V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum(only about four days) and joined to gain information. I am looking to purchase my first Harley, or road bike for that matter, in the next few months. I started riding bikes at the age of seven, when I recieved my Honda rx-75 for Christmas. I rode until I went to college(not the rx-75...silly). From time to time, a friend would let me borrow his street bike for the day, but never took the plunge to purchasing one. I have been looking and admiring Harleys for the past eight years or so. I am ready to reward myself with my first scoot. I am about to finish my tour of defending the constitution against enemies, foreign and domestic. Being a southwest Virginia countryboy stationed in Germany(Bavaria), I am ready to go home and enjoy the fruits of my labor. Going back to the reason for joining the board, I need insight and advice. Being my first bike, is it adviseable to get something like a dresser? I like the versatility of the RoadKing. I want something that I can cruise on and take small trips with my new German wife. (Another reason why I want the Hog...convertible two-seaters aren't conduceive as a family ride.) I also like the look of the Heratige Softtail and the regular Softail. Sat on a friends Heratige and it fit me well. Then sat on a Softtail and felt bunched up. I am barely 5'10" at 225 lbs. so, I'm in the middle on height and feel too big for a Sportser. I know it is all about what you like, but it is so difficult to decide. Anyway, I just wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself and give some background information. I am sure I will be asking questions, as I have many. From what I have read so far, everyone seems knowledegable and friendly. I hope it is extended to me. (I know....another "fifteen thousand dollars and fifteen mile" rider, but ya got to start somewhere.) Thanks for taking the time to read this and safe riding!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Fearnot, are you buying your bike through AAFES, I'm in the middle of that process right now. I purchased a XL1200C along with the 6 year extended warranty, total cost was less than the price of the bike from my local dealer back in the states. This bike purchase was the best thing to come out of my year here in Honduras. 11 Days and a duffle bag drag....

Gary

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that, but don't have a motorcycle license. I am short and don't plan to go home to get it. Since I don't have a motorcycle license, I don't believe I can get one here or have one sent to the states. If I could, I would. It is the best way to go. If many people knew how much cheaper and easier, as far as availibilty is concerned, Harleys through AAFES are, they'd be pi**ed. I spoke with a few people and was told in Kiserslautern they have them still in crates. They just pull down what you want and prep them. You could have what you want in days. Pretty nice!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome to the forum,fearnot69!

Sounds like you've got the bug bad,my friend.You're in the exciting,nerve wracking stage of the game...what to get,where to get it,etc,etc.Nothing wrong with seeking opinions,asking questions,but ultimitately you'll have to decide for yourself.

My ride is a '95 Heritage & it works great for my wife & I.We recently had a 200 mile day in 95 degree heat & made out fine.Though the Heritage is not a tourer,it can eat up the miles quite adequately.Our friends on their '95 Road King were about as comfortable as we were.Apples & oranges!!

You'll have to decide what's right for you for many reasons.While sitting on a bike is fine,riding different models would at least give you an idea how they compare in areas that may be important to you.

RoadKing,Heritage,Geezer..errr...ElectraGlide,you really can't go wrong with any of em.

Bottom line,get the one that gives ya the widest grin & just enjoy it!!

Good luck in your search & let us know what you decide.And Thanks for your part in keeping us free!!
guido

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, guido. When I get back the US, I plan on renting a few to help narrow it down. I want something that I can ride daily and still do some traveling comfortably with my lady. Got the bug? Yeah, pretty bad. I look at ebay on a regular basis and just drool. I get out of jail...I mean the service on 31March03. I'll be in the saddle by summer. Bet your bottom dollar!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome fearnot,

Where are you from in Southwest VA? There are a lot of nice riding in that area, great places to visit, Natural Bridge, the BR parkway, Luray well you know. I think any of the bikes you are considering would be great, I like the RK or Heritage because, if I recall correctly, both come with bags. Which is nice for a little over nighter at any B&B. Check out AAFES, I am not sure they care if you have a license or not and you can have it delivered to the nearest Dealer ready and waiting and save big $. Anyway welcome and good luck on your purchase, and hopefully AAFES hasn't sold their allotment yet.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VA V-Rod, I'm from Martinsville. Where's that? Well, if you follow NASCAR, then you know. Not much there, but I call it home. We are about a stone's throw from North Carolina. I know it is a far cry from the bussle and hussle of NOVA. I've spent some time up around the Manassas area. When my father was alive, we showed VWs. We have a couple convertible Karma Ghias. It's nice up there, but..a...little...busy! I live about ten minutes from the start of the BR Parkway. Nice riding area! My mother is going to visit soon, so while I am renting a car I plan to talk to someone about bike sales. Thanks for the advice. Ride safe, J.T.

·
Registered
695 Posts
swanienufan,
When I was in K-Town, Germany a few years ago I wanted to order my Harley through AAFES but didn't have enough saved up. One of the few benefits the military have left is being able to get a great deal (especially where you're overseas) on a bike or a car through AAFES because of the break military get on proces and taxes. How much were you able to save?
fearnot69,
The license issue isn't an issue because it's not part of any of the paperwork. What is an issue is being able to sell the bike you order. Because the military get the breaks on prices and especially taxes the government makes it hard for you to sell -- to avoid black marketing. Anyway good luck with your decisions.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks cox9000. I need to go by and talk to the guys. I get out, supposedly, on 31march03. I say that because I plan on marrying a german and getting the paperwork done, with the INS.....well, you know what I mean. I want to take the safety course to get my license. I don't know how long a dealer would hold the bike or if they could have one waiting for me when I ETS. I'll just have to go by and bug them I guess. Thanks again. J.T.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I figured that I saved a minimum of $1,000. The bike was priced about $300 under MSRP and I know there was a substantial savings for the warranty. With what my local dealer had marked up on the MSRP and what I saved on the warranty, I feel pretty good. It is just real hard to plunk down that kind of cash when the last new bike I bought was $2700 for a '85 700 Honda Shadow.

I will give the dealer credit though, when I was home on leave in May the dealer was out of new Sportster Customs but said he would have some coming in June. I explained that I was in the military overseas and just home on leave and wouldn't be around to look at them. He then told me to go to AAFES and order it through them, I could have it delivered to thier dealership and they would prep the bike. He said that they have no problems with that and would just like me to consider them when getting service and upgrades done. I was impressed that they would do this, until they do something to steer me away, they have my business from now on. The dealership is Frieze HD in Belleville IL.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, swanienufan. How long will your bike be there before you get out? I would consider purchasing new, considering what I am willing to pay and the average prices for used bikes. I want to spend as little as possible, but used Harleys aren't cheap. I just spent a hour or so on the homepage looking at MSRPs. I've narrowed my choices to a couple bikes, but I've never owned a road bike. I would like to drive a couple bikes before I 'plunk down that kind of cash'. I want a HOG, but I want to be sure before I spend that kind of money. Anyway, I can wait a while and decide what I really want or just order one now on judgement and pick it up when I get out. I think waiting might be the best, but I'd hate to not take advantage of the aafes savings. J.T.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Welcome to the H/D Forum. We're glad you're hear. You've gotten several good suggestions so far.

Keep the Blue Ridge Parkway in mind as a great place to ride and there are some wonderful spots in North Carolina, too.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks pasadenajim. I've enjoyed myself quite a bit on this forum. People are informative, funny, and accepting. Look forward to getting back to VA gettin a HOG.(unless I order one here) J.T.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Welcome to the forum Fearnot. Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my bike! Good luck.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks HarleyJoel. I've put a good deal of energy in the decision. Glad to have found the forum. J.T.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
fn69, Welcome to the forum. Now go get that license! The military also provides the MSF safety course. You'll need it to rent. Rent a few different bikes to get the feel.

swanienufan, Welcome also to you too!

Now both you guys care to explain your handles?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fourhour, I got mine through accident. 'FearNot' was my squad's motto, since we are combat medics. I added the 69, since I was born in 69. After I created it, I thought that it could be misinterpreted as sexual and got a laugh out of it. Kept it ever since. J.T.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will post this elsewhere, but at the beginning of the thread we dicussed purchase new through AAFES. Well, I just went by and spoke with the rep. He only had two Road Kings, out of the four different types of bikes I was considering. Well, with laced wheels and the alarm system, $16,800 out the door. Bad news: I would have to have someone in the states pick it up at the dealer. Not so hard, but(I know I'll get some flack for this) my Mom will have a sh*t fit when he drops it off at the house. (I'm 32 y.o. and a momma's boy, but if you had my mother you would be too) I won't be able to get it for another six or seven months, because it will be delivered in Sept. or Oct. I supposedly get out 31March03. I plan on getting married here and might have to extend to get things squared away to get my new bride home to the states. Comments welcomed, sarcasm understood. J.T.

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Have them send it to Atlanta. I'll pick it up for you, break it in, have the 1K service done,(I'll have them charge it to you), have the Stage 1 done(again charged to you) and hopefully by March it shouldn't have more than about 10K miles on it. I won't even let your Mom know it's yours. Hey what else can I do for a fellow Veteran....I mean were brothers right? Seriously dude.....go for it. You can't beat that price in the States and I really will help you if I can.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
fearnot69 said:
I thought that it could be misinterpreted as sexual
What's wrong with a handle that sounds sexual? Fourhour:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts