V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
New to this board after checking it out for some time; really appreciate the input you guys give.:) Question: How long do you think the MoCo will be producing air-cooled bikes? Is the V-Rod the beginning of the end of the traditional Harley? Strange, but I read the reason they didn't make the 95 incher standard is because of EPA restrictions, yet they have a 103? :dunno:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Air cooled days numbered? Hardley!

I would bet they're going to be around for a while. BMW has a lot of air cooled bikes, and they just updated most of their air cooled models in the past few years.

Interesting, BMW refers to them as air/oil cooled. We'll probably see more oil coolers on bikes. I run oil coolers, it's cheap insurance.

What will happen, more than likely, is people will be more accepting of water cooled bikes. The V-Rod is a glimpse of the future, but it's not the entire future. I would expect a water cooled Harley to look more traditional, much more like the current models than the V-Rod.

I would buy a water cooled bagger. I know someone who's waiting for a water cooled bagger to buy his next bike. I became impatient and just bought an '06, which will probably be the last air cooled bike I'll buy (new, anyway).

Eddie

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

So far, Harley has been able to manufacture air-cooled bikes that meet air quality standards. Also, given BMW's ability to make their R1100, R1150, and R1200 bikes meet regulations, I think motorcycle companies will offer air(/oil) cooled bikes as long as there is a market.

Harley's 95 inch models all meet air quality requirements. I think that the reason 95 inch bikes are not standard is a marketing decision. Why loose sales ($$$) when folks are willing to pay for an upgrade. (I had a 95 inch Stage One put on my '05 FXDI when I purchased it.)

There are many fine water-cooled motorcycles already available in the market place. So I think Harley-Davidson was smart to slowly introduce their entry. I expect we'll see the V-rod motor offered in different style bikes in the next few years. e.g. When sales of water-cooled baggers greatly outnumber the current air-cooled style bikes, then you'll see HD drop their traditional line.

Air-cooled bikes will go away when there is no longer a demand. Most likely, your opinion of the vagary of the market, and the changing demographics of the riding population, are as good as anyone else.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
84FXRP said:
Welcome to the Forum.

So far, Harley has been able to manufacture air-cooled bikes that meet air quality standards. Also, given BMW's ability to make their R1100, R1150, and R1200 bikes meet regulations, I think motorcycle companies will offer air(/oil) cooled bikes as long as there is a market.

Harley's 95 inch models all meet air quality requirements. I think that the reason 95 inch bikes are not standard is a marketing decision. Why loose sales ($$$) when folks are willing to pay for an upgrade. (I had a 95 inch Stage One put on my '05 FXDI when I purchased it.)

There are many fine water-cooled motorcycles already available in the market place. So I think Harley-Davidson was smart to slowly introduce their entry. I expect we'll see the V-rod motor offered in different style bikes in the next few years. e.g. When sales of water-cooled baggers greatly outnumber the current air-cooled style bikes, then you'll see HD drop their traditional line.

Air-cooled bikes will go away when there is no longer a demand. Most likely, your opinion of the vagary of the market, and the changing demographics of the riding population, are as good as anyone else.
If I want a liquid-cooled touring bike, I'll just get another Gold Wing. I had one for a long time and they really aren't all that bad. They have a bulletproof engine and they are rather fast....close to 100 hp at the rear wheel from the factory. They'll be about $10,000 less expensive than a fully-equipped Harley liquid-cooled touring bike anyway. As we all know, Harley doesn't make bikes that are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Milwaukee executives have noted numerous times their air-cooled engines will meet upcoming EPA restrictions. They aren't going away as long as there is an interest in them, and I see no sign of this waning.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
sfarson said:
Milwaukee executives have noted numerous times their air-cooled engines will meet upcoming EPA restrictions. They aren't going away as long as there is an interest in them, and I see no sign of this waning.
Agree...dispite what the gloom and doom crowd will say, HD will make air cooled bikes as long as there is demand. HD has said repeatadly that the Twinkie will have no problems meeting the EPA requirements for the foreseeable future. On this forum and others, you will hear a lot of opinions contrary to this.

I agree that we could see oil coolers as standard at some point.

I do not believe the VRod engine is the only water cooled power plant we will see out of HD. They could adapt it to more of a touring motor with a cam/tuning/torque curve change...but who knows???

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
xnihilo said:
Greetings all,
New to this board after checking it out for some time; really appreciate the input you guys give.:) Question: How long do you think the MoCo will be producing air-cooled bikes? Is the V-Rod the beginning of the end of the traditional Harley? Strange, but I read the reason they didn't make the 95 incher standard is because of EPA restrictions, yet they have a 103? :dunno:
No reason the MOCO can't make a bigger air cooled engine. Yamaha has a 113 cubic inch (1854) air cooled motor. They also make a 102 cubic inch (1670 cc) air cooled motor in model called a Road Star. If they can do it so can the MOCO.

Here is the link. http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelhome/482/0/home.aspx

I don't care for the art deco look myself but it seems to be a lot of bike for the money. I don't think I'd ever get rid of my Harley for one but some folks might like it.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
yes its days are numbered

:dunno:Without question, the days of air cooled engines are numbered, but then the days of the internal combustion engine are also numbered. The real question is, what is the number? I'm bettin' both will be around longer than I will. . . .

Lefty

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
To me, the very essence of the Harley-Davidson motorcycle is the big-inch 45 degree air-cooled engine with a big, beefy bike to match. It's sort of akin to the old cowboy's horse, capable of long stretches of travel with a minimum of care and capable of handling a big load.

I have put my money where my mouth is on this topic. I spent 23K for the 2004 Ultra and, over the past 15 years, another $13K purchasing and restoring a 1982 Shovelhead. That's 36K if my addition is correct.

That said, I sure hope they keep to the traditional configuration. Even with liquid-cooling they could still have the 45 degree system and maintain the same sound and feel. If they go away from that, frankly I and a lot of other people will lose interest.

My 2 cents.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I would be curious about a liquid bagger. I want something fast out of the box.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
berserker said:
I would be curious about a liquid bagger. I want something fast out of the box.
Your local Honda dealer is waiting for your call:sofa:

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
BMW has a lot of air cooled bikes, and they just updated most of their air cooled models in the past few years.
Actually BMW doesn't have any air cooled bikes. The last ones were made in 1995. The newer opposed twin "oilheads" are truly oil-air cooled. In addition to an integrated, high capacity oil cooler they incorporate two seperate oil pumps and circuts. A low pressure, high volume one for cooling the pistons and exhaust valve area, and a high pressure, low volume one for lubrication. (This is a totally different design from their older aircooled twins with a traditional oil cooler.) Even with this sophisticated oil cooling system it only works for BMW in conjunction with the opposed twin cylinder layout. This design of course has both cylinders out in the cooling airstream.
rick

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by newultraclassic
That said, I sure hope they keep to the traditional configuration. Even with liquid-cooling they could still have the 45 degree system and maintain the same sound and feel. If they go away from that, frankly I and a lot of other people will lose interest.
I tend to agree. If radiators appear and the pushrod tubes go away on the whole line, the jig would be up for most Harley aficionados. Which is why it won't happen until, like 8-Ball said, the last baby boomer is laid to rest. At least that's what my crystal ball says.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, you guys are great! Thanks so much for your input. I'm looking at a new bike (Street Bob) which will be my first Harley. I've owned European bikes, mainly (Guzzis, BMWs, Triumphs) and now ride a Suzuki V-Strom. One of the main reasons I'm leaning towards the Harley is because of consistency. Gotta admire guys who ride 50 year old iron...and still looks and runs great! Another reason is, quite frankly, I'm getting tired of buying a new bike every two years always lookin' for something to hold me. With the new Bob, I'm finally feeling the call for a long-term relationship. :chopper:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.