V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has decided to upgrade from her Honda VLX and is looking for a bike that will fit her 5' 2" size. We have started our search and know a few definites like no wire spokes, no chain drive and low seat height. She did a demo ride on a 1200 Custom and has sat on a couple 883s. The worst thing she found was that with legs that had to go forward, her knee was forced against the air cleaner which was quite uncomfortable real quick. Since the Sporty is so popular with less than tall people we figure someone would know a cure. Any chance there is an air cleaner of another shape that reduces this contact point? We like to add a few long trips a year so this would be a bigger problem than if her rides were just in and around town.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not too sure if there are any AC's that are much smaller. When you mention her legs being forward, are you referring to the forward controls? Maybe some highway pegs (adjustable) are in order, or better yet, retain the mid (stock) controls. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Take a look at the "Forcewinder" type air cleaner. It has a 90 degree aluminum elbow going forward off the carb. Then on the end of it is attached a tapered K & N air filter with an optional waterproofing sock to put over the top of it if you so desire.

I too have a Sporty that I really like the slim lines of but dont like banging my bad knee on the air cleaner...this little set up looks like just the right ticket. You'll get increased breathing/performance to boot...not bad huh?

Cheapest I've found them is at www.gopartsdirect.com

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, we meant forward controls, the reason for the legs in that direction. Thanks for responses we will start checking those out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just installed SE air box on mine, no more problems with my knee hitting it as thinner than original. Good performance, cheap (58,86$ at Zanotti) but ordinary look.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have to agree with olivier on this one. I installed the SE air cleaner setup on my '00 XL Custom and the thinner setup got that thing out of my knee. Much more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Fits ’88-later XL models.

This came directly from the HD website. This can be obtained from ANY local shop/indy usually. Most of them stock a few of these and I have seen some on eBay (one today actually) for about $50 or so.

Sportster® High-Flow Air Cleaner Kit
29041-88B

MSRP US $79.95

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I found it in the book, having numbers helps. So it looks like the filter element is thinner so that is what brings the cover in closer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts