V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I scribe this note to my brothers and sisters, it is snowing to beat heck outside. 1 inch in the last hour.......Guess I will work on the bike today.....

I purchased Rinehart mufflers for my Road King Classic (EFI), and I have no other engine mods.
I am wondering how most people increase airflow. Should I be looking at a Kuriyakin Supercharger, or just throwing in a K&N filter in the stock air cleaner housing?
What set-ups are out there that I can use without having to drive 2 hours to the closest dealership or having them charge me $10 for shipping.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
running a ness big sucker I got from ebay, great air cleaner but you will need ether a sert or a power commander. I dont know about the sert but the power commander has a map on its web site

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
The Big Sucker from Arlen Ness has a good reputation. The various Kuryakyn models get a mixed reception, people seem to put them on more for looks than for rocket science, but they are better than stock. Whatever you do you will have to re-map with a SERT, Power Commander etc. Your bike is already running a bit lean, more airflow will make it worse. Since I am overseas I went with the Screaming Eagle air filter set up, but will pick up a big sucker the next time I get home.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
others have more knowledge than myself on this topic but, I remember reading here that the big sucker works better if you plan on doing engine mods where you'll need more air flow to feed the larger engine. the SE backing plate and a K&N air filter seam to be the way many are going. I was luckey and got one of the remaining SE AC kits that came with a K&N air filter. I beleive the Ness big sucker comes with a K&N filter.

Good luck and ride safe, when the weather permits.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
I like this one from Dewey (it's sitting on an SE AC).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sloxl, be safe over there.
I appreciate everyone's response. As many of you can appreciate, the wife would like some yard work done as well this spring, so she has asked that I do not deplete the coffers of the castle on the exhaust. Well, since I am the king of this castle, I did it anyway.....then bought flowers. Now I am being more careful.
I am not planning on doing any engine mods except for the pipes & exhaust combo. Would you recommmend getting the Sert or Power Commander for just one use, or just taking the bike to the stealer for the re-mapping?

I have read in other posts that dyna tuning is the way to go, however I will have to go 120 miles minimum to find a place in Boise, and it will probably be the HD dealer anyway.
Sorry for the pestering, however this is the most expensive thing I own (other than the wife and castle), and to bugger it up would be slightly upsetting.

GPOO3Fatboy- they must not like me here because I can't open your JPG attatchment.

·
Even my cologne is chrome
87 Posts
After reading a bunch of the threads here during the winter, and considering the maps available on the PCIIIusb website, I ended up with the SE A/C. (Check out the EFI thread.)

From what I have seen in pictures and read here, the SE A/C now has the same oil blowby set up on the backing plate as the Ness.

I considered the Doherty PowerPac but given the fact that no maps were out there and I wanted to try my hand at that w/o the dyno, I passed it by.

('02 Fatboy EFI, PCIIIusb, Hard Krome 3.5" slip-ons, rest is stock.)

-MFB

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
michiganfatboy said:
After reading a bunch of the threads here during the winter, and considering the maps available on the PCIIIusb website, I ended up with the SE A/C. (Check out the EFI thread.)

From what I have seen in pictures and read here, the SE A/C now has the same oil blowby set up on the backing plate as the Ness.

I considered the Doherty PowerPac but given the fact that no maps were out there and I wanted to try my hand at that w/o the dyno, I passed it by.

('02 Fatboy EFI, PCIIIusb, Hard Krome 3.5" slip-ons, rest is stock.)

-MFB
I've got the early gen SE AC (similar to the current EVO package), which I modified (simple) to run the vented oil direct to a Doherty Powervent.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Treecop said:
Sloxl, be safe over there.

GPOO3Fatboy- they must not like me here because I can't open your JPG attatchment.

Sorry, never figured out how to put a pic directly into a post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As mentioned before, and as you can figure out, I am to cheap for $15 a month.

NEXT QUESTION...
Stage 1 or 2 on the air cleaner?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Treecop said:
As mentioned before, and as you can figure out, I am to cheap for $15 a month.

NEXT QUESTION...
Stage 1 or 2 on the air cleaner?
it's per year. but I'm a blue guy as well.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Don't worry, I keep my head down!
If you are sure you are not going to do any more engine work I would just go to the dealer and have them remap, the others are good for folks who plan on doing future changes. Dyno tuning is good if you have a SERT or PC type device, but on a fairly stock bike the dealers remap will be pretty close, slightly lean but close. They won't have an exact map for anything but Harley components but if they have a good mech he (or she) will be able to come close.
Save the $$ for more flowers.
Oh, don't worry about pestering we were all there once.

·
Banned
363 Posts
You can modify or remove the current backing plate.
Some people trim it way back. Can maybe find a pic. on the net somewhere.
Then buy the K & N filter. And get close without the bucks.

Definately RE MAP.. You will be way lean. If there is a GOOD indy dyno, I would try them.
Generally the dealer tune will be lean. But not so that will cause a prob, just less power..

Those 2 items basicly correct a lean condition from factory spec. EPA

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help folks. I will purchase on of the following, Big Sucker or the SE. I am not so cheap as to screw the bike up, but didn't want to spend the $200+ for the Kuriyakin Hypercharger. I also will just take it to the dealer for the re-mapping.
I can't justify the couple hundred bucks for the Power Commander at this time, and I am not planning on doing major engine mods at this time. I don't mind doing wrenching on my dirt bikes and the $568 Yamaha street bike, but don't want to do something stupid to the Harley.
I appreciate the input and will continue checking back so if you want to tell me your set-up, I'd be glad for the advice and ideas.
My best friend just got back from his 2nd tour in iraq and picked up his 06 Road King Classic (EFI) and is already thinking I am an expert because I have had one for a year. I think I will direct him here where the advice comes from more experience.
Thanks again.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts