canyon Road, but it was too risky. They started pulling us over for anything. Understandable though, with all the squids that liked to run up there, they had no choice. Maybe I will see you guys up there some day.

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
"Anything"? Maybe NOT anything. Maybe speeding & racing throught the canyons? Maybe that?

For those unfamilar with the terrain around & near the Rock Store, many sport bike rider would "play" dare devil racer around the turns. Many would brag about rubbing their knees on the ground in the turns. Frequently, they would get caught by the police.

Now you can cruise through the canyons, enjoy the scenery and not have to worrry about getting at ticket. And you can cuss those sport bike riders who race by.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I mean 'anything'. I know people who got pulled over because of smoked windscreens, "they looked like someone they are looking for", and a lot of other reasons just to check them out. Don't get me wrong, I think they needed to do this to try and slow down some of the idiots that ride sportbikes. I just tried to stay away from the more popular spots, and I stayed out of trouble.

Richard

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live up in the Antelope Valley and am interested in hitting the Rock Store, can anyone give me directions?

Thanks, Ginzu

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get to the 101 and go north towards Ventura, get off on Kanan and go south(left)(the 101 actually runs east/west on this stretch). Take Kanan about 3-4 miles or so until you get to Troutdale, make a left, go to stop sign (about 1 mile) make a right on to Mulholland Hwy. Take Mulholland a couple of miles and you will see it on the east(left) side of the road.

Important - watch your speed at all times when you get around the Rock Store, CHP is out in force watching for sportbikes.

Once there kick back, check out other bikes. If your lucky (or care) you will get to see a movie or TV star or two. Take off in any direction for some of the best canyons in the country.

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Ginzu said:
I live up in the Antelope Valley and am interested in hitting the Rock Store, can anyone give me directions?

Thanks, Ginzu
Here's a link with pictures and directions from PCH - Rock Store

You can also get there from the 101 side by taking one of many roads up to Mulholland (Topanga is the one that comes to mind first.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mdrsteve's link reminded me of one other that is great for CA roads. Pashnit.com
Check out the California Roads link.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Ginzu

Heres the site.......

Rock Store

Enjoy
Tony:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts