V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking and I would like some other opinions! Yep, Opinion are like
@@@holes, everyone has one, but here we go anyhow.

I just sold my 02 FXST for $12500. ?prty: I had in the local 'steeler' showroom for
5 weeks and didn't sell, but 5 looker that deposited money and then backed out of sale. So, I had to take it home as they steeler didn't want to keep it longer. On, Friday I had the salesperson call and said a guy was interested.
they gave my phone number, the guy called, he came by the house and wrote a check, all in one afternoon. Great for me.
Here's the question??? I want a 06 FLHXI, Black Cherry whick will not come in until middle of April! I guess thats not bad considering the demand.
But, I have found several available online within 250 miles, at maybe a little less money (no setup fee).
Would you wait?? Guess I would feel bad walking into dealer with a bike bought somewhere else. I cannot complain about the sales staff. Never had a big problem with service people, been there 4 years.
Well, whats your advice and please be honest and respectful.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
there are in the business to make money not freinds, so if you go somewhere else it's just business nothing else.

good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
443 Posts
You raise a valid piont. Though no dealer can deny work on a warranted bike, it doesn't mean they will get to it in any timely fashion, or finish it in the same. For the diff of a 250mi, same model year (new) bike, the savings would have to be pretty substantial for me to spring.

Just my oh-two

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
So what happens if it doesn't arrive in April as promised? Then you are stuck. I'm sure they would have no problem trying to sell you another color.

I'd buy the bike now and give your local dealer your parts and service business... maybe even buy the extended warranty there if that is possible. Your local dealer will end up making more money on the after-sales anyway.

I bought my bike from the local dealer and have now switched to one 45 minutes away due to the new dealer being equipped to service my bike (dyno), is open on for sales and service everyday, and is a nice ride each time I go. It was simply business.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
When it comes to dealers I have no loyalty. They are there for one reason TO TAKE YOUR MONEY! Go buy your bike and quit being such a softy. I have taken my bike to other dealers then where I bought it for warrenty work and they thanked me over and over for bringing it to them to do the work. I went by the dealer where I bought it and they were wondering where I had been LOL And asked if they could do anything for me. Pretty much kissed my ass trying to get my business. BTW I do all my own service.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I have no loyality either. Even if you do, people buy used bikes all the time. Never worried about with my bike. With other products my main worry was if I needed something worked on they may not try to squeeze me in.

I bought mine used got lots of extras. Stuff I would not have bought on my own.

I would look for a bike with 5-8k miles. Set and break in done, and piped, and extras already on it. Start adding up price of seat, pipes, ac ect.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Red02FXST said:

I just sold my 02 FXST for $12500. ?prty: I had in the local 'steeler' showroom for
5 weeks and didn't sell, but 5 looker that deposited money and then backed out of sale. So, I had to take it home as they steeler didn't want to keep it longer. On, Friday I had the salesperson call and said a guy was interested.
they gave my phone number, the guy called, he came by the house and wrote a check, all in one afternoon. Great for me.
Here's the question??? I want a 06 FLHXI, Black Cherry whick will not come in until middle of April! I guess thats not bad considering the demand.
But, I have found several available online within 250 miles, at maybe a little less money (no setup fee).
Would you wait?? Guess I would feel bad walking into dealer with a bike bought somewhere else. I cannot complain about the sales staff. Never had a big problem with service people, been there 4 years.
It sounds like you like your relationship with the dealer. I can appreciate that. He is in business to make money. His survival depends on it. So does yours. Tell him what kind of deal you have on the hook and OFFER him a chance to match (or beat) it. How can you lose?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
If you are satisfied with your dealer, and he gives you good service, buying a bike from another dealer is not a very good way of supporting that service. If I wanted that particular machine, and my dealer did not have it, and another dealer did, I would ask my dealer if he could do a transfer with the other dealer so I could have my bike faster. If he cannot do it, and cannot talk you into another color, at least you have given him a chance.
If you just go get the other machine and show up with it, what is the message you are giving your dealer? And what is the message you are giving yourself?
Yes, dealers are in business to make money, why else for goodness sake? But when they come through for you, then I think you should come through for them as well. If you don't, and it doesn't bother you at least a little, then you are pretty self-centered.
There is an old saying that you always take care of those that take care of you. I think this applies to dealers as well.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I've never got anything from a dealer, I didn't pay for.

Some of you other guys might be differant, bought multiple bikes ect.

Only thing I go to dealer for is putting tires on rim and some parts. So if the dealer likes or doesn't like me, really doesn't effect me.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Always go for the best price. That is exactly what all dealers do to customers. They try to make the maximum they can off of you. If you can find a used bike for a good deal then go get it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a good dealer I've used for 24 years. We are getting old together and I have seen his family grow up and almost take over the business. Do I "owe" him anything? Not really!

I do feel I owe him every chance to sell me a scoot or service when I need it. He's always been good to me. He knows my face and always has time to B/S with me or discuss a problem I might have. That's worth a lot to me.

As far as the metric shops I use. I wouldn't give them the sweat off of my a## if they were dying of thirst! You never meet the owner and they change personell darn near as often as I change underwear. :( It also seems the shops are sold every two years.

Your situation might be different, but if I had a good independent dealer I could work with, I would try to stay with him!

Good Luck either way........

·
?????
3,531 Posts
You have to look at how your relationship is with your current dealer. If its nothing special then do what makes you feel good, just remember they did in a round about way help you sell your bike. Another thing to keep in minde is a good dealer relationship can make a difference when you have a questionable warranty claim. If he like you he'll get it done, if he's ticked because you bought the bike someplace else he won't go the extra mile. Between my dad and I we have bought 6 bikes off the dealer we do buisness with, we have been more than happy with the service. When we stop by we're greeted with a hand shake and good conversation, if we decided to have some work done over the winter they come out with a enclosed trailer and pick the bike up and then bring it back when done. If we have service being done in the summer time we can take one of their rental or demo bikes out and ride while they do the service on our bikes. I found a good dealer and it's a keeper to me, I've even made some good friends.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Red02FXST said:

Don't worry about hurting a salesman's feelings. They have none. ALso the Sales and Service depts rarely talk to each other. They are sworn blood enemies.

Actually, I would give them an opportunity to match the offer. THey wil understand. It's just business.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
I'd probably just wait. I ordered the 2004 Ultra tht I have and waited 90 days for a black one to come in. I enjoyed the anticipation. Also, it's local. I don't go to the dealer much, but I tend to buy locally.

One thing, I guess it won't matter nowadays but in 1993 when bikes were scarce and on a list, I tried to buy one from the dealer in Reno, Nevada, about 120 miles from my home. He wouldn't sell it to me due to the zip code and location. He said it had to do with his allocation of bikes. It could be that he just wanted to cater to his locals first. I finally got one in Sacramento when someone backed out. They may be more liberal nowadays.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
:chopper: Here's another thought. Talk to your dealer. Let him know you want that bike now and ask him to trade another dealer for one you want. No, this is not insanity. My first HD, an '04 sportster like I wanted came from a dealer 175 miles away. My dealer traded that dealer for the bike I wanted. How they traded, etc., was immaterial to me. The title app I got was even from the dealership in Sedalia, MO. Dealers trade bikes with one another all the time. They should be doing more of this now that they all have lots of bikes. You want the bike. See if he can get it for you. Make him earn his "set-up" money. Also, make him earn your loyalty. Like you, I have a decent dealer, and I like buying locally, but that works both ways.

Lefty

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Get what you want in life.

I personally don't get it. I buy American, more then many on this board. But that is not even the case here.

Everything you pass by is something you will not get.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tommy Meisel said:
If you are satisfied with your dealer, and he gives you good service, buying a bike from another dealer is not a very good way of supporting that service. If I wanted that particular machine, and my dealer did not have it, and another dealer did, I would ask my dealer if he could do a transfer with the other dealer so I could have my bike faster. If he cannot do it, and cannot talk you into another color, at least you have given him a chance.
If you just go get the other machine and show up with it, what is the message you are giving your dealer? And what is the message you are giving yourself?
Yes, dealers are in business to make money, why else for goodness sake? But when they come through for you, then I think you should come through for them as well. If you don't, and it doesn't bother you at least a little, then you are pretty self-centered.
There is an old saying that you always take care of those that take care of you. I think this applies to dealers as well.
Yep, your right about sending a message. I gave the dealer sales a chance to transfer the Street Glide. Sales refused to do that. Said next bike was in middle of April when seems like 6 dealers I checked have the model and color I want. It's my opionion the Sales Manager is jerking me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts