V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Believe it or not, the forum search function returned no matches for "GPS". :(

Any recommendations for an aftermarket GPS for my Road King? The "official" H-D one by garmin is ridiculously priced because it has the Magic Letters on it.

Tom

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,762 Posts
Depends on your desired features. My Nuvi 205W is $165 on Amazon. It's one of the more basic models. It does everything I need and works great. It it's raining, just slip a baggie over it.

joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The baggie thing is a bit agricultural, but would work. :)

However, I was looking for a waterproof model to begin with so as not to have to carry kitchen pantry stuff.

Tom

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Being waterproof is the primary reason that they are so expensive. That and being bright enough to be seen in direct sunlight. I too have a nuvi something, bought a ram mount, cost me about $100, if it gets wet, I buy another one and I'm still way ahead.

·
Iron Butt
1,124 Posts
Garmin Zumo(non HD model)550 is what i have and love it....price has come down somewhat since they came out with the 660 and 665....its waterproof plus many other features

What features are you looking for?

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Garmin Zumo(non HD model)550 is what i have and love it....price has come down somewhat since they came out with the 660 and 665....its waterproof plus many other features

What features are you looking for?
I had until recently a waterproof Garmin Nuvi 550. It worked fine with the non traffic cord, but with the GTM 35 traffic cord, the screen would periodically freeze up when I was on the freeway in heavy traffic. I first bought it in January. I had them replace it four times before fully acknowledging to me that they had a software problem when used with the power cord and they didn't know what was interfering with the Nuvi 550. So Garmin has agreed to replace it this time with a slightly more expensive Zumo 220. It should arrive on Monday. I'll write a full report after using it. The 220 comes with mounting hardware for both the bike and the car.

·
Ride it like a RENTAL
75 Posts
When I had my RoadKing I had a Tom Tom130S on a Ram mount, Worked great, got it up for better view, kept your eyes out of the cockpit, had a open mount when it wasn't raining, and a waterproof enclosure when it did. The enclosure decreased your view a little, but kept the unit working through some nasty downpours, and it took seconds to switch. Since I didn't have audio on the bike, hearing the prompts wasn't an issue..and it was CHEAP. I now have an Ultra with a fairing mounted Roadtech 665. Pricey but bought it for the same as a Garmin 665, and has voice prompts through the audio, saved my butt in NY this summer coming back from vacation...when if you took your eyes off the road for a millisecond they drove over you...and I love the weather radar..I use it all the time now....saved our butts in PA...avoided a BIG storm that made the news showing shredded trees when we got to our hotel for it's ping-pong ball sized hail OUCH!! Have been caught in hail before, NOT fun....As in Life "you Pay for what you Get"...But don't pay for what you don't need...My 2 cents:whistle:....Wild Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys. For now I am just going to install a Ram mount/charger for my existing Garmin 255W. Less than 30 bucks and it will do until I figure out a final configuration.

Tom

·
Registered
766 Posts
My Nuvi was about $80 brand new on Amazon....$35 for a Ram mount....and +1 on a ziplock bag for waterproofing. Gets the job done.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
check on a reman Zumo550 from Garmin. I have one and is very good.

Tarheelrdr.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
I consider a gps to be a safety device both on the bike and in the car. I can keep my eyes more on the road when I don't have to try to be looking at street signs, etc. The amount I look at the gps is much less than if I had to try to figure out which way I needed to go on strange roads.

·
Registered
766 Posts
GPS also prevents you from slamming on the brakes when you realize you're passing your turn.....also eliminates those "oh sh*t" moments when you fly past the road you just realized you wanted to take.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,762 Posts
The baggie thing is a bit agricultural, but would work. :)

However, I was looking for a waterproof model to begin with so as not to have to carry kitchen pantry stuff.

Tom
That falls under 'Depends on your desired features'. You weren't very specific.

joe

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
Depends on your desired features. My Nuvi 205W is $165 on Amazon. It's one of the more basic models. It does everything I need and works great. It it's raining, just slip a baggie over it.

joe
Thats what I have too. Mine is on a RAM mount and I'm perfectly happy with it. I paid about $100 for it refurbished.

·
Registered
12 Posts
CoPilot Live (locally installed maps, not cell signal required) on my iPhone 3GS mounted on the handlebars, powered via the front panel USB port on my Sony CDX-GT650UI head unit. Not waterproof, so it goes in an Aquabox when it's wet outside. No power the the iPhone when in the Aquabox, so if I'm on a trip in the rain, I only start CoPilot when I either near when I'm headed or there's a tricky interchange. 25k miles and it's still a great solution (for me, at least).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had the Zumo 550 since it first came out. It came with both the bike mount and a car mount. Recently it started causing me problems just turning off. I had it replaced by garmin, for $150. I've also got the unlimited updates for life on it. Not only is it waterproof, it's shock proof, and on a HD that's necessary. It keeps me off the interstate, and even though I generally have no idea where exactly I'm at, it always gets me to where I want. In my car, there's no telling how much gas and frustration I have avoided. I would recommended it.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,762 Posts
I've had the Zumo 550 since it first came out. It came with both the bike mount and a car mount. Recently it started causing me problems just turning off. I had it replaced by garmin, for $150. I've also got the unlimited updates for life on it. Not only is it waterproof, it's shock proof, and on a HD that's necessary. It keeps me off the interstate, and even though I generally have no idea where exactly I'm at, it always gets me to where I want. In my car, there's no telling how much gas and frustration I have avoided. I would recommended it.
Interesting claim... how and why are Harleys extra shock prone? Compared to what?

joe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts