V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, haven't posted here in a while. Been busy with some other things lately.

I got to take my bike (04 RoadGlide, Stage 1, 95"kit) on a little road trip up to the States a while back.
Stopped into the dealer where we were visiting to get an oil change and have the cam chain tensioners checked out as the bike has 38K on it.
Well, after the tensioners were replaced, they found that the bike was running way too lean and the rear head was cracked and the piston burnt.
(Yes, it did have the upgraded software as well as the RaceFueler installed. It always ran hot. I just figured it was from tooling around down in Mexico all the time.)
Ended up riding home on the bus. My bike is now about 1200kms away in the shop.
Anyway, now I am looking at new jugs, pistons as well as heads. I figured that since we had to do all of this, we might as well replace the cams and go whole hog.
I know that the general consensuses here is to port the stock heads and go to gear drive cams. Believe me, if I had the time, I would do this. But, I just do not have the time and the dealer is recommending (suprise) SE parts.
Anyway, what would you guys build if you had the pick of the SE catalog?

The bike is an 04 Roadglide and I treat it like a red headed stepchild (No offense against redheads) What I mean is it gets ridden in HOT (105F plus) temps, 2 up loaded with tour pack @80-90 mph for hours at a time.
The bike rarely sees 4K rpm. I like low end torque. (Think John Deere)
Also had SE 2 into 1 pipe and a RaceTuner.

Which would be better? 1550HO or the 1550 HT?
I am thinking the HT?

So, if you had the pick of the catalog, what would you do for a bagger?

Thanks and,
Ride Safe,
Vettster
If I go with the HT, what cam would be better? 257?, 251? or 211?

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Since its ridden 2 up and 4k and below. I'd go 95" with flat tops and 204 cams and then call it a day. I think with the other SE combinations your going to find its a pooch and might be a ping monster in the RPM range you ride.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
msocko3 said:
Since its ridden 2 up and 4k and below. I'd go 95" with flat tops and 204 cams and then call it a day. I think with the other SE combinations your going to find its a pooch and might be a ping monster in the RPM range you ride.
Got to looking at the catalog again :RTFB: and this is pretty much what we decided to do. Along with the addition of the SE heads.
This, along with my existing parts should make for a reliable combination.
Thanks for the input.

Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Going to be a interesting combination. Looks like its going to be at or close to 10.1 compression. Maybe someone will chime in who knows how far you can push the compression with that cam before your riding a unhappy bike. I would have went stock heads or a set of stock heads ported by one of the sponsors set around 9.5 compression.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
msocko3 said:
Going to be a interesting combination. Looks like its going to be at or close to 10.1 compression. Maybe someone will chime in who knows how far you can push the compression with that cam before your riding a unhappy bike. I would have went stock heads or a set of stock heads ported by one of the sponsors set around 9.5 compression.
:thanks:
I'm going to try it. In the SE catalog, it's the most aggressive recommendation for the 204 cams.
Ported heads from one of the sponsors would have been my first choice. It's just a matter of where the bike is and the fact that we are just getting into good riding season where I live. I want my bike back!
If the heads turn out to be a problem, I can always ship my old ones to one of the sponsors for re-working and then sell the SE ones.:yes:

Ride Safe,
Vettster

1 - 5 of 5 Posts