V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I have read and heard from other baggers, I can expect to change rear brake pads about the same time I change the rear tire, if not sooner. I was wondering if there are after-market pads out there that give longer life without tearing up the rotor? Also which ones to avoid.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OOPS

Make that after-market BRAKE pads. My ability to take a break does not wear out.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
I guess it depends on your driving habits. My bike had 9400 miles on it when I got it and the rears were paper thin. I guess the previous owner liked the right hand foot rest :). The fronts are at 80%. Most articles I have seen puts most people at around 30k on the rears.

edit: as soon as wear out the new ones I just installed I can offer first hand advice.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I don't know about longer life.

I use the EBC Kevlar pads. They are quiet, apparently very easy on rotors, have good initial bite, work better then the OEM pads in the wet and are cheap. Did I mention they are quiet?

I would avoid any type of sintered pad unless you intend to road race the thing. They work very well, but only if kept up to temperature which is hard to do on a touring (or even street ridden) bike.

One of the reasons the pad life is shorter with the new design is that the friction material thickness even on new pads is very small, less then half of the pre 00 brake pads.

People are used to look at the old pads. One tends to believe the new style pads are worn until one sees the replacement parts.

·
Registered
331 Posts
EBC's works good

1 - 5 of 5 Posts