V-Twin Forum banner

All Of sudden she runs like crap

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ocdmachine 
#1 ·
Ok so I got my bike through inspection the other day and put my aftermarket exhaust back on.

Today I get ready to go for a ride and she starts fine and warms up I hit the road and she runs like crap.

so I turn around and go home and check all connections and everything seems fine but just for giggles I disconnect the power commander and put it back on the stock ecm same result.

It seems like she is running out of fuel .

She will idle for about one minute and then pop and cough out the air-cleaner and die.

The pump runs like normal.

Is there anyway to check and see if I'm getting fuel flow?

Anyone ever see a fuel filter get that clogged? How would you know if it was?

The only thing I can think of is to try and put a fuel pressure gauge in and see what I'm getting.

I also reloaded the map and made sure the firmware was updated no changes.

Any suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Bad fuel pump? bad fuel pump hoses?

#3 ·
yep

Thats what I was thinkin
Just wondering if there is a way to check before I throw down $s on a new one.
The pump does seem to be cyclying normally which is what brought the filter to mind now that you mention the hoses I guess I'll have to dig in and take a look.

#4 ·
symtom could be crank position sensor. the computer cannot check this in its self test. It will not throw a code. When they get weak they become heat sensitive and start cutting out. Then they will loose track of the crank position and start backfireing. Sometimes they open up and quit all togeather no more fuel injection or spark, lights out. The good news is they are easy to change and us price is 54.00

#5 ·
fixed

well since all the usual culprits were located in the same place (the tank)
I jumped in and replaced them all (pump,filter,regulator,hoses,check valve)
First thing I noticed was the pump was much quieter second thing I noticed was that the decel pop was gone.
Could a weak fuel pump been causing this all along?
I don't know but I do know that I can ride again:wootdnc:

#7 ·
not sure

ocdmachine said:
Would you mind sharing the cost? My bike is having similar issues and like you, hate to start throwing $$$ at it! Would this perhaps be covered under an extended warranty?
I don't know about the warranty mine doesn't have one.

All together I think it cost me a total of about $500 in parts ( I ordered other stuff at the same time so it may be cheaper)

I got all my stuff from Zanotti's cause they are one of the few that will ship to an overseas military address.

I did all the labor myself and it only took about an hour or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.