V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently purchased a 2006 FLHXTI Street Glide. I can't believe how nice this bike is, but I have a question. Does the Air guage in the fairing actually supposed to work? On those cold mornings in the 50's the stupid thing reads 70 or more. The dealer says they are all like that. What gives? Regards,Al

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
If it actually worked then harley wouldn't make cool things like a compass or oil temp gauge to replace it with.........no ones is real accurate, but from my experiance, black bike are the worst...my dads red bike reads about 10 deg cooler thank my black bike....just my .02

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
If you pull the outer fairing you'll see the temp sensor on the right. (Left side of the bike). It's a small white square. Pop it off it's mount, pull it down as far as it can go, and let it hang. It still won't be accurate, but closer. In the winter time my black bike says it's 80+ degrees in the sunshine! Other than that, pull it out, and put in the compass or oil temp gauge.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Before I replaced mine with a totally useless H-D electronic compass, then later with a good aftermarket oil temp gauge, the H-D air temp gauge always did an excellent job of telling me how hot it was inside the fairing, close to the back of the warm headlamp.... like that was always important information for me to concentrate on while riding.

:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

Like Geezer Glide said above, it 'might' be more accurate if you relocate the temp sensor so it actually reads outside air temp..... but one of the aftermarket $20.00 handlebar mounted gauges even does a better job of that.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Yes there pretty useless. Mine shows about 10-12 degress higher than what it is. I will probably put a oil pressure gage in there later on. Another flop for HD. I would like to meet whatever come up with the idea of putting in in there. It would not be to bad if there would just mount the sensor some where else.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I never understood the significance of an ambient air temperature guage for the motorcycle. I can see the need maybe for a car but in case Harley hasn't figured it out yet.... YOU'RE OUTSIDE! They might as well have just placed a rain indicator in there. Truely a waste of space. They should just fill that space with the oil temperature guage. It is much more useful.

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
I had my temp guage removed and replaced with a HD compass, so far my compass has been good other than at night it is hard to read with low red back lighting. As long as the Speedometer and Tach work I am happy. I never trust the fuel gauge as I ride 70 miles and its still on full and then look out the gauge starts dropping quickly. The oil and volt gauges seem to work ok. I am not much into gauges as I like to view my ride.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
The ambient air temp guage is a total waste. It serves no purpose and only registers the air temp under the fairing. You really have to wonder why the MOCO continues with it, it is such a waste. Why they don't provide a high quality oil temp guage is beyond me. Heck even the compass would be better than the ambient air temp. guage.

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
It's worthless.

Thats why I have no issue with my cup holder :thumbsup: down low blocking the gage!

Got the holder from kruzerproducts.com, which is (or was) a forum sponsor!http://www.kruzerproducts.com/
Allen

·
Registered
977 Posts
rmc_ss said:
It's worthless.

Thats why I have no issue with my cup holder :thumbsup: down low blocking the gage!

Got the holder from kruzerproducts.com, which is (or was) a forum sponsor!http://www.kruzerproducts.com/
Allen
I received the cup holder I ordered from kruzerproducts.com a few weeks ago.... a supurb product, and if comes in CHROME, lol !!! I guess they are still a sponsor here, I ordered it by checking on a link from the left side of the board.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Replace it with an oil temp gauge and move on. Air temp is all in the mind and fingers of the rider anyway.
BTW, My was always accurate, want to buy it?:roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

·
Registered
68 Posts
My Air Temp. Gauge is extremely accurate...until I start up the bike, which (and this seems to be a fact that escaped the rocket scientists at the MoCo) is OUTSIDE to begin with! If, by the time I turn the keyswitch, I can't tell (to within a few degrees) how warm/cold it is, without the assistance of such a precision instrument as we have in our fairings...someone please sneak up behind me and beat me to death with a ball-pien hammer! Either that or exile me to Boca Raton (aka God's little waiting room).

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
Geoff said:
The air temp gauge is useless.
Replaced it with Oil temp gauge. And that take about 30 minutes of riding to get a read out. Truth is, the whole thing is useless. Our RK doesn't have no stinkin' gauges, you just ride the bike and not worry about.

I keep an eye on the gauges only when I am in the clouds...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well, at some risk, I'll be somewhat of a contrarian. After a recent ride of over 5800 miles across country with temp. ranging from mid 90's down to 20's, I found I could actually determine the "outside" temp. within maybe 5 degrees. It does take some practice and interprelation between the dots, but it compared rather closely to bank temps. Of course with wind chill effects, the temp. wasn't of a whole lot of value, but did help pass the time going across Ok and Kansas. Too me, the temp. gauge is of at least as much value as a compass. I have the digital temp. dip stick which works well.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I might as well put in my 2 cents to round out the views. My first bike equipped with an ambient temp gauge was a '99 VFR800. The sensor was mounted on the inside of the front fairing fairly close to the wheel, and as long as the bike was moving it was accurate. It was useful in winter riding, especially as I rode into higher elevations, because I could tell when temps were nearing the freezing point and could adjust my riding accordingly. After getting used to having this gauge, I felt a bit deprived when my BMWs didn't come with one, so I added one from the Aerostich catalog. The advantage of one with a remote sensor over a handlebar mounted unit is sunlight has less of an effect on it. If the Harley unit is innaccurate, might be good to move the sensor further away from the motor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Air temp gauge

Go to Wally's Cycle World www.wallyscycleworld.com and get a oil temp gauge. I moved the voltage gauge where the air temp gauge was and put the oil temp gauge above my oil pressure gauge. Very easy to do. The oil temp gauge cost $90, it works great and matches the other gauges.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm from Washington state (the rainy side) and I love the air guage. When I'm riding and think I'm getting cold... I look down and see how nice and warm it is and get a great big smile.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts