V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a hole in the rear fender where the wiring loom passes from under the seat through to the rear light. On my bike there is no grommet to fill out the hole so any water spray off the rear wheel is directed very effectively onto the under seat electrics.

Not good, especially if the roads are salted, as in my case.

I have packed this hole (and one just below) with neoprene wet suit material.

Might be just my bike but it's worth checking out to save your electrics getting full of crud.

Now I have to surf with my butt hanging out!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a couple of buddies who don't know each other but ones got a Shovel Bobber style and the others got an 80 Evo and both of them surf / windsurf.

Must be the mindset - open air stuff etc.

BTW those motorcycle shades from 'Best motorcycle glasses' with the foam on the back are great for windsurfing if you put a strap on the back.

I don't suppose you have a problem with weather related issues for your bike where you are but I sure do.

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
Hey Oilslick!

What did the dealership say about the grommet that's supposed to go in that hole under the fender? Did they put one in or is there really none supposed to be there ? I found out that I don't have a grommet there either (but lots of crud and $hit after riding on barely wet roads).

Let us know what they say, willya?

Ride Safe
Sponk

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't think there's supposed to be one there. I don't have one on my bike either. It's a fairly large hole and it doesn't have sharp edges, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
My 1998 does have a grommet, and my 2000 did also! Maybe the newer bikes 01 and up don't. Anybody that has a parts breakdown book should be able to answer that. The hole in my fender with the grommet is quite small, however I would think that even a much larger hole despite a smooth painted edge, would be suspect to constant movement and vibration. I vote for the grommet either way!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grommets a go go

I havn't got back to the dealer yet but I have a repair manual on it's way so I'll check this out to see if it shows anything.

If this is how it should be built i.e. without any kind of seal, then I'll just take the fender off and fix it myself - I have access to that kind of stuff anyway.

I would also like to fill the gap down past the swing arm pivot somehow. (maybe that wet suit material again?!?!)

I also noticed that there is some kind of plastic wiring harness restrainer clipped to the frame tubes next to the swing arm pivot. This is snapped in half. Don't know if it's important or not but another one for the dealer I suppose.

If only we all had warm, dry weather and clean, traffic free roads but still, I love this bike, even in the cold and rain!!

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
??????????

My bikes must be different? A couple of friends with bikes ranging from 1995 to 2005 do not have grommets. 1 has had an electrical short at this point. We are guesing that the dealer where I bought my bikes may be responsible for the grommets. Nothing is indicated in the parts break down of three of the bikes. Maybe this is one of those good service departments who would actually take a proactive rather then reactive stance on a possibly known among the small ranks problem?

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
All wheather 06 dyna riders

I noticed alot of shorcuts on the 06 models. Like not welding in rear footpeg mounts and leaving only the swingarm area to install them. I heard its illegal to install pegs on swing arm-and thats why they don't do it!.....dynageno

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sponk,

I saw the dealer today and he says that the bikes are built without any type of seal in the fender but no matter, it's no big issue, I had already put a grommet in the fender where the loom comes through and one in the smaller hole below plus I have extended the fender down past the swingarm pivot.

This seems to have stopped most of the crud spray although I am now looking into extending the front mudguard down to stop junk getting thrown all over the motor.

I know that this is going to look seriously uncool but I want to spend more time riding and less time cleaning and it is only until the better weather arrives.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oilslick said:
I am now looking into extending the front mudguard down to stop junk getting thrown all over the motor.....I know that this is going to look seriously uncool but I want to spend more time riding and less time cleaning and it is only until the better weather arrives.

slick, why not find a used roadking full front fender, narrow it about 1/2" so it will fit into the mid glide and put it on the bike?
kind of a Duo-glide look.

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
A few years ago, I bought a $10 rubber mudguard meant for a bagger out of one of the catalogs, trimmed it down to fit the shape of my Dyna front fender and bolted it on through the existing hole. Really cuts down on the spray ...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bobber rider, Yeah, I was thinking that I need a Road King for the winter and the Bob for the summer but the Street Bob is so sweeeeeet and I am not that rich that I might just look at TomB's idea.

To all at V-Twin Forum, enjoy the ride whatever and smile when that sport bike rider squeezes past you. As for the Street Bob - I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it, and I love Harley Davidson. Now send me a free one for the plug LOL.:hystria:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts