V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Son is considerning selling his '04 Deuce and purchasing an '06 StreetGlide. Before taking delivery, he will have Dealer do the 120" swap.

His Deuce is F.I., but he's contemplating buying a "carbureted" SG for it's inherent simplicity in addition to being a better bargain when considering tuning and upkeep.

From reading posts here, it seems Jim's will have the FI 120 kit available in Jan. '06 which "may" carry a $2,000.00 bump in price as Wyo stated with the Zippers 120 induction kit. Depending on when his bike sells, first quarter of 2006 will probably be when he starts this project.

We would appreciate any input concerning the decision to go carbureted vs. injected. IMO, after owning carbureted and injected Harleys, in the long run the carbureted version will offer simplicity in maintenance, tuning, and overall upkeep. Most bang for the buck!

Thanks again,

:thanks:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I have to agree. Although I have FI and really like it, there are way more wrenches who can tune a carb motor than FI. And yes FI is more $$ to tune. You will however get better mileage with FI if properly tuned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
traveling

unless he will be traveling to and from higher or lower elevations the carb motor will perfom as well and be easier to tune as you have suggested. if changing eleveations frequently then a FI motor would be a better choice as they do compensation somewhat for the changes, so you wont run to lean or to rich. As for fuel enconomy if your worried about that dont get a 120", it is a high performance motor and will not get 45 MPG or even 40 MPG.

I have one in an 05 EG std and get about 37 MPG and 32 MPG if i hot rod it a bunch. I am going with the Jims 6 speed insert to get the overdrive for long hauls and a bit more economy. around town and hot rodding foget it.

good luck i really enjoy mine, some time when you just twist the gas it kinda just wants to scoot away effortlessly, smooth and fast. give it a big twist and hang on.....

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I was under the impression that the 120 does not carry the orignal vin number. SO you now have to register as a special constuct is that correct??

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
I was under the impression that the 120 does not carry the orignal vin number. SO you now have to register as a special constuct is that correct??
Only possibly in some states. Ohio goes by the VIN on the frame.
The VIN is on every title...So if its stolen or wrecked...the VIN match on the frame should be enough to verify it's the correct bike in any state.
I dont see it as an issue. Now in California...I would believe anything.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Hey buddy how have you been?? getting some cool nights by now huh?? I am looking forward to the cold weather going to be 90 here today. Nice in the evenings though with temps in the 70-80 range GREAT for riding now if I could only find time time LOL

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
WVRDKING-----You would want to contact your DMV in your state. If the bike has to be labelled a special construct you may want to look into the ramifications of that label when it comes to insurance and resale. FYI for anyone reading this in IL, I've spoke to the man at the DMV and they go with the VIN on the frame. So you could change out the motor and not have any problems.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
Hey buddy how have you been?? getting some cool nights by now huh?? I am looking forward to the cold weather going to be 90 here today. Nice in the evenings though with temps in the 70-80 range GREAT for riding now if I could only find time time LOL
Now what have I ever done to you?! I thought we were friends!
I dont remember making fun of you in mid summer when it's probably 113 degrees out there.....ops...sorry ..yes I do remember that.
Be safe!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
"it is a high performance motor and wont get 45mpg or even 40mpg."
I disagree. My FI 113" Roadglide consistently gets 44-45 mpg @ 80mph.
If mapped properly a 120" should have no problem getting 40mpg. The trick is finding someone who is willing to take the time required (and if one can afford it) to get maximum efficiancy from it.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
buckhtr77 said:
WVRDKING-----You would want to contact your DMV in your state. If the bike has to be labelled a special construct you may want to look into the ramifications of that label when it comes to insurance and resale. FYI for anyone reading this in IL, I've spoke to the man at the DMV and they go with the VIN on the frame. So you could change out the motor and not have any problems.
buck:

Just so happens I'm a Transportation Services Manager for the WV DMV; and we also use frame VIN unless it's a total construction project where an engine or transmission VIN can be used with Original MSO.

;)

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW:

Just wanted to thank everyone that's posted.

Didn't notice a similar post was already running in another forum. Maybe I posted in the wrong place...........

All opinions are appreciated!

:cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts