V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride an 05 Ultra and it seems to leak about 10 pounds of air a month. Is this a common problem? I borrowed a friends air pump to keep a log before returning to the HD Service Dept. We checked all the fittings, also checked the psi in a couple of friends bikes and they were also real low on air. Thanks for any info.
Jim [email protected]

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
i could be wrong, but just like tires, they do leak a little bit all the time. It is just that you are dealing with a lot less air in the first place. My 05 leaked out about 3-4 lbs in a winter month....I always check my tires and shocks every week or two. If your leak is 10 lbs in a month i would be testing it.....Check the air line that crosses over the rear fender as i have seen them rub through....Also next time you wash it soap up all the joints really good and look closely at the connections for a couple minutes. It may take a while for one little bubble to sprout.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Looks like it is time to dump the air shocks and get the Progressive 440's

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I will soap all the lines down tomorrow and see what's going on. Looks like it's time to let HD (try to) fix it under the warranty, I just hate the run around you get there. I don't guess all are like that but my local dealerships are lacking bigtime. Thanks for the advise. Jim http://thebackrowcrowd.com

·
Registered
182 Posts
As said before, the hoses might not be seated completely in the fittings. The best way I found is to simply remove the hose from every fitting and re-insert it into the fittings. To remoce you simply press the red part on the fitting towards the body of the fitting at the same time you pull the hose away from the fitting.
To re-install you just push the hose pack into the red part of the fitting.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
If you do take the lines out, cut off the last 3/16 of an inch with a new razor blade. This will just help seal up the system....

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
And when you do push them in, feel for a "bump" as they hit the bottom of the seat.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
ShakyJake said:
Looks like it is time to dump the air shocks and get the Progressive 440's
Mine leaked like yours do. So, I got the Progressive 440s. Very harsh (for me). Put air shocks back on. Add air once a month or so.

(if you want to try the 440s, I'll sell you some)

greg

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
gbenner,

PM me about the Progressive shocks. What size are they and are they standards or heavy duty?? I may be interested.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I don't know how much air I'm losing EXACTLY, but I know that once a month I put more air into the shocks. They aren't down to zero pressure or anything, but maybe down 5 to 10 lbs between the check intervals.

As TXCHOP said, it's like tires. You got to put air in them all the time. I think it's normal. I ride mine everyday, and expect some air loss. I guess if the shocks are losing air on their own with no pressure being put on them from riding, that would be a different story?

...I couldn't resist adding my -2$en#e- :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts