V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one of the aftermarket tour paks? I am looking at the one from Mutazu, they sell on ebay as Cycle Concepts I think. Anyhow, they are less than $150 delivered and look to be good quality. I read a review in a magazine some time back that said they were very nice. The reviewer was very impressed and gave them a strong recommendation but... Product reviews in magazines that also advertise the product reviewed are always a little suspect to me.

here's a link: http://mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=1&menu=DMY Trunk Series&s=prod.php
So, anyone tried one? What do you think?.

I have had a king tour pak on my bike for years but when I traded my bike in, I included the tour pak in the deal. The OL is upset about no tour pak on the new bike and I am not ready to lay out the $1100 or more it takes for the tour pak and all stuf you need to get it completely set up.
I am thinking noe of these inexpensive tour paks and the hd removable tour pak rack from HD, then maybe I could wean her off the tour pak....

So, what do ya'll think?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I bought one, put it on the bike and drove from Tulsa to Houston. It was ok for the money, but 2 weeks later I ended up buying the HD one instead. I know it is a lot more money, but the quality is like night and day.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Harley Tour-pak is bigger and better made and it will cost you at least a grand more. You will have to buy an expensive docking system if you want to put it on and take it off. The after-market unit is actually pretty good quality for the money and it will cost you a little while with a drill, some head scratching, and $1.79 from the hardware store to install it. I love mine. If you have an extra grand to spend, go with the HD. Otherwise, I think you will like the aftermarket trunk. Be sure to check on E-bay, as they often sell the trunks for way less than retail.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
baggering

Please explain the advantages of this pla$tic with difficult mounting, chipping, & failing latches.

Maybe it is because I grew up walking in the woods & mountains, but I don't understand why you guys prefer hard luggage. Gander Mountain, Cabellas, surplus stores...& motorcycle aftermarket scams offer an unlimited selection of very durable, crash resistant & waterproof packs, pouches, bags & stashes that strap easily to sissy bars, racks, tanks, forks & handlbars. Sizes? Colors? Price? Quality? No problem.

100' of 1/4" nylon rope for $2.98 can replace hardware for a custom fit without rusting or scratching. Cut it, discard it, replace it, there's always more. Know the knots & in a moment these sacks are moving into a hotel room or tent & my Harley is beatifully naked.

Best of all it does not immitate the classic garbage wagon. It is a truely custom, old school bagger.

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
adlerx said:
Anyone have one of the aftermarket tour paks? I am looking at the one from Mutazu, they sell on ebay as Cycle Concepts I think. Anyhow, they are less than $150 delivered and look to be good quality. I read a review in a magazine some time back that said they were very nice. The reviewer was very impressed and gave them a strong recommendation but... Product reviews in magazines that also advertise the product reviewed are always a little suspect to me.

here's a link: http://mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=1&menu=DMY Trunk Series&s=prod.php
So, anyone tried one? What do you think?.

I have had a king tour pak on my bike for years but when I traded my bike in, I included the tour pak in the deal. The OL is upset about no tour pak on the new bike and I am not ready to lay out the $1100 or more it takes for the tour pak and all stuf you need to get it completely set up.
I am thinking noe of these inexpensive tour paks and the hd removable tour pak rack from HD, then maybe I could wean her off the tour pak....

So, what do ya'll think?

:hmmm: Is your OL planning to lean on this while you are rollin down the highway?

·
Registered
479 Posts
hollowpoint said:
Please explain the advantages of this pla$tic with difficult mounting, chipping, & failing latches.
$$ and convenience. Not styling or old school bag-and-a-rope. I have a Seal Bag which is waterproof and easy to strap to my bike. It's just not convenient.

You can buy 8 or 9 of these for the price of one tour pack. Harley doesn't make a tour pack for Dynas. I could buy a $105 pack for my Dyna or $20K for a bagger w/tour pack. Hmmm. Which would you choose if you weren't rich?

Did I mention $$?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I scored a vivid black chopped tour pack with back rest and detachable rack for $450.00 so it didn't cost a fortune.

I ended up selling the plastic one for $75 so the HD tour pak ended up costing me about $485.00 all total and I am much happier.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
black05flhrci said:
:hmmm: Is your OL planning to lean on this while you are rollin down the highway?
They claim to have beefed up that area.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Givi

GIVI make a nice set of detachable bags that can be installed as saddle bags or tour packs. I put the largest on on the back of my police glide (police come without tour packs) for the POSSE ride. I used the give mounting plate on a Harley detachable luggage frame. It was fantastic. One push of the button and you were ready to carry the pack into the motel for the night. Best thing I've done for touring with a lot of stuff.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
myzen said:
I scored a vivid black chopped tour pack with back rest and detachable rack for $450.00 so it didn't cost a fortune.

I laugh at this one. Its detachable, so why buy a chopped one? Its detachable. If you don't need the space, you leace it at home. when you need the space you got it. Your in denial. Its bagger, having a chopped tour pak, makes it no less a geezer glide. No chick looks and say wow look at that choppped tour pak.

I laugh harder when I see the ones in the catlog, the smaller ones cost more:hystria:

I got Ultra and King. The King tourpak has been on since 2005, hasn't been off for more the 5 days. Just to useful, if you use your bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts