V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one changed out the air temp gage on a electra glide for a oil temp gage and if so what brand and where did ya get it . and are they dependable and accurate...
thanks
kujo

·
Premium Member
225 Posts

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Another vote for the Wally's gauge...works great and looks stock;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
And add another vote for it. Only suggestion would be to change the bulb with the bulb from the Harley guage or it will be a different color than the rest of the gauges.

·
Just Above Idle
108 Posts
aztriker said:
And add another vote for it. Only suggestion would be to change the bulb with the bulb from the Harley guage or it will be a different color than the rest of the gauges.
az, is the bulb change simple? I'm thinkin about offing the useless Air Temp for the Oil Temp from Walleys...

I understand it takes some time to register on the guage??? Other than that is it accurate? Zen

·
Registered
378 Posts
zenwee said:
az, is the bulb change simple? I'm thinkin about offing the useless Air Temp for the Oil Temp from Walleys...

I understand it takes some time to register on the guage??? Other than that is it accurate? Zen
Yes, the bulb change is simple. The inserts that hold the bulb are not interchangeable, I don't think, just pop them out and change the bulbs from one to the other and put the insert back in. I think they turn a quarter or half a turn and pull right out of the housing.

Is it accurate? I can't say it's right on the degree but do know that here in Phoenix in the summer, I can go out into the 110 or 115 degree temp, turn the switch on and the gauge will come up to a little over 100, indicating to me that it's close while sitting in the heat. To me it's close enough and it at least gives you a baseline to work with.

As for taking some time to register, I think it registers as fast as the oil temp rises. It's electronic so it registers as quickly as what the sensor tells it. Oil doesn't go to 210 or 250 degrees in five minutes riding. It's a dry sump, as we know, so it keeps circulating the oil which keeps it cool. Oil gradually warms up as you ride. In the summer it goes up faster. In the winter it goes up slower. Same as with cars, before all the computer stuff. Some guy on here keeps bad mouthing this gauge because it is slow and inaccurate. I think he knows not what he speaks of. It's only logical when you think about it.

That's my thoughts on it.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
zenwee said:

HD puts a small yellow condom on the bulb...just pull it off and put it on the new one in the oil temp guage from Wally's.

It takes about 3 min in summer and 8 min in winter to register.

·
Registered
378 Posts
bedemonster said:
HD puts a small yellow condom on the bulb...just pull it off and put it on the new one in the oil temp guage from Wally's.

It takes about 3 min in summer and 8 min in winter to register.
If the yellow condom has been on the bulb for a while it will stick and will tear when trying to get it off. Since you already have the bulbs out, just interchange the bulbs. I tore one. Went to the dealer bought another with the condum on it, popped it into the socket from the oil temp gauge and put her back together.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Anyone know what the guages look like without the cover on the bulb?....Would it be brighter?

The reason I ask is my fairing is all apart for painting the inner. I was thinking of replacing the bulbs on all the gauges before I button it back up. As long as all the small gauges had the same look, I don't think it would bother me...and if it actually illuminates more, I think I'd like it.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I cant seem to find the gauge on that site. I have tried searching the site for gauges of any kind with no luck. Is it in one of the online catalogs? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Seahag said:
Anyone know what the guages look like without the cover on the bulb?....Would it be brighter?

The reason I ask is my fairing is all apart for painting the inner. I was thinking of replacing the bulbs on all the gauges before I button it back up. As long as all the small gauges had the same look, I don't think it would bother me...and if it actually illuminates more, I think I'd like it.
Without the cover the gauge looks whiter. Brighter, you might say.

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
carnochanm said:
I cant seem to find the gauge on that site. I have tried searching the site for gauges of any kind with no luck. Is it in one of the online catalogs? Thanks in advance for any help.

I found it but its not the best price here (good enough to show you a picture though) :

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...=216&productId=p406829&leafCatId=21605&mmyId=

Wally's had it on their online specials page for a very long time. You can still look it up there under the custom chrome part # 640388 for black face and
#640389 for the silver faced guages.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Mr.Clean said:
I just bought this one today.

HD 75265-04
MSRP 132.00
Zanotti 105.60 plus 13 to ship

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4309042514&bmUID=1139511322787&bmLocale=en_US

I've read some posts from people who bought the HD version and were very unhappy with the way it taps into the oil lines. I think they had some leaking problems. That and the fact the HD unit costs more steered me to the McEwan version.

You can't tell the difference anyway until you are so close you can read the micro-script at the bottom of the guage.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks

thank you every one for all the input ,, It looks like wally has my dollars for this one

Kujo

1 - 20 of 34 Posts