V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here know if a non harley motor can be mounted in a 07 streetglide? I heard there was some kind of 5 year time before patent expired or something like that?? Looking for a complete new motor... :USA:

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah. Bro,, looking for a bigger powerplant. V TWIN. Maybe a Jim's, or cheaper route rev tec. Too much money to put into Harley motors with the weak flywheels.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I'd have no problem dropping in a new Harley 120R. IMO, it's no longer a Harley motocycle without a Harley engine.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'd have no problem dropping in a new Harley 120R. IMO, it's no longer a Harley motocycle without a Harley engine.
That's pretty funny...... there are many options out there for a motor upgrade, some Harley, some not.... I have done performance upgrades on many Harleys over the last 40 years or so, and I have to say most of my most successful projects have been done with non Harley components..... primarily S&S and R&R.... there are others that are probably as good, I just don't have much experiance with them.... The HD 120R motor is a pretty good buy being available well under $5K if you shop around, but like most HD motors, it is pretty anemic for it's displacement compared to what S&S can do for you...I'm currently running an S&S 106 in my RK that will spank the 120R in equal weight bikes like the 120 was dragging an anchor, but I do have more than $5K in my build....

So, it's your bike, it's your money.... you just have to decide what will make you happy..... it doesn't have to say Harley on it to make you a biker.....

If the depth of my checkbook wasn't a consideration, I would have one of R&R's billet 155's in the king by Spring..... hmmmmmmm??? Long Winter here in Maine????:whistle:

By hoofmender at 2011-04-13

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
That's pretty funny...... there are many options out there for a motor upgrade, some Harley, some not.... I have done performance upgrades on many Harleys over the last 40 years or so, and I have to say most of my most successful projects have been done with non Harley components..... primarily S&S and R&R.... there are others that are probably as good, I just don't have much experiance with them.... The HD 120R motor is a pretty good buy being available well under $5K if you shop around, but like most HD motors, it is pretty anemic for it's displacement compared to what S&S can do for you...I'm currently running an S&S 106 in my RK that will spank the 120R in equal weight bikes like the 120 was dragging an anchor, but I do have more than $5K in my build....

So, it's your bike, it's your money.... you just have to decide what will make you happy..... it doesn't have to say Harley on it to make you a biker.....

If the depth of my checkbook wasn't a consideration, I would have one of R&R's billet 155's in the king by Spring..... hmmmmmmm??? Long Winter here in Maine????:whistle:

By hoofmender at 2011-04-13
I'm not saying there aren't better options than a Harley motor. Just saying the motor is the heart and sole of the motorcycle. Like Vin said, once you change the engine it's just another kit bike.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm not saying there aren't better options than a Harley motor. Just saying the motor is the heart and sole of the motorcycle. Like Vin said, once you change the engine it's just another kit bike.
Are you serious? Your "Harley" brand new off the showroom floor is a "kit bike".... you can't believe what HD outsources... by the way ... your "HD" 120r that you would so willing drop in is made by JIMS...........:whistle:

By hoofmender at 2011-04-12

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Jim's does make a 120, but the 120R is made by Harley.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Are you serious? Your "Harley" brand new off the showroom floor is a "kit bike".... you can't believe what HD outsources... by the way ... your "HD" 120r that you would so willing drop in is made by JIMS...........:whistle:
Name me one US auto maker that doesn't outsource. What does that have to do with the price of beans? As for the 120R, site your source for this info because that is news to me.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Miles to Go: No disrespect intended but you don't have a Harley Motor in either of your bikes as listed????? :

Current bikes in the stable:
2009 Street Glide
- 107ci, stage III heads, D&D Fatcat exhaust, Andrews 54 cam, 108hp 122tq
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq

BTW, nice #'s on the 107... my 106 is making less TQ ,(118#), with S&S power dual head pipes with D&D cans.... I know a Fatcat would help that out but I love the sound of the duals and she goes fast enough enough to hurt me plenty....

I, too, have the 510 gear drives in my 95 build on the Crack Whore.... she makes similar numbers, (94HP, 103TQ), again with dual exhaust, (Bubs)....

By hoofmender at 2009-02-22

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Miles to Go: No disrespect intended but you don't have a Harley Motor in either of your bikes as listed????? :

Current bikes in the stable:
2009 Street Glide
- 107ci, stage III heads, D&D Fatcat exhaust, Andrews 54 cam, 108hp 122tq
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq

BTW, nice #'s on the 107... my 106 is making less TQ ,(118#), with S&S power dual head pipes with D&D cans.... I know a Fatcat would help that out but I love the sound of the duals and she goes fast enough enough to hurt me plenty....

I, too, have the 510 gear drives in my 95 build on the Crack Whore.... she makes similar numbers, (94HP, 103TQ), again with dual exhaust, (Bubs)....
I never said the motor had to be completely stock. They both have Harley cases, cylinders, and heads. And other than the compression releases on the 107, they look stock.

To each their own. I still think Harley makes as good an engine as any out there. Granted, you have to get rid of all the EPA crap, but overall it's a good reliable design. And, they can make big power - all you need is the $$$$ to make it happen.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I never said the motor had to be completely stock. They both have Harley cases, cylinders, and heads. And other than the compression releases on the 107, they look stock.

To each their own. I still think Harley makes as good an engine as any out there. Granted, you have to get rid of all the EPA crap, but overall it's a good reliable design. And, they can make big power - all you need is the $$$$ to make it happen.
Saying your stage 3 heads are still "Harley heads" is as funny as a guy sucking from an oxygen bottle saying he is still breathing with his own lungs....:hystria:

HD lost me on "as good as anyone" when they allowed a 10 thousands crank runout to be "within tolerances" .... both my current motors technically still have Harley cases and heads, but after R&R did their magic on the heads the boys in Milwaukee would never recognize them..... and you can't build a 100+ torque motor on a stock Harley crank anymore.... Hell the stock crank that came in my '09 had 7 thousands runout!!! S&S to the rescue... it's all fun though........

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe a harley is a harley as long as the title says harley :beer: If you want to put in an aftermarket motor go for it. I'd personally keep the orginal motor that came with the bike so if a new owner wants to put it back orginal they can.

·
Registered
73 Posts
IF we change handlebars, cables, grips, wheels, seats, exhaust, fuel controller, stereo, and speakers is it still a Harley?

JUST ASKING? :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
IF we change handlebars, cables, grips, wheels, seats, exhaust, fuel controller, stereo, and speakers is it still a Harley?

JUST ASKING? :)
EXACTLY!!!!!

My '09 RoadKing had 6 miles on it when I changed the intake, exhaust, added a PCV, changed the seat, handlebars, grips, windshield, floorboard location, front and rear suspension height, mirrors, rear lights and plate location, saddlebags, added a tach, and I'm sure a dozen other things I'm forgetting...... my Title, registration, and insurance didn't change... all still said HARLEY...

Rode it 6000 miles and then changed the gearing, clutch, eliminated the comp sprocket, built the 106, (crank, bearings,jugs, pistons, rods,heads, roller rockers, cams, etc), painted it, (eliminated all the Harley badging... oops!),, added a V&H Throttlepack to eliminate the built it FBW lag,switched to Metzler tires, and a host of other things.... and all my paperwork STILL says Harley on it....

Is it the same bike I bought from the dealer? Hell no... it's a 1000 times better.... it's still a Harley and it's still mine.... my point to the original poster is simple, its your bike and you shouldn't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks about what you want to do to YOUR bike......

·
Registered
73 Posts
its your bike and you shouldn't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks about what you want to do to YOUR bike......

I rode a Honda Valkyrie for a couple of years (great bike) one guy ragged me all the time. The final statement that I ever listened to from his stupid mouth was "I ride a Harley you ride a Honda so that makes me a BIKER and you a MOTORCYCLE ENTHUSIAST!" He wore his biker vest and colors all the time and drove his jeep I wore whatever I wanted to and rode my scoot. I rode 30,000 more miles than him that year. WHAT AN IDIOT!
Point being does it really matter what anyone else says contrary to what you want to do? I always thought a biker rode a bike and a jeeper drove a jeep. And a Harley is a Harley no matter who says its not! Right?

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Wow Streetgliderr, look what you started!

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man, I love all the comments... The bike will stay a HARLEY No matter what I do with the motor. Simple fact. I am just looking for a little more power without having to spend a couple grand on just getting the flywheel corrected for instance. I love Harley's and always will. Although some crap is from Mexico on these bikes. That's what I don't like, outsourcing while we need the jobs here. I wonder how reliable a rev tec is? ???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts