V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2003 RK Police and I'm wondering what to do with the extra red buttons on the handlebar. Thinking maybe a rocket launcher and and an oil slick. Seriously, any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey 2003FLHPI,
Part of my winter rewire project is trying to figure out how I can have that right side pursuit switch (that lights up the "P" light in the tach) wig wag my spots. In other words, the toggle switch on the backside of the headlight shroud will turn the spots on and off, and while they're on, the pursuit switch will wig wag them if I choose. It's gonna be tricky to wire it up that way, methinks. Gonna involve several relays and diodes. The wig wag flasher relay is still there, under the left side cover. If I figure it out, I'll post a diagram.

As for the left side siren switch, I dunno yet. I was thinking to use it to turn my lights on and off, but I think I'll replace the (rusty) microphone jack with another toggle switch, and use that to turn my lights on and off.

T. Mealer
Flowerfield, IL

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
2003FLHPI said:
So I bought a 2003 RK Police and I'm wondering what to do with the extra red buttons on the handlebar. Thinking maybe a rocket launcher and and an oil slick. Seriously, any suggestions out there?
Garage door opener?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Bikertrash99 said:
Hey 2003FLHPI,
Part of my winter rewire project is trying to figure out how I can have that right side pursuit switch (that lights up the "P" light in the tach) wig wag my spots. In other words, the toggle switch on the backside of the headlight shroud will turn the spots on and off, and while they're on, the pursuit switch will wig wag them if I choose. It's gonna be tricky to wire it up that way, methinks. Gonna involve several relays and diodes. The wig wag flasher relay is still there, under the left side cover. If I figure it out, I'll post a diagram.

As for the left side siren switch, I dunno yet. I was thinking to use it to turn my lights on and off, but I think I'll replace the (rusty) microphone jack with another toggle switch, and use that to turn my lights on and off.

T. Mealer
Flowerfield, IL
wig wag spots is illegal for civilian use. that would have one go off as the other went on. It is only legal on a headlight that goes from high beam to low beam, the light is always on. Save yourself a possable charge of impersonating a police officer.
Those switches can be used, but be careful and watch your load. remember, that you can have 2 auxilary lights on with the low beam, so if you want to have fogs, make sure that the spots are off.

Many LEOs have motorcycles and will overlook things like a too bright head light and/or spots, but their are certain things reserved for E-vehicles. Get a copy of your state's regs as well as D.O.T. regs, it could save you some grief(and a possable confiscation)

A toggle switch of the right rating is a great idea for the headlights, it is illegal in most states, make sure that it is lit when the lights are off so that you know to turn them on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
route66paul said:
wig wag spots is illegal for civilian use. that would have one go off as the other went on. It is only legal on a headlight that goes from high beam to low beam, the light is always on....
Alright, point taken. I'll keep that in mind. Would therefore flashing them both on and off at the same time be similarly illegal?

route66paul said:
A toggle switch of the right rating is a great idea for the headlights, it is illegal in most states, make sure that it is lit when the lights are off so that you know to turn them on.
I agree that most states require headlights to be on when the bike is operated on public highways. But, there's something in me that just can't stand the fact I can't turn them damn lights off. For example, if I'm doing some maintenance on the bike, riding thru Nebraska, or sneaking in the driveway late at night, I would want the ability to shut the lights down.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Bikertrash99 said:
Alright, point taken. I'll keep that in mind. Would therefore flashing them both on and off at the same time be similarly illegal?

Yes, it is illegal. that would be flashing lights.

I agree that most states require headlights to be on when the bike is operated on public highways. But, there's something in me that just can't stand the fact I can't turn them damn lights off. For example, if I'm doing some maintenance on the bike, riding thru Nebraska, or sneaking in the driveway late at night, I would want the ability to shut the lights down.
I don't blame you, just make sure that you have a way to see if they are off while riding in daylight. The current draw is pretty high when trying to start the bike, so it is a good idea. My police bike came with it and there was a small red led in the headlight cover that would come on when the lights were out.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
If you want to eliminate the red, a local LEO used Testor's flat black model paint and did a nice job (even retained the white lettering/emblems) on his personal bike, an'02 RK police model.

Alternatively, you can replace all your handlebar controls with Custom Chrome stuff for ~$150 from Eastern Performance Cycles (switch housings, levers, clutch perch and master cylinder) and the horn/hi-lo switch with the HD part for ~$26. I took that route with my '04 FLHTPI and it was an easy wiring project if you have the wiring diagram, helpful since you will need to bypass the clutch interlock switch in the stock switch housing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sorry to be hijacking your thread, 2003FLHPI, but I'm getting some good info here...
Before I ask route66paul my questions, I want to say I like YankeeBob's suggestion of using one of the red switches for a garage door opener. The HD opener uses the high/low beam switch, it should be a simple matter to use the siren or pursuit switch for that.
A buddy of mine with a 2000 Police bagger uses the 2-stage pursuit switch to control all the fancy schmancy led accent lighting that he has all over his chrome everywhere engine.
Also, if I decide to use one of the red switches to turn my lights off and on, I would for sure hook it up via a relay, so as not to cook the switch or wiring. Plenty of room for relays under the headlight shroud or fairing.

route66paul said:
I don't blame you, just make sure that you have a way to see if they are off while riding in daylight. The current draw is pretty high when trying to start the bike, so it is a good idea. My police bike came with it and there was a small red led in the headlight cover that would come on when the lights were out.
1-) So, route66paul, assuming that you have a Road King Police bike, where exactly is this red led that tells you the headlight is off? I have 2 knockout plugs on my handlebar clamp shroud (just below the tach) on my 2005 RK Police. I had intended pull the plugs and put indicator lights there to tell me that the lights were ON. I kinda like the idea of using indicator lights to show that the lights were OFF. Is your red led indicator light a stock part? Do you think I can find a hd p/n if I dig deep into the police model parts catalog? (gotta order me one of those parts books soon)
2-) It seems logical to me that if there is an indicator to show that the headlight is off, there must be a switch to control that. Where is this switch on your bike?
3-) I have read somewhere (here, elsewhere, I dunno, I can't find it now) that on some police models, there is a switch that shuts off the headlight when the bike is at idle. There's a funny lookin' connector with 2 male spade terminals on my idle cable, just in front of the gas tank that I think controls this. I can't detect any activity with an ohmmeter hooked up between the terminals when I give it gas. Have you heard of this? On my wiring diagrams, I don't see this switch for the FLHP, but I see a 'throttle roll off switch' on the FLHTP diagrams. This switch wires run to the cruise control module (on a Police bike???).
4-) Since you seem to have good knowledge of what kinda flashing lights are legal or not, do you think it would be within the law to hook up a headlight modulator to the spotlights?
Thanx for your time in reading and answering all this.

T. Mealer
Flowerfield, IL

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Bikertrash99 said:
Sorry to be hijacking your thread, 2003FLHPI, but I'm getting some good info here...
Before I ask route66paul my questions, I want to say I like YankeeBob's suggestion of using one of the red switches for a garage door opener. The HD opener uses the high/low beam switch, it should be a simple matter to use the siren or pursuit switch for that.
A buddy of mine with a 2000 Police bagger uses the 2-stage pursuit switch to control all the fancy schmancy led accent lighting that he has all over his chrome everywhere engine.
Also, if I decide to use one of the red switches to turn my lights off and on, I would for sure hook it up via a relay, so as not to cook the switch or wiring. Plenty of room for relays under the headlight shroud or fairing.

1-) So, route66paul, assuming that you have a Road King Police bike, where exactly is this red led that tells you the headlight is off? I have 2 knockout plugs on my handlebar clamp shroud (just below the tach) on my 2005 RK Police. I had intended pull the plugs and put indicator lights there to tell me that the lights were ON. I kinda like the idea of using indicator lights to show that the lights were OFF. Is your red led indicator light a stock part? Do you think I can find a hd p/n if I dig deep into the police model parts catalog? (gotta order me one of those parts books soon)
The red light was a little 2mm led that was drilled and fitted about a in away from the microphone switch. I have only seen that light on city of Orlando bikes, where i bought mine.
2-) It seems logical to me that if there is an indicator to show that the headlight is off, there must be a switch to control that. Where is this switch on your bike?
The switch to control that was a HP part that wentright inside of the throttle housing on the handlebar. the setup is for police bikes only and only in states that allow it.
3-) I have read somewhere (here, elsewhere, I dunno, I can't find it now) that on some police models, there is a switch that shuts off the headlight when the bike is at idle. There's a funny lookin' connector with 2 male spade terminals on my idle cable, just in front of the gas tank that I think controls this. I can't detect any activity with an ohmmeter hooked up between the terminals when I give it gas. Have you heard of this? On my wiring diagrams, I don't see this switch for the FLHP, but I see a 'throttle roll off switch' on the FLHTP diagrams. This switch wires run to the cruise control module (on a Police bike???).
I think that that "throttle roll off switch" is common to all cruise control units and should have nothing to do with the headlight, but I don't know for sure.
4-) Since you seem to have good knowledge of what kinda flashing lights are legal or not, do you think it would be within the law to hook up a headlight modulator to the spotlights?
No, it would not. A light has to be always on or off - it can't flash. A headlight switches from high beam to low beam, the light is always on, since it is one light. Since the spots are only one beam, you would have to turn them off and on. If you can find some spots that have a high/low beam, I would be very interested in getting some hooked up.It is not legal for your car to turn off and on the headlights either, only high/low. The law also has a range of how many high/lows in a minute. The headlight modulator for civilian use must have a light sensor, so that it doesn't modulate after dark or in a tunnel. The modulations can trigger a form of epilepsy and are very distracting to the driver as well at night.

I went through all of these questions with the highway patrol officer that comes by my indie's shop. He showed me the book. He was the one that told me that most LEOs would not even question the brightness of your lights as long as they were adjusted correctly.
Thanx for your time in reading and answering all this.

T. Mealer
Flowerfield, IL
P.S. If you want to use the switches that you have and bring them back to civ use, you will have to replace the siren on/off switch for a horn button switch. I went to taller bars and put the wiring inside the bars, the switches took the chrome caps and the chrome housing with the new horn button. I just put a jumper wire on the clutch overlock and went back to standard. I was told that the cruise was not on the 04 bikes, and that I would have to buy a harness, but the harness is there, but no cruise control module. The problem with ex-service bikes is that the removal of police parts sometimes are done haphazardly and differently by each mechanic, there is no standard. Many use the pursuit wiring for the spots, that way the "P" lights up when they are on. My bike had a lot of just cut off wires, some still hot. We had a lot of fun trying to chase everything down, even with a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
179 Posts
route66paul said:
P.S......I just put a jumper wire on the clutch overlock and went back to standard....
I hated the clutch interlock 'feature' when I first got the bike in August. I ranted and raved, "I'm a gonna get rid of that ASAP, blah blah". Now, I've changed my tune a bit. I like it, it keeps me from f**king up. :duh?:

T. Mealer
Flowerfield, IL

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've thought about mounting an airhorn but also leaving the stock horn in place somehow and using the horn/momentary siren switch to control it. Push the toggle with your left thumb and the stock horn blows. Pull it and the airhorn blows.

The pursuit light switch on the right side controls my spotlights.

I did paint the switches black. Looks pretty good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No prob route66paul, but let me steal it back for moment. Does anyone have a copy of the supplemental manual for a 2003 RK police? I can't find one anywhere and don't want to give $ to the stealership. Some good ideas on the extra buttons, thanks.

Oh and YankeeBob, I love Beantown, been there many times, but the Sox still suck!!!
Sorry ex NY-er here. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts