V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to make a steep purchase for the Fatboy. I'm interested in the legends air ride, progressive air ride or __________. Anyone have experience with these and what is your thoughts about them?

Yea or Nea?

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I run the Platinum Air kit on my Train and absolutely love it! I adjust the height I want to ride and then adjust the ride (firmness). Both shock units have 2 bladders. I bought my unit directly from Platinum Air because I had them custom my unit (black powdercoat). I have seen them for sale on ebay also.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tx_Outlaw said:
I run the Platinum Air kit on my Train and absolutely love it! I adjust the height I want to ride and then adjust the ride (firmness). Both shock units have 2 bladders. I bought my unit directly from Platinum Air because I had them custom my unit (black powdercoat). I have seen them for sale on ebay also.
Once the shocks are installed, is there wrenching involved for adjustment or is there a push of a button?

·
Slightly Abrasive
123 Posts
1300$ for the Platinum at J&P HERE
So, considering J&P's pricing (based on pricing of other item's) the Plat. Air can probably be had even cheaper elsewhere. I'm still bitter about the Airtail so not sure if I want drop the coin for another air-ride. There's also another system out there called the Hi-Low, but I haven't heard a single word mentioned about them. Maybe Jenni at Benji's or Zanotti's would be able to discount the Platinum's.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
The platinums are run by 2 switches. One for height and other for ride. My unit was $1100 direct thru the company. There was a write-up in a recent mag about them.
I have H-D lowering shocks on my Heritage and I'll never dp that again! The ride is terrible.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
If the Plat system loses air does it bottom out?

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
I have Legend Air on my Heritage, but at the time they were the only one making air for a Softail. I got mine when they were still in their learning curve but they gave me excellent customer service and got all the bugs worked out with out a problem. I have even gotten extra air line from them for free. (I used my spare to help a guy who routed his worng and burned the line on an Exhaust pipe leaving him stranded with no air.) I think they work great, they got rid of the wollow in hide speed corners and are easy to adjust for load. They do not allow adjusting the ride height. You set them to the pressure for a good ride and go, setting them for a lower position while rideing causes them to bottom out.
I would stay away for the Progressive air tail. Too much bad info on them, no personall experience just what I have read.
The Platinums look like a good option if you want to adjust the height. I have heard nothing but good about them, but have no personal experience with them either.
One other note on the Legand Air. I have tired, stock shocks, Progressive shocks, KT suspension torsion bar and the Legend give a far superior ride to any of those shocks.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
On a platinum, if all the air was lost, it would lower all the way down. It would still have a suspension as the ride comfort is adjusted firmer by adding air.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
MY buddies and I all use the PLATINUM setup. Its the best! Yes, if it loses air, you'll be riding a bit low, but there is a rubber swingarm stop a the top of the swingarm factory installed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you ride the Bleed/Feed system or just the regular system?

Is the Bleed/Feed a whole lot better than the regular on the PLatinum Suspension?

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I don't know the load capacity on the system.

I run the bleed/feed system. I don't know if it's all that much better of a system, but I can adjust it up/down and/or firmer/softer whenever I like with a flick of a switch.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
The bleed/feed is the ONLY way to go. My pals and I have 3 sets, they will give you complete ride heighth control AND complete ride quality control. They are expensive, but worth every penny. I've installed 2 of these and it's not all that difficult.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do you think this system is better (ride and adjustability wise) than a Legend L3 system?
I know it's way cheaper, but I'm wondering about usability?

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Where is the compressror located for the Plat system. Their website is lacking on any discription or installation instructions.

Thanks,

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Tx_Outlaw said:
It is mounted on the new splash panel above/behind the transmission.

Are you saying they provide a new splash panel? If so, does it work with the security module?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts