V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
'04 FLHRPI
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm out on a 6 hour ride on Labour Day with the wife on the back. Just me & her, no other bikes, and we're on our way back home. Doing 70 mph on a 2 lane black top. No one in front of me, & 1 cage behind. Gravel on my right side, then a ditch, then trees. The oncomming traffic is approaching, and the 2nd cage in the oncomming line pulls out to pass the 1st cage. Now he's in my lane, and I'm saying to myself "Buddy, pull back in, 'cause you're not going to make it". He's comming at me fast and I figure that there are 3 possible outcomes: 1) He hits me head-on; 2) I pull onto the gravel, lose control, hit the ditch & then slam into a tree after flying through the air; or 3) He pulls back in and everything's fine. So I clutch and break slowly so as not to lock it up, and I pull to...the left, towards the yellow line. I figure it's my safest bet, 'cause hopefully he'll pass my on my right (I'll pass between the 2 cars). He does exactly what I wanted him to. He passes me on my right side and hits the gravel. He starts to fish tail, and as I pass him, I look in the mirror and see a huge cloud of dust. The cage behind me also made it through without getting hit. I think he went into the ditch. Probably some young punk driving like a jerk trying to impress his girl. And interestingly enough, 14 people died this Labour Day weekend in traffic related accidents here. Thankfully me & the wife wern't 15 & 16. But, I'm sure someone out there will say I should have done something different. Oh, and no, I didn't stop to see if the guy was ok. I probably would have dragged him out and beat him for almost killing us.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
You're lucky. A friend of mine did exactly what you described. Unfortunately, the kid coming at him head-on decides at the last minute to try to get off the shoulder. Wound up squeezing my friend into another oncoming car. Cost him his right leg all the way up to the hip.

What was the speed limit on the 2 lane road? If it was 55 MPH, I'd also say you were going too fast.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
I would not have the nerve to do what you did. Had a similar experience this summer -- braked hard & pulled to the right. The idiot pulled in at the last second.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Man,
I might have been dead anyway from a heart attack. Sounds like a good guess on whether to go center or shoulder. I would have likely taken my chance with the gravel. Happy you made it.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
gkellys said:
Man,
I might have been dead anyway from a heart attack. Sounds like a good guess on whether to go center or shoulder. I would have likely taken my chance with the gravel. Happy you made it.
I would have probably taken to the right edge myself. If I move towards left of center and he decides at the last minute to brake and pull back in I might be in his way and still get clipped. I think you are very fortunate that it worked out the way it did. Hope you said you prayers thanking him for your good fortunes.

·
'04 FLHRPI
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ed Y said:
What was the speed limit on the 2 lane road? If it was 55 MPH, I'd also say you were going too fast.
Sorry, I was going 70 kpm, not 70 mph. I guess thats about 45 miles.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Holysh!t! I don't think I would've had the balls to pull that one off! It'd be just my luck he would decide to pull back too late and cause a head on collision......

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
HOLY CRAP!! Wow! That definitely qualifies as a pucker factor of "11" on a scale of 1 to 10.

That's one of those things where you have to make a split second decision and hope it's the right one. Could've been REALLY bad, but I sure am glad it turned out the way it did....

YIKES!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good thinking. A friend of mine had the same thing happen he took the shoulder and on coming car took the shoulder at the same time. His leg still isn't right probably 15 years now. Glad all is well Ride Safe. Hope the wife will still go on rides. It doesn't take much of that to change their mines about riding.

·
'04 FLHRPI
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
skypilot7103 said:
Hope the wife will still go on rides. It doesn't take much of that to change their mines about riding.
She's cool. She was fine the whole time. Just remained calm throughout the ordeal. She was just as pissed at the guy as I was. Laughed about it later. What you gonna do? Never get back on a bike again? We both love it too much to quit. If that's the way I'm going out, I guess I'll go out loving what I'm doing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
WOW! You, my friend, have some mighty BIG stones.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Glad you made it OK. These deals come down to decision time and IMHO that is what a biker has to be ready to do is make a decision and stay with it. To some degree that is true in a cage too, but having all that sheet metal increases the margin for error by quite a bit, at least from survivability standpoint. I agree with the above posters that it took "quite a pair" to make the decision to hug the center line and let him go by on the right, probably few would have made that decision and would have opted for the gravel and ditch instead. You made the decision and stayed with it and it paid off. This is just another illustration of the fact: Motorcycles are NOT dangerous. People in cages trying to kill us ARE!
I hope this is you and your wife's close call and you don't have to experience another. I think all of us eventually have one if we ride enough and long enough, and we are blessed by God anytime we survive one. Ride safe and live long and prosper my friend.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
It always amazes me how we can make such snap decisions at the moments that count. And fortunately it worked out.
I had a head on in the cage once that was caused by my moving right and so did the idiot passing on a hill. Actually he moved left. We hit head on at 40 mph, and it totalled my Eldo.
Better me than the car. Keep riding, you can always clean out the drawers!!!!-2$en#e-

·
'04 FLHRPI
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the positive posts. Split second decisions will always be critized after the fact, but I guess I made the right decision, because I'm still here. Thanks again. Unfortunately we all know that this situation is bound to occur again to any one of us.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What a set of cajones. It's great to see some one who can make a decision in a split second instead of becoming a hood ornament or road rash.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts