V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Discarded Crew Member
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
Has anyone replaced their HD Radio/CD player with an aftermarket unit.
And if so which one and was it a pain to mount up?
I have had nothing but problems with my stock unit and HD has given me nothing but grief about it. Now that I have finally gotten them to send it in they wont even tell me what was done to the unit if anything....
Needless to say I figure for the grand HD wants for a new radio I can get a much higher quaity radio/cd player for my bike...
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I'm not aware of any aftermarket product that would permit use of the stock controls. And the units installed on the handle bars (on nondressers) look...well, funky.

IMHO, the stock H/D radio/stereo units are high quality & put out good sound on dresser bikes. You may want to drop the bucks & go for it!

·
Discarded Crew Member
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well PasadenaJim I am pretty sure you are correct in that no aftermarket radio will let you use the stock controls, but I could live with that (and convert my controls over to the non radio ones, except for the cruise control...) to get a much better quality system.
I will have to disagree somewhat with the HD and quality thing.. I do believe that HD like most other OEM prefer to use the lowest bidder system for what they buy..
Not that this is bad, but does lend to quality not being the first priority.
What would be nice if HD had set things up so that you could put in the newer system that they offer. since it will play MP3 disc.
Thanks for the reply, until now I had not really thought about wether or not I could still use the stock controls....
Later

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
ktwillys said:
well PasadenaJim I am pretty sure you are correct in that no aftermarket radio will let you use the stock controls, but I could live with that...
Dude. Are you blind? or just have me on ignore?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
ktwilly. Open your eyes, do a search in the touring forum, There's a ton about the Biketronics/retro radio unit that lets you use most sony head units in a simple plug and play format that ALSO USES THE STOCK HANDLEBAR CONTROLS! Everyone here who has used this setup has raved about it and the whole thing including the biketronics interface unit and a high end sony cd/mp3 head unit can be had for well under $500

·
Discarded Crew Member
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Adlerx,, needless to say but yep my eyes are wide open, I did do a search as a matter of fact I did a search a couple of times to no avail. Maybe I didnt use the right word but that doesnt mean that I didnt try and I am glad that there is so much info about this in the forum but alas I couldnt find it and so I posted..
Czar Thanks for the information... think I got what I needed.

Anyway I did just get off of the phone with Biketronics and as you all ready know they told me that it will work with the stock controls.
I did fail to ask about the rain factor, nope didnt do a search on that one.
Do they have a cover or just luck.
I am off to find the threads........
Before you go nuts about searching, I did and found some information so scratch the question. but it sure helps to know the secret word when doing a search... guess I will just have to keep posting until I figure out the secret word for searches..............

later again

later
Holy Cow a plethora of information... Czar. thanks again for getting me on the right track

1 - 10 of 10 Posts