V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to change the pipes to the SE 16 gauge double barrel and will make the related air filter change and have the remapping done. However, when I asked my dealer about whether the kit for the Air Sensor Relocation would be needed, he said no, this was only applicable for the US bikes that had to comply with California emission rules and not for European bikes. Maybe I am a bit behind on this issue and perhaps a European V-ROD guy can help out, but how does the different emission rules apply to whether the Air Sensor needs to be moved?. I have heard that if you put on the new double barrel pipes on a bike already running very lean stock without updating sensor location, you run the chance of damaging you engine due to extremely lean mixtures.

I am a bit lost as to how that differs between the US and EU. Maybe Holli in Germany has some advice given the change that you have done of pipes to Supertrapp?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
40 Posts
SVROD

I would have thought that someone would have responded to this question by now. I doubt that your V-Rod really knows what it's location is, I would then assume that a drivablity issue would be the same no matter what. I guess there is an outside chance that the sensor has already been relocated on the exports but I doubt it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
16 Gauge Relo Kit

FIRST-- The kit is only $69.95 US.

SECOND-- I would ask the dealer to show you the bulletion that says the kit isn't needed in Europe.

THIRD-- Ask your delaer to show you a 2003 WITH THE ALUMINUM AIR BOX COVER OFF!! If the Air sensor is in the left front of the air cleraner unit, MY VOTE --PUT THE KIT ON!! If you don't do it your self, its abut an hour labor!!

Regards.

·
Registered
110 Posts
SVROD

The location of the air sensor on the 2002 is behind the front cylinder. (Look for a gray plug behind the water hose on the right side.) This is a very warm if not HOT location.

Here’s the theory. The sensor monitors warm air and leans the mixture out. With the sensor up in the air box (as on all 2003’s) the sensor monitors cool air and should make the mixture richer. How much no one knows?
I am sure that on a perfectly stock bike things will be fine. If you start modifying the mufflers for more sound and adding the SE air cleaner it becomes questionable.
I have modified my mufflers added the SE-1 ECM and air cleaner.

The engine is setup very lean from the factory. Mine get 46 to 50 MPG depending on how hard I push it. Weather you believe it or not, the Harley Engineers DO KNOW what they are doing.

The post before mine was authored by VROD. He was probably the first to pick-up on the 2003 relocation, bring it to everyone’s attention and relocate his. Since then I have relocated mine along with many others.

If you go to the OLD Bubs Forum, there are over 400 posts on exhausts, ECM upgrades and air sensor relocating. Most questions you could ask have been asked and answered.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I added the kit over the weekend. An easy job if you have a terminal crimping tool, I borrowed one from work. The kit includes a new airbox cover, sensor, piggyback harness, and a connector housing/terminals/terminal lock plug.
My bike is stock except I added the SE (K&N) air filter.
I ordered this kit because it's listed in a footnote in the 2003 catalog that it has to be ordered when adding SE pipes and tune. I didn't like the sound of the SE1 pipes (bought them on Ebay) when I did a trial fit and sound check with the stock tune so I decided not to add the pipes and tune.
I thought it was a good idea to change the sensor location and I had the kit on order, so I put it on.
My bike ran pretty good so I thought before the sensor change, it had some surging at low rpm in first or second gear and was tough to drive smoothly in the parking lot or when approaching a stop sign and would stall sometimes, not often though.
After the install all the surging went away and drivablility in all gears was much improved and the bike seems to pull harder in top gear.
I believe this kit should have been a recall because of the dramatic improvement it made and is standard on the 2003's.
Now the motor should last longer than the lean burn setup of the stock sensor as now it measures the temp inside the airbox instead of thinking it's 150 degrees out every day.
I am keeping my reciept and waiting for the recall to get my dough back.
If the kit is done at the dealer it shouldn't be more than an hour labor or your getting porked.
10,000 bikes X $100 total for kit and install and a recall on this works out to a million bucks for Harley to cover it. That's the only reason I can see for not calling it a recall.

·
Registered
110 Posts
mtalmer:

You’re right on target with your comments.
Everyone who has installed the air sensor relocation has been impressed with the results.

I have no opinion on the recall. I would hope Harley wants to keep this bike free of complaints and developing a BAD RAP. Their future could be at stake. If and when the tougher air standards kick in, air-cooled motors will become extinct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts