V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife and i set out to go to a bike night on my 04 hearitage we were about 10 miles out of town following 4 cagers going about 60 mph . the front cager desided he want to turn all of a sudden and the 2nd cager went around him in the gravel throwing gravel all over the road .the 3rd cager went around in the gravel and darted across the road and into the ditch on the otherside of the road and ended up flipping 3 times. the 4th cager which was a friend of mine went thew the gravel so then it was my wife and i riding 2 up i hit the rear brake first and then started to apply the front brake lightly the back tire locked up and sliding and the 1st cager still hadnt moved yet so there was the 1st cager and the 4 cager side by side and know were to go for me and my wife the rear end of the was starting to come around on me :yikes: . i dont know why but i let up on the rear brake i think to see if i could stop quicker if the rear tire wasnt sliding and when i let up on the rear brake the bike stood back up and at that time the 1st cager was starting to move around the corner and gave enough room between the 1st cager and the 4th cager to split the two and we made it threw without a scratch this all happened so quick that when we made it threw the 3rd cager was still flipping in the ditch right beside us it was an exprience i will never forget:blink: . my wife was great she never paniced or anything she just held on with her legs and her arms . i thanked her. so my lesson that i learned was dont follow so close

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Thank God you guys are OK. I think if you had applied allot more front brake you would have been better off . The front brake is 70% of your braking power. The rear brake does squat except skid. Not to judge you I wasn't there just a suggestion....Glad your safe!!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Good on you for keeping your wits. I agree with reg. Glad you are okay.

In the msf course, they teach that once you lock up the rear... keep it locked lest when you release it, the bike, as you stated, suddenly bolts upright and can throw you off the high side. I have found that when I have locked up the rear and it starts to come around to feather the back brake off. This gradually rights the skid and still yields braking. I do it instinctively... maybe from riding dirt for years. I may be wrong, but when the tire is catching up to me, I don't want it passing me.

I have been consciously trying to use more front than rear, but it is a hard habit to break.

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
That stuff happens so fast that instinct takes over .. glad you got out OK and didn't high-side. How long did it take to get unclenched from the seat?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
glad you two came out with just the story of what happened around you and not to you.

good luck and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
happy you guys are ok and didnt crash. every time i get close to an automobile, i think how is that driver going to try to kill me. it at least helps to prepare in case a situation develops.
BTW, how is your friend and the guy who flipped?

·
hearitage 04 vivid black
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they are all doing good .every one told my wife that she was lucky that she was on a bike with a veteran rider on it but truth is at that time i had only had 6 months of riding in in the last 20 years ha ha ha .

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
wow, an amazing event. great job of handling it. I would have been watching the car flip, no doubt. Your wife also did awesome. If she moved her weight, it would have been a different outcome. hope the cagers are all OK as well. Peace!

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
reg26 said:
Thank God you guys are OK. I think if you had applied allot more front brake you would have been better off . The front brake is 70% of your braking power. The rear brake does squat except skid. Not to judge you I wasn't there just a suggestion....Glad your safe!!
How could he have been better off, he made it through without a scratch?

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
8-Ball said:
Good on you for keeping your wits. I agree with reg. Glad you are okay.

In the msf course, they teach that once you lock up the rear... keep it locked lest when you release it, the bike, as you stated, suddenly bolts upright and can throw you off the high side. I have found that when I have locked up the rear and it starts to come around to feather the back brake off. This gradually rights the skid and still yields braking. I do it instinctively... maybe from riding dirt for years. I may be wrong, but when the tire is catching up to me, I don't want it passing me.

I have been consciously trying to use more front than rear, but it is a hard habit to break.
HOLY CRAP!! :yikes: Reading that post made the hair stand up on my arms... So glad that you kept it up on 2 wheels!

I too had always thought you were supposed to use mostly rear brake, but from reading Harris' lessons and other posts I learned that's incorrect. Also learned that if you lock up the rear tire, NOT to let it go or it can flip you over the "high side". I'm going to be practicing this stuff as much as possible - it has to become a habit in order to be useful in an emergency. Don't know what I'd have done in a situation like this.... Just glad it turned out like it did...

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
The rear brake is pretty much useless in a panic stop. Just make sure you are not in a turn and you are headed straight when you slam on the front brake otherwise your front end will slide out just like the rear.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Lady Godiva said:
HOLY CRAP!! :yikes: Reading that post made the hair stand up on my arms... So glad that you kept it up on 2 wheels!

I too had always thought you were supposed to use mostly rear brake, but from reading Harris' lessons and other posts I learned that's incorrect. Also learned that if you lock up the rear tire, NOT to let it go or it can flip you over the "high side". I'm going to be practicing this stuff as much as possible - it has to become a habit in order to be useful in an emergency. Don't know what I'd have done in a situation like this.... Just glad it turned out like it did...
Thanks Lady G... I've been told that I'm protected by the gurus... had my chart done by a hindu.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It is that time of the year....spring had sprung and the birds,bees and motorcycles are out.

For the ones that have not taken the MSF basic riding course, get signed up!

For the ones that are older than dirt....get signed up or take the Experienced courese, you never get to old to learn.

Ride Safe...

Spuds

1 - 15 of 15 Posts