V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new here, so bear with me. I am really not mechanical saavy, but have a passion for motorcycles. Mostly old school. I posted this in the Chopper section, but there seems to be a larger following here.
Before:

After:

I recently chopped my 1994 Harley 1200 sportster. Installed a Seeger chopper kit, 21" front SS spoked wheel and tire, 19" solid SS rear with tire, forward controls, 10" rear shocks (stock were on before) and misc. other stuff.

My question is, what is the next step? I spent a fortune doing the previously mentioned, but I would like to continue dressing her a little at a time. So, if some of you can look at the pictures of my chopper, I would appreciate some feed back on what I should do next. There are some pics of my sportster before I chopped it too.

Keep in mind, I dont want to spend huge chunks, but am willing to drop 2-300 dollars at a time to keep the customizing going. A list would be nice so I can research costs.

Thanks all!
:chopper:

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Looks good the way it is. Great job. How about a bobbed rear fender?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny you mentioned that

jockeyshift said:
Looks good the way it is. Great job. How about a bobbed rear fender?
A good friend of mine that I meet for drinks every friday keeps saying the same thing!
He is my age, big bushy beard and rides a stock sportster. I have been talking to him since I started this chopper quest since last Nov 2005.
Now you're the 2nd person that brought this up.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Merged the threads.....please do not cross post...

Welcome to the forum!

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
Paint the beltguard black. IMO losing that highly visible 'stripe' running counter to the lines of the bike will help. Speaking of making parts disappear, consider painting the front fender black.
An S&S teardrop aircleaner cover shows more of the engine and is my personal all time favorite. I am fond of Mustang "bucket" style seats on Sportsters, they reduce that slabsided look.
I did the smaller aircleaner-Mustang seat on my ironhead Sporty and it looked great.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Your bike looks great, so take all comments as worth exactly what you paid for them.

To me, a great looking chopper is all about the lines and the flow. If it were me, I'd look to do something with the stock tank. With the engine box setting level, (excellent job), I'd try to lengthen the top lines for a long smooth flow from the bars down through the saddle and into the rear fender.

I've always had a thing for round soft curves. :boobies: :chopper:

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Milehog said:
Paint the beltguard black. IMO losing that highly visible 'stripe' running counter to the lines of the bike will help....
Very good point!!

Also noticing your oil bag has a angle that is "running counter to the lines of the bike". There are some aftermarket companies make a horseshoe style bag that will accommodate your battery. That would give it a clean line also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you say horshoe....is it like my Indian as shown below?

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Yep, that would be the type. Same as a Softail.

·
Registered
39 Posts
chopped sporty

Bike looks great! Is that seeger kit 13 degrees? How many inches over are the tubes? I have been thinking about an AME or Seeger kit for my 03 sport. AME offers a 9 over kit leaning towards that. How does the bike handle? Looks like you have small apes like me. Did you do the install of the kit yourself? These damn sportsters are like barbie dolls. POP

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Looks great and other than what has been mentioned I would only suggest that you give it some serious thought of when enough is enough.

When will it become best to say that the bike is finished and start a new project so you don't tinker it into a monster.
I have seen bikes like yours go from projects to passions to compulsions where it begins to look like a gaudy show queen with every single part triple chromed.
Not that there is anything wrong with that -- but when it reaches the point that you hesitate to ride it because it will get dirty then it becomes a show bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
K-POPPY said:
Bike looks great! Is that seeger kit 13 degrees? How many inches over are the tubes? I have been thinking about an AME or Seeger kit for my 03 sport. AME offers a 9 over kit leaning towards that. How does the bike handle? Looks like you have small apes like me. Did you do the install of the kit yourself? These damn sportsters are like barbie dolls. POP
10" over tubes. I didnt do the install myself. All the work I had done was from a shop that all they do is customizing. He charged me 10 hours plus wheel mounting and balancing. At 40.00 an hour, it was a steal. He is a perfectionist too. Did a beautiful job.

As far as handling? well, its like nite and day compared to what it was. There are no quick turns or manuevers. You have to anticipate everything. Once on the open road, its like driving a cadillac. Very smooth. Just be very careful on hard turns and areas that require split second decisions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jams said:
Looks great and other than what has been mentioned I would only suggest that you give it some serious thought of when enough is enough.

When will it become best to say that the bike is finished and start a new project so you don't tinker it into a monster.
I have seen bikes like yours go from projects to passions to compulsions where it begins to look like a gaudy show queen with every single part triple chromed.
Not that there is anything wrong with that -- but when it reaches the point that you hesitate to ride it because it will get dirty then it becomes a show bike.
I dont want a show bike. I wanted an old school chopper. I am thinking of taking the front fender off and bobbing the rear. I think that is the next step.
Might put a new headlight on too.

I have enough chrome to shine between my Indian and this bike....sheesh. 5 hours later and all my fingers hurt. but its worth it...LOL

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
It is hard to give much advice from looking at the pictures.

I would call the front end finished and leave the front fender on. Put a Badlander seat on with a three inch tall grab handle sissy bar and then rotate the rear fender forward to keep the same cut on the fender but up higher.

Oh ya, paint the chain guard black so it disappears.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Here is my short list:

Peanut tank
Fatboy oil tank
Bobbed fender
Solo Seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Velocity stack or something small like that.
Get rid of cowbell on the other side... yeah, I'm psychic.

It is looking great... keep taking stuff off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Customizing

Yea, the cowbell is going, gonna get a better looking air filter cover, everyone is right about the belt cover, it looks out of place. Will paint that black.

Like the advice "Badlander seat on with a three inch tall grab handle sissy bar and then rotate the rear fender forward to keep the same cut on the fender but up higher."

I dont understand the "peanut tank" thing. I thought a peanut tank is on my scooter.

Sorry if I sound stupid. This is my first bike I have chopped and I am not to well versed in the terminology. Thanks so much for all the advice!

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
The Sportster tank is called a peanut tank when it is not called a Sportster tank :D

But a real peanut tank looks more like what they call a "Mustang" tank I think

Mustang tanks are flatter and more rounded

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
With a deep tunnel mustang tank it would lower the lines of your bike and compliment the low-long front end instead of having the Sportster tank looking like a tall hump on the frame.:cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts