V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a ride and almost got nailed by an SUV turning in front of me. Guess she couldn't wait the 3 seconds for me to pass.

So... what's the best option for putting an air horn on an '02 Dyna? Suggestions for the best horn for the $, and/or the best way to mount it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
JRS said:
......So... what's the best option for putting an air horn on an '02 Dyna? Suggestions for the best horn for the $, and/or the best way to mount it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John
John, check out the Mini-Beast. I have one on each of my bikes, FXDL and FLHTCUI. Sounds like a semi....

Love 'em!!

o~\o

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Hey Tex,
Is that all there is to that air horn? Looks a lot better than the old dual horn set-up you usually see. Are there any air hoses to hook up or is absolutely everthing behind the horn cover?

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
fxdl raw said:
Hey Tex,
Is that all there is to that air horn? Looks a lot better than the old dual horn set-up you usually see. Are there any air hoses to hook up or is absolutely everthing behind the horn cover?
That's it, Raw. What you see is what you get. It hooks into you existing system and is very easy (20 minutes) to install. On my bagger I run the mini-Beast and the HD 'high output' horn inside the fairing. Can you say DAMN LOUD when I hit that button.:yikes:

It's an electric "air horn".....and it IS loud. AND you will NEVER deal with a better customer service bunch than that at Pro Pad. They are the best when I've had to deal with. I had a couple issues with their first horn released a little over 2 years ago. They replaced my horn, no questions ask. NONE better!

You might do a search for Beast here on the forum because this subject's been discussed a few times.

o~\o

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Most dB for $ .............

JRS said:
Just got back from a ride and almost got nailed by an SUV turning in front of me. Guess she couldn't wait the 3 seconds for me to pass.

So... what's the best option for putting an air horn on an '02 Dyna? Suggestions for the best horn for the $, and/or the best way to mount it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John
STEBEL

or more specifically, click on 'Products' then 'Electropneumatics' then 'Nautilus'

You can 'hear' the horn on the website; this was discussed thoroughly in another recent thread.

This is the same horn that H-D chromes and sells - 139 dB

Can be found on eBay for $35.95 with $9.95 shipping

Go get 'em :boxin:

·
Finally
839 Posts
I have seen the installation of the Stebel on the baggers but how about on the Dynas? There is no room left under my seat for the compressor. Horn could be mounted on plate in front of the fender? Anyone out there put one on there Dyna?:unsure:

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
What compressor?

Strick28 said:
I have seen the installation of the Stebel on the baggers but how about on the Dynas? There is no room left under my seat for the compressor. Horn could be mounted on plate in front of the fender? Anyone out there put one on there Dyna?:unsure:

Introducing our Brand New Ultra Compact 139dB Air Horn System This is still the Worlds Loudest 12 Volt Air Horn. Normal Big Rig Truck air horns put out 120 to 128dB loudness level and require big compressors and air storage tanks. The Train horns you see advertised for cars and trucks cost hundreds of dollars and require expensive compressors and air storage tanks, plus they need lots of room to install all that big equipment. Our Ultra Compact Extra Loud, 139 dB Ear Splitting Air Horns measure only 4 3/4" long x 4 3/4" tall x 3 1/2" wide and include everything you need to install them in one compact system. If you are tired of the tiny, "tinny" sound coming from your original equipment Beep Horn and want to make sure people are paying attention when you beep at them, then this is the horn for you. Compact size, Only 4 3/4" wide x 4 " high x 3 " deep, our horns fit easily on any 12 Volt Vehicle. Fits any MOTORCYCLE, CAR, TRUCK, VAN, SUV, ATV, MOTORHOME, RV or BOAT with easy installation to your existing horn mounting location. Use the one bolt mounting hardware included with the kit. Water and weather resistant. 1- Piece design is completely pre-wired and easy to install. No tubing to hook up, no separate compressors to install, its all included in this compact unit. Great sounding dual tone high/ Low sound just like the Big Rig Semi's. Rugged steel and high impact resistant plastic construction. Fits Great, Sounds Great, and Looks Great. Includes air compressor and twin tone air horns, all combined in one compact unit. Includes horn relay. Available in Black only. To hear a sound file for this horn go to www.stebel.it click on products, click on electropneumatics, then click on Nautilus

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
I've beem mulling this issue over for a year. Product reputation, service after the sale, reliability. ease of installation, classic appearance, ect. I ordered a set of BJ's horns today, the propad was also on the short list. Took a careful look at Stebels stuff also.

·
Finally
839 Posts
Well I just ordered 1 of the Compact Nautilus from CA Sport Touring for $38 shipped. I think I have it figured out for mounting on the Dyna. If it don't work I'll put it on my truck...:)

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Strick28 said:
Well I just ordered 1 of the Compact Nautilus from CA Sport Touring for $38 shipped. I think I have it figured out for mounting on the Dyna. If it don't work I'll put it on my truck...:)
And I ordered the Mini Beast for my FXDX, on Texan's recommendation.

Maybe we should compare notes once they're installed.

Thanks to all who gave input.

John

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
kayak99 said:
The place ToddM wrote of still has these Beasts on sale with free shipping. Might have to take the plunge!

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/d...acturer_ID=410&product_ID=18668&macl=PP-MB-AH

Are there any relay changes or mods necessary or does this just replace the factory horn?

You have to run a hot wire to the batt. and a grnd. This is for the relay. You also use the existing wires that run to the horn. The instructions with the horn are easy and a very quick install.

·
Registered
26 Posts
HD New Air Horn for Dyna

Hello, All! I just ordered the new air horn from HD. Pricey, I know, but what the heck. The stock horn on my 05 FXDCI just doesn't do the trick! The dealers here don't have the mounting kit in stock in stock right now, so I am stuck waiting... I'll give an update about the thing when I install it. I can't wait! I'm so tired of those close calls with half-asleep cagers in the mornings!
Best,
M

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
45leadslinger said:
hey strick28 and JRS let us know how the install goes? I have a 2003 surpeglide and would like to get one.
I installed the Mini Beast on my '02 FXDX. Very loud, no installation issues. The big rectangular chrome cover does alter the look of the bike (I'm thinking about removing it).

Under the cover, this horn is actually a Stebel Nautilus, so for the extra $ (vs. the Stebel) you get the chrome cover and mounting hardware. It also comes with the wiring harness and relay (I don't know if they're included with the Stebel).

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stebel Nautilus compact

I have a Wide-Glide and am looking at getting the mini-nautilus over the chromed beast to save some $$$$.... I read 8-ball's write-up for the install on his road-king and between that and the other posts the wiring seems pretty straight forward just not sure about mounting... Anyone with a wide-glide or other Dyna able to install and mount this under the seat area like 8-ball?

·
Finally
839 Posts
I bought the Mini Stebel and mounted the compressor in the space behind the battery box with a carriage type bolt. Then mounted the horn on the down tube up front. Air line from compressor to horn is along with wiring under tank. Used the stock wiring and horn button and added in the relay under the seat. Been using it when needed and no problems and it is loud.
Had a soccer mom on the phone the other day start drifting over in my lane and it sure got her attention...:yikes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts