V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When researching the topic of higher flow air filters, I see a lot of kits expose the air filter element. I had the HD Heavy Breather on my Street Bob which did that, and that design looked cool - but with my Road Glide, I am looking for the more traditional look, i.e., I don't want to run with an exposed air filter. Can I just buy a high flow air filter, use it with my stock air filter cover, and still gain the benefits of higher/freer air flow that comes with a Stage 1 application? Thanks! :coffee:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I wouldn't think so

I have a Dourety Machine air cleaner on my FXR that can be ran with or without the stock air cleaner cover. I really can't tell the difference in how the bike runs either way. I realize you have a later model fuel-injected bike, same principal though. I have a '10 FLHX that I just run a K&N filter in the stock breather and it works better than stock. I understand a stock air cleaner is fairly restrictive and I think there are 1 or 2 aftermarket backing plates as well as the screamin eagle that work with the stock outer cover.

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
When researching the topic of higher flow air filters, I see a lot of kits expose the air filter element. I had the HD Heavy Breather on my Street Bob which did that, and that design looked cool - but with my Road Glide, I am looking for the more traditional look, i.e., I don't want to run with an exposed air filter. Can I just buy a high flow air filter, use it with my stock air filter cover, and still gain the benefits of higher/freer air flow that comes with a Stage 1 application? Thanks! :coffee:

I have been running an Arlen Ness Big Sucker with stock cover since 2005. Works great. Just be sure the stock cover fits the brand you choose. I think Ness has 2 models. One fits the other doesn't.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Can I just buy a high flow air filter, use it with my stock air filter cover, and still gain the benefits of higher/freer air flow that comes with a Stage 1 application?
Maybe the stock backing plate/filter housing is part of the flow problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Harley Stage I upgrade filter and backing plate fits just fine under the stock air cleaner cover. Makes for a nice "sleeper" look if that's what you want.

·
WideGlide Rider
369 Posts
I put a k&n Filter in my stock air box. I felt better throttle response but then again, I feel like it runs better after a wash and wax =-P

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put a k&n Filter in my stock air box. I felt better throttle response but then again, I feel like it runs better after a wash and wax =-P
Good one!!! :):):)

Thanks all for your comments! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always thought that the filter had to be exposed to get the higher airflow into the engine, but I guess that's not totally correct, correct? From the comments above, it seems that there is enough air getting into the filter via the stock air filter cover???

·
Registered
108 Posts
I always thought that the filter had to be exposed to get the higher airflow into the engine, but I guess that's not totally correct, correct? From the comments above, it seems that there is enough air getting into the filter via the stock air filter cover???
Correct, the Screamin' Eagle backing plate is circular. It's a little larger than the air filter, so the whole area behind the stock filter cover is wide open and doesn't restrict the air flow enough to worry about if you are only going Stage I. I rode my FatBoy with Stage I and stock cover for two years until I put on my Heavy Breather.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Tracker - it's starting to make sense to me!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I put the stock football cover over the Arlen Ness Big Sucker I got for my Fatboy. I had to put a washer between the cover and the filter to get the cover to snug up. I bought that particular filter kit because it was made to take the stock cover. I wanted to have a free-flow air filter with the stock look.

I am a traditionalist, after all. {salute(

·
Registered
285 Posts
Greetings,
I'm running a SE high flow unit.
It works with or without the cover.
I picked up an automotive speaker grill, punched a hole in center for mounting bolt and installed it to on the filter to cover the exposed ugly side.

As for performance, don't see much difference, maybe a tad smoother uncovered at slow speed.
I have attributed this to heat generated by the cylinders and heads while in stop and go or slow traffic as it pulls hot air off them into the engine.
When moving faster with better, cooler air flow I don't see much if any difference.

Reactions: HarleyLance

·
Registered
259 Posts

Here is what I chose. Black, but is also comes in chrome and is in the Harley SE parts catalog.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts