V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Model and Year machine..?

It is a technical forum, if you need help it helps others to know what you are working on.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Are you sure there is a problem with the starter?
You can do a couple of voltage drop tests that will tell you for sure...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problems.
My starter is old, I i am sure the TBO is long past.
Time to renew, so sometimes bigger is better.??
I have 225 CCP and it spins over pretty well with this cam, but once in a whilst
it will get stopped in mid-stroke whith hot OAT.
I am thinking a little more torq from the starter and this mid-flight jam would not happen?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I know what that hesitation of the starter is, my `89 Softail had that feature built in at the factory I think...

The `89 model year starters were only .9kw, so everything had to be perfect in the starting circuit.

With a good battery, and clean connections on the positive and negative side that little wimpy starter lasted 32 years, I just replaced it a few months ago with an All Balls unit, it is a 1.4kw I think.

My engine doesn`t have increased compression (running Andrews EV27 cam), the 1.4kw starter cranks it pretty good.

How do the contacts look in the solenoid?

It is a real pain in the a$$ to pull the starter on Softails, worst job on the bike...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
All balls is a very strong and powerful starter. I had a 1.4kw wit a bagger size premium battery from drag specialties with upgraded heavy cables and was able to dependably crank a 124" with 10.8:1 compression WITHOUT compression releases.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been running a Battery Tender lithium 300 CCA
They are unbelievably lightweight! @ 3.5 lbs!
It has been on its last legs after five years of use.
They are now making a 400 CCA battery, really lightweight too!
It no doubts will be better.
Being I cant find anyone here with a larger starter for exp, I may just try the newer battery.

·
In disguise
2,859 Posts
I recently installed a All Balls 1.4KW starter in my 1999 FXR2, after some years of slowly degrading performance. Could have been the clutch, could have been solenoid contacts, never was sure. Figured after 22 years I had gotten my money’s worth. My Evo has SE heads (9.5-1).

The new starter is noticeably stronger and never misses on touching the start button. Turns the engine easily. Direct replacement.

I went for the 1.4kw unit. Is the 1.7kw really much better, and in what way?

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
Well,, we all know that with the 1.7 starter, the battery and cables must be up to the task of supplying the 1.7kw, without interruption or bottlenecking the flow from the battery to the starter is always an issue...
All that to say,,, I think you are on the right track...
Some of the 1.7 starters are about an inch longer that the stock and smaller starters,, be prepared for that I may just be supposing,, I do remember 1, on a 113" custom touching the rear pipe,, after riding a while, it needed time too cool before it would restart,, it made a ride sooooo,,, long

Like everything else, the cables and battery need to be matched to the starters max draw,

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes and all true. (of course and thanx)
I don't know how to convert the needed amps required for a 1.7 starter.
I am thinking the 400 plus CCA battery ought to do it?
If not, add one more, as they are plenty small and plenty light! (lithiums)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have the 1.7 on my Ultima 131 and it turns over no issues. Better than the big ass 2.4 Ultima starter it came with that rubbed the frame rail. Smaller yet stronger, crazy what quality components get ya haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts