V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all that I've been reading here in this forum and others I would like to ask for your advise concerning my wide glide coming in next month. Would it be a good idea or is it necessary for me to monitor oil pressure and temperature?
I've seen oil dip sticks that have a built in temp gauge and I've also seen the other gauges that monitor oil pressure.
I'd appreciate any assistance, suggestions or advise.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Not needed. Just check your oil like ya should and pressure will be fine. The temps should not be a problem in Virginia. I ran my first RoadKing in Texas with no oil cooler. Put 51,465 miles on it from Feb 18, 2000 to May 4, 2002 without any problems with the oil.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you kindly, appreciate you takin' the time to help me out.

51 thousand + miles -- Wow! That's some serious ridin'

Thanks again!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
cox9000 said:
Would it be a good idea or is it necessary for me to monitor oil pressure and temperature?

cox9000,

No, its more important to monitor the road:D

I suppose there is no definitive answer for this one, its like the synthetic vs dino, oil cooler vs not, etc.

I think the best advice is change your oil and filter on a regular basis .

regards,

wyo

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've run my last two bikes ( an '83 Widglide and a '00 Fatboy ) here in Arizona and I've never had any problems with heat. I do have a gauge on my dipstick, but that just curiosity on my part. I watch what my oil looks like and I'm not above changing it after a long hot ride even if I haven't reached the magical milage mark. Basically, set up a regular schedule for oil changes, use quality oil and filters, and if the oil get burned or smelly, change it anyway. I feel that if you just use common sense and take reasonable care, you'll be riding your bike for many years.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
My BMW has an oil temperature guage right on the dash where you can see it. Kinda neat, except I'm not sure what good it is, I have NEVER pulled over and stopped when the oil temp got hotter than normal, just worried some. It did convince me to use synthetic oil though (oil temp can climb rather quickly at a long stop light in hot weather). Plus, the guages on the dipstick are not easy to see. With my luck I'd tip the damn bike over tryinng to check the oil temp. As you can probably guess, i don't have one on my 02 road king and dont have any plans to add one (did add a chrome dip stick and housing, however. I could see where that served a real purpose). greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts