V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an '02 Fat Boy yesterday. Seeing it was 17 degrees out this AM and there is a foot of snow on the ground I can't ride it yet, so I was "playing" with it this morning. It didn't come with an owners manual and did come with a factory alarm. I turned it on with the key fob but it wont shut off. I assume you shut it off from the key fob. Do you press it once, twice, or what??? Also will it drain the battery faster if it is left on for an extended period of time? I assume it will.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
If the Alarm is the same as 03's you have to press the fob 2 times, quickly to disarm the alarm. Mine stays off, unless i arm it. Some arm by themselves.. if programed.

Im sure it will drain the battery over time.

Chaz

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chaz,

I wasn't pressing it 2 times quick enough and was holding the button too long.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Yea.. I learned that way... I was like WTF!!!!! brand new bike, and can't get the alarm to turn off.. Then I read the manual... lol...

Glad to help.
ç:D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Still might want to get a manual.. They different settings for storage, sensitivity,& code. Or if you remove your batt. you have to do a sequence to get it to start.

·
Registered
659 Posts
the drain on the battery isn't noticable - the battery will drain over time on it's own if you don't ride it or hook it up to a charger.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yeah the day they delivered mine to work I parked out front and once word got out I had my bike there were like 25 people checking it out. at lunch. I decided to fock with the alarm. I like to never got it to disarm. Talk about embarassing.

At least it is a worthless alarm and the lights are the only thing that were blinking instead of a siren.:D

I add the siren next week if it ever comes in from my Ebay win.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Note in the manual, you need to set a personal code for the security system. If anything happens to your keyfobs, like, you lose the one you use and you misplaced the other, you have to replace the security system if you have not set a personal code. Instructions in the manual...

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
NCFatBoy said:
Note in the manual, you need to set a personal code for the security system. If anything happens to your keyfobs, like, you lose the one you use and you misplaced the other, you have to replace the security system if you have not set a personal code. Instructions in the manual...
I realize that I'm not the sharpest pencil in the drawer, but it seems to me that the personal code instructions in the manual/video aren't very good or the system isn't very user friendly.....or both. I think the code system pretty much sucks from the user standpoint. None of my cars ever came with a personal user code in their security systems. Wonder why it's needed for my bike?

·
Registered
228 Posts
trooper113 said:

I realize that I'm not the sharpest pencil in the drawer, but it seems to me that the personal code instructions in the manual/video aren't very good or the system isn't very user friendly.....or both.
I agree on that.. I have the video and the manual and both were confusing. It took quite a while to figure out how to change the code then I disconnected the battery to hook up the battery tender quick disconnect and now I'm back where I started.:rolleyes: Then I had to look in the manual to see how to disarm after the battery has been disconnected.:mad:
You can just imagine what the profit is on it as much as it cost.

NCFatBoy, I got a little key looking thing the dealer said if the key fobs get lost and I don't remember the code they can set up new key fobs with it.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I still have'nt had any success with the "code" thing either:mad: Gave up after a few tries. Will try again someday!:D

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have that little thing on the keyring too, didn't know that was what it was for. I think it was in the manual where it says you have to replace it, maybe I read that somewhere else.
I thought it was a little confusing, the instructions, but was able to set it the first try.. Not exactly an intuitive (is that a damn RUB word?) user interface (or that?) I'll agree. I don't understand why it is needed either.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
First night I took it to my mc club - I didn't remember the two quick clicks, and stood there clicking that thing at the bike. While everybody cranked up and left me there still clicking. Does a really good job of keeping the new owner from starting his bike.

As far as entering the code thru the turnsignals, I think they must be kidding.. who could remember how to do that some dark night.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts