V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, the 2001 Dyna is in desperate need of a clutch. I'm thinking of building up the motor later on so want to future proof it now. I've been looking at the Barnett Scorpion, Rivera Primo and Bandit Clutch. Can't make up my mind or find enough information on the forums as to which one i should go with. I like a stiffer clutch feel so rather not have a lot of assist but want the clutch to grab well.

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
202 Posts
All three of them are good and will do . Other will chime in with there personal preferences. I run a Barnett and like it. I run 1 step up from the softest spring they offer and clutch effort is lighter than stock.

·
Super Moderator
20,828 Posts
If its stock now, just put a set of plates in it. Then after you build the motor, put a clutch in that fits your torque needs for the new motor.

You can get a set of Alto oem style plates for about $70. And what you do for an upgrade will depend on what you do with the motor. If its much of a power increase, you'll be spending more like $500 for hub and a set of plates with increased friction area. And if you go big on the motor, you'll be spending more like $800 up, for a new clutch assm.

Alto clutch plates

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I'll be beefing up the motor very soon so I just want to get the new clutch in there. I've had extra plate kits in the past on other builds and they didn't seem to last long, I ride a little aggressively.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All three of them are good and will do . Other will chime in with there personal preferences. I run a Barnett and like it. I run 1 step up from the softest spring they offer and clutch effort is lighter than stock.
I've heard some people dislike the Barnett because it's either engaged or not. They way I understand this would be that there's no slipping and it grabs right away? I don't see that being an issue but what are your thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
202 Posts
I've heard some people dislike the Barnett because it's either engaged or not. They way I understand this would be that there's no slipping and it grabs right away? I don't see that being an issue but what are your thoughts on this?
I find no problem feathering mine if I'm on a slow roll like coming up to a light thats about to change or in a parking lot.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have used Barnett clutches in police motor skills competitions many times, lots of friction zone riding. They work great and withstand lots of abuse. When adjusted properly they have a very good grey area. lonslo

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I dont know how high a HP upgrade your looking to go but I have the primo pro clutch and primo basket. On my 124" the plain pro clutch held up until 155 hp before it slipped on the dyno. I then installed a primo variable pressure plate as we were running nitrous. I have no idea how much it can hold at max supposedly 250hp. Mine pulled 183hp on the dyno and no issues at all with slippage. If your planned numbers are below 140hp dont waste the money on the VPP. however the clutch pull was easier with the VPP. Had past experience with Barnett and they are also excellent but if I had to judge the primo is smoother out of the hole.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont know how high a HP upgrade your looking to go but I have the primo pro clutch and primo basket. On my 124" the plain pro clutch held up until 155 hp before it slipped on the dyno. I then installed a primo variable pressure plate as we were running nitrous. I have no idea how much it can hold at max supposedly 250hp. Mine pulled 183hp on the dyno and no issues at all with slippage. If your planned numbers are below 140hp dont waste the money on the VPP. however the clutch pull was easier with the VPP. Had past experience with Barnett and they are also excellent but if I had to judge the primo is smoother out of the hole.
I believe the primo uses a diaphragm spring, Barnett and Bandit use coils which makes it easier to adjust later on. I'd be looking at 100 HP max, big bore on my 88 inch motor, heads and cam. Nothing super fancy but a little bit more than an extra plate clutch can handle so I've been told.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have used Barnett clutches in police motor skills competitions many times, lots of friction zone riding. They work great and withstand lots of abuse. When adjusted properly they have a very good grey area. lonslo
Grey area meaning slippage? So the rumours I've heard about them being on/off clutches could be because they weren't adjusted correctly?

·
Super Moderator
20,828 Posts
I know I'll be beefing up the motor very soon so I just want to get the new clutch in there. I've had extra plate kits in the past on other builds and they didn't seem to last long, I ride a little aggressively.
Extra plate kits and big springs suck. That's the econo upgrade path.

·
not sober all the time
5,821 Posts
I installed a Primo in my '04 Road King. Plenty of grip, I don't have any issues feathering it, lighter than stock lever effort. I have really don't have enough power to test it. Right at 100/100 rear wheel. Must not be wearing much because it never needs adjusting but I've only got 40,000 miles or so on it. I'm happy with decision.

·
Super Moderator
20,828 Posts
I installed a Primo in my '04 Road King. Plenty of grip, I don't have any issues feathering it, lighter than stock lever effort. I have really don't have enough power to test it. Right at 100/100 rear wheel. Must not be wearing much because it never needs adjusting but I've only got 40,000 miles or so on it. I'm happy with decision.
Pro clutch is hard to beat. Pro clutch in a Trock basket is even better. Pro clutch in a Trock basket with a VPC is almost perfection.

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
I believe the primo uses a diaphragm spring, Barnett and Bandit use coils which makes it easier to adjust later on. I'd be looking at 100 HP max, big bore on my 88 inch motor, heads and cam. Nothing super fancy but a little bit more than an extra plate clutch can handle so I've been told.
I'm using a stock clutch with SE diaphragm on my 95 that if you believe the dyno sheet is doing 102 hp/104 tq and never had a slippage problem. My personal take is that if you're looking to max at a relatively lower number keep the stock clutch, change the diaphragm if it makes you feel better and save some cash. But that's just me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I used the OEM clutch, SE spring and a VPP on a 110/110 build and it held very well. When I eventually replaced the plates, I went with the Energy-1 extra plate and it was fine too. Less friction zone with the E-1 and a bit different to adjust - but both worked. The OE one and SE spring are plenty for 100/100.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Before you decide on a Rivera Primo, know that Ben Kudon isn;t there and has his own comany. It looks like there was a split. They are very limited in what they do. Lots of clearance sales. I used Primo on the last bike, I built around 2009. Big catalog then and I was a dealer for them. But, they are much smaller now. I'd give them a call to see if they are building parts or selling warehouse stock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts